“Very Good Value , Old World Charm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel

You added Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel to your Saves list
Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   215 Little Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #84 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
phillip island australia
“Very Good Value , Old World Charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

This was a lovely old hotel, right in the middle of Little Collins St at the" Paris End ". Staff at the reception area were great. Very pleasent and quite helpful with information and service We stayed in a HERITAGE room which had recently been renovated. Room s was quite nice and very well renovated to bring out the old world charm. Exceptionally clean and tidy. It had a flat screen t.v. as well with a nice writting desk with accessories for the laptop that u might bring. The bathroom was quite small with just a shower but it was brand spanking new and fresh. Breakfast was buffet style in the adjoining resturant. Quite nice and this resturant also has THAI banquets and a la carte at night. Very nice food at very inexpensive prices and plenty of it. The serves were huge!. All over the hotel is a good choice if visiting Melbourne and is very inexpensive. It also a great bar with a pool table and it has charming original leadlight windows which are beautiful. The pool and spa is good though it could have been warmer. There is agreat view of the city from that area together with a good gym for those wanting to keep fit. We enjoyed are stay. Recommend this hotel for a good budget choice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
GeneralManager215, General Manager at Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2009
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Thank you for your post - as you are aware The Victoria Hotel Melbourne is undergoing some refurbishments, which will bring her back to her former self! Thank you again for sharing your experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Victoria Hotel Melbourne. The General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Parramatta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

Before my travels to Melbourne I was searching for the perfect hotel to stay at. I wanted to stay at a hotel that was in a great location, reasonable priced, a home away from home, beautiful place to stay, swimming pool, good service, reasonable sized rooms, clean and lastly great bed and breakfast deal.

I searched on the internet for two whole days then I finally found The Victoria Hotel I did the check list and thought it was just the one. So I then called up had the dates set and decided to do the breakfast deal . Rates going at Thursday 5th single room + breakfast one person $97.00 Friday 6h $107.00 and lastly Saturday 7th $107.00. I booked the room but did not leave a deposit and arranged to pay for the room on arrival. The hotel does not require a deposit for the rooms. Another reason why I booked as I do not have a debit nor credit card and many hotels do require some form of a deposit and credit card details.

Little did I know The Victoria Hotel was nothing like I had expected it to be.

I arrived at the hotel checked in was given a key to my room with no directions of how to get there. I then made the mistake in asking how to get to AAT kings tours I provided them with the address 15 mins later and 3 reception clerks I was issued with a map and told to go left read and follow the signs and I would eventually find my own way. They had given me the wrong directions.

I also had asked if on Saturday is there any way I can arrange to have my breakfast early as I had to leave the hotel by 7.30am they had told me that there was no way this could happened.

I found that the reception services very poor, not helpful or understanding. I strongly believe if you are working at a hotel especially in the reception part you should have knowledge of the area and know how to get from A-Z especially tour companies among other places. Yet no one knew where to go and in fact they just laughed at their lack of knowledge and put it off as a joke. This was very distressing to me as I was new in Melbourne and the last thing I needed was incompetent reception clerks.

First bad experience there was poor service from the reception. Second would be the lift. Now the lift states that it is fit to hold up to 14 people which that is very misleading. In my opinion it would be just big enough to hold 4 people including their luggage nowhere near 14. The lifts were really run down and stuffy definitely not for anyone who is claustrophobic.

The Victoria hotel is like a maze it took me 10 mins to try and find my room on level 3. When I finally found my room I required assistance from the cleaner to help open the door as my key did not work. The key often didn’t not work at first try took 4 attempts nearly every time I tried to open the door.

The room was nothing what I expected I walked in and wanted to walk right back out. The carpet was old stained. The room was quite small. Nothing like the photos on the website. They had the normal bedside table, clock phone, room safe * apparently a key was supposed to be issued I never received one or asked if I wanted one*, a single bed, table, chair, mini fridge that could not even fit a 2l juice, television, mirrored wardrobe and a small-medium bathroom.

The bathroom was small-medium. The shower was the worst the sliding doors are quite small I am a large size and I hit my side many times getting in and out of the shower. I could only imagine the struggle someone twice the size of me would have and the injuries they may sustain. The shower was complicated it was either you were showering cold or really hot where you would burn yourself every day was different the water strength was really weak. I never felt refreshed after showering.

The toilet was a disaster it hardly if ever flushed properly you needed two hands just the flush it and a whole lot of strength and when it did a full flush water ended up all over the toilet seat.

The bed had to be pushed against the wall as when you laid on it the bed went everywhere. Very poor bedding. I ended waking up with a sore back.

On the second day at the hotel I had noticed another door in my room. It was a door with a lock and I had no idea where it led. The third night I kind figured it was another hotel room and whoever was in there had the television up really loud which kept me up for most of the night. I did not like the idea of have two rooms connected just by a door. I felt unease about the idea and did not feel quite safe.

As for the bed and breakfast don’t let the bed part fool you would need to get out of bed and go to Alice’s restaurant breakfast served 7-10am Monday – Saturday and Sunday 7.00-10.30am.

They have a full buffet breakfast. The first morning I decided to have bacon, eggs and toast with some fruit and orange Juice.
The toaster either undercooked or overcooked your toast each day was different. The bacon I have no idea how it was cooked but it was saturated in oil and fat and not cooked properly. The eggs appeared at least a day old not fresh at all. The fruit I had to force it was soggy and far from fresh.

The best part of the breakfast was the orange juice. After my meal I felt really sick and greasy I had to have another shower even after the shower I still felt really greasy.

The next few days I just had toast, juice and a croissant. I was fine toast was great good old peanut butter and vegemite you can never go wrong with that.

The seats at Alice’s restaurant were small and uncomfortable. The best part of the restaurant was the bathrooms also know as toilets. As soon as I entered the bathroom I was amazed the design was very beautiful it was a Victorian theme. Beautiful diamond blue tiles and oval mirrors throughout the bathroom I even had to take photos it was that beautiful.

On the second night I decided I wanted to go for a swim and I was very excited as the pool looked so large in the photos and was on the roof top added bonus.

I walked right in to the pool area shock my head in disgrace and walked right back out. The pool was so small my bedroom at home is much larger than the pool and my room is quite small.

I went in the night time and well there was no roof top at all. This was one of the biggest disappointments of the whole hotel as I was really excited to go for a swim to only go and see such a small area and nothing like the photos.

As I was about the catch the lift back down to my room I saw another guest and asked them have they seen the pool area and what they thought of it. They had told me “it was nothing what they had expected quite small for their liking”. I also asked how their stay was. T

hey told me they had checked in for 4 nights and were leaving on the second as the hotel was a big disappointment and that they were booked into such a small room the double room. It was not what they had expected. They even paid extra money to have to room refurbished which did not make much of a difference.

My hotel room was cleaned daily and I take my hat off to the cleaners they did a really good cleaning the hotel and were all so kind and friendly.

Every time I passed them in the hallways they would smile and ask how I was. The cleaners were by far much nicer then the reception clerks who I found quite rude.

On one occasion upon checking out. I had left my bags in the luggage storage area so I could go and have breakfast. The clerk there greeted me rudely . After breakfast I went to go and collect my bags the luggage area was closed had a message for me to go to reception. I went there stood around the staff had ignored me and went on to service customers who came after me. I then was finally noticed by a male clerk and I kindly said I need to claim my luggage and that there was a sign for me to come here. He then mumbled something I had said again what I was there for and he rudely told me I will be there in a few seconds. I went over to the luggage department waited and waited as he just went on serving new customers who came after me. Mind you there were at least 5 other staff members at the reception desk. Then finally someone came not him and I was checked out and all set to go. I personally could not be any happier to get out of the place.

Overall my stay at The Victoria Hotel was a big disappointment the rooms are overpriced and not worth the money paid. The whole stay was nothing but misleading. The really good part of my stay was the bathroom in Alice’s restaurant as I love Victorian theme. Also the amazing cleaning staff who indeed make my time there a more pleasant stay. I thank the cleaners for doing an amazing job and their friendliness towards the guest.

Would I stay in the hotel again??? No definitely not. Would I recommend the hotel??? No I would definitely not recommend it.

Lastly if the reception clerks had of been more helpful, understanding and polite my stay would have be more enjoyable in spite of the room, lift, pool and the food. I strongly believe it isn’t the room that makes the stay unforgettable it’s the service which clearly they failed at that.

• Liked — The cleaning services the people did their job well the hotel was very clean as well as my room. The cleaning staff were very friendly.
  • Disliked — The reception staff who are rude and lack basic knowledge. The pool area just about the whole hotel.
  • Stayed February 2009
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

Stayed in Standard room was old and needed some painting and some updating Was in good location near Town hall etc

• Liked — good location
  • Disliked — paintwork
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GeneralManager215, General Manager at Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2009
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

This hotel is in Central Melbourne so easy access to shops, the river and Melbourne Park - and I think it is quite cheap out of tennis season, but it wasn't for our stay. That's were the good stuff ends.

The hotel is a bit of a mess. It has obviously had a number of superficial upgrades over the years, all done on the cheap, and none of them sympathetic to the character of the building. We stayed in a double room which was tired, dark, and had an ensuite with dodgy plumbing. The room and bathroom fittings were worn and bit grubby, the air con unit had seen better days, and the electric toilet shredder (as the ensuite was not fitted with proper soil pipe) allowed nasty whiffs in to the room. Giant spanking new TV, but sadly not much in the way of cable channels (a must when in Oz as the local stuff is a shocker).

Hotel pool had a good view of all the nicer hotels in the area. Despite the minuscule size of the pool it was still too big for anyone to clean, and the scum on the bottom made it slippy and you could write you name on the filth on the tiles above the waterline. We stayed on a prepaid 2 night tennis package through Qantas and the front desk had some confusion as to whether breakfast was included in our package. The day we were allowed breakfast it was OK, but there are plenty of better places to eat nearby if you have have the choice.

Front desk staff were a bit stretched as it was very busy, but it was no excuse for the "if you have a problem with the hotel if must be the customer's fault, not ours" approach espoused by the charmless duty manager. Unsurprisingly, we won't be back.

Stayed January 2009
GeneralManager215, General Manager at Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2009
Thank you for your feedback. Sorry you feel the hotel is a mess, but this grand old lady is in the midst of a major renovation. By the end of 2009 over half of the hotel will have new rooms, plumbing, ducted air conditioning and furnishings. You can see these new rooms on our website and you can also book via either the website or contact the hotel directly. I regret you found the staff less helpful than you wanted, I will use your comments to aid staff training, they were most useful. Thank you once again for your feedback and we do hope you welcome you back to The Victoria Hotel.
canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

this hotel is in a great part of town if you are attending anything at the MCG or Tennis Centre. 15 minutes easy walk to both venues with Federation Square , Flinders St station and great shopping all within 5 mins walk.

My only complaint was that the lights in the bathroom did not work at all and were not fixed before I left (4 days is a bit too long for essential maintenance). Luckily i was out from the early arv until late evening so had no need to do makeup etc so was not a major drama for me.- this time!

The hotel is clearly in two halves - a much more updated style and the half that clearly needs more work. All in all very serviceable - didn't eat at the restaurant so unable to comment but my room was large, airconditioned and very comfortable albeit a bit hard to find . Not all room numbers are included on the signage but a bit of roaming soon had me where I needed to be.

Will definately stay again.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

I went to Melbourne in August 08 for a 4 day break. Stayed at The Victoria Hotel. I was booked into a single standard room. First thing i noticed was the windows weren't able to be opened. It gave the room a claustraphobic feel at times.

The room had an ensuite bathroom which was clean and fine. There was a fridge, safe,bed, bedside table, tv and desk with chair.

The safe was excellent for keeping spare cash and passport in. The fridge was fantastic. It meant i could shop at the supermarkets for meals and not have to eat out all the time.

I didnt like my bed very much. The mattress was very uncomfortable. I asked to switch to another room but the staff weren't able to do that.

The location of the hotel is the reason i booked. Its right in the middle of the city. Everything is close by.

There is a pool, spa and small gym upstairs. The pool is small but really nice.
It would have been nice for a staff member to have kept an eye on the pool area so us guests who were being annoyed by children diving in the pool, running around, screaming and generally being annoying could have enjoyed our time in peace.

I would definitely stay here again but in a bigger room that has an opening window.

• Liked — budget hotel with a pool
  • Disliked — uncomfortable mattress
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

I booked one single queen room for AU$110 per night for two nights. Upon check-in, the reception manager proposed to upgrade me to one of their newly refurbished rooms, free of charge. You bet I accepted!

When I caught a glimpse of the regular rooms and compared them to the new ones, there seems to be a major, major improvement in the quality and standards of this hotel. My new room was spotless and so clean, thick rug, nice flat screen, elegant mahogany furniture and very modern bathroom. High speed internet in the rooms is at AU$12 for 24 hours, which is the cheapest I've seen throughout Australia.

They have a reliable and efficient porter service to keep luggage, free of charge, after check-out. Also, there is a taxi rank right outside the hotel (approx AU$40+ to the airport).

As for location, it's on a very quiet street, within walking distance of every central Melbourne attraction.

Finally, as for booking, it is worth noticing it was very straightforward using Accor Hotels generic website, since the Victoria Hotel is part of the All Seasons group.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
The General Manager

Been to Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!