“grand old charm and service to match” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Direct For Free WiFi
Ranked #22 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
melbourne
“grand old charm and service to match”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

such a beautiful overnight stay with an afternoon tea,(scones to die for) and buffet breakfast,full hot and cold.Even dietary requirements were promptly delivered(after pre arranged request)Wait staff,on the spot and not too intrusive.
Valet park warmly greeted and whisked away the vehicle($35 overnight)
prompt and efficient check in.Staff helpful with luggage anddirections.
Drinks pre arranged delivered to room upon arival.
A deluxe suite,3rd floor,with enough space for 2 guests and room for the luggage and a sitting area.
King size bed with pillow menu.Marble bathroom,with shower over bath and toiletries aplenty.
Lovely view of the Parlaiment houses across the road (Spring St)
trams right outside the front and a very helpful and friendly concierge and valet.
Nothing too much of a trouble!!! This is the way to stay for luxury and peace and quiet and service.Top notch!!
Would love to see a pool and a day spa,maybe though.
Such beautifully kept premises.
What a delight after a shocking and devastating couple of weeks.(this stay was donated by friends)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

Great location with easy access by tram. The popular and highly regarded Rossi Fiorentino Restaurant within 5 minutes' walk and so are other eateries. Staff are friendly and helpful and would try their best to search for restaurants according to your wish and taste. The only thing I would complain about is that hot water from the shower did take quite a long time to come by.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

Stayed at the Windsor at Xmas time 08. Had been meaning to stay at this grand old hotel for some time. This hotel is unique in Australia and comes complete with tradition, character and charm that you will find nowhere else.

We booked through Hotel Club and got a good rate given the time of the year. Check in was fast and the concierge very polite and helpful but I expected nothing less from this Hotel as I had heard the staff members are unpretentious, and efficient.

We stayed in a Victorian suite which was lovely but small. Bedding was comfortable but pillows were really bad, but that may be just me as I am very fussy with pillows. The room looked out onto a dirty courtyard which was not pleasant but we were there to shop mostly so this did not bother us too much.

Full buffet breakfast was good but a tad light on; however the high ceilings and general ambience of the building in general made up for this and was a pleasant start to the day. We enjoyed walking the hallways and down the staircase which exhumed character and history.

The best thing I found with the Hotel was the location; close to great shopping on Collins and little Collins streets and close to restaurants and China town, also a cab stand directly out front meant transport was never an issue especially as we headed to the Casino and clubs at night.

All in all a good hotel and well priced for the rating. Would I recommend it yes, would I stay there again possibly yes.

Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

In an increasingly modernised world the Hotel Windsor is a beautiful Victorian (era not state!) building located in a lovely area of Melbourne's city centre.

As a local I could not pass up the special price promotions for its 125th anniversary and spent an evening revelling in the delightful hotel.

My Superior Room was at the back of the hotel on the top floor. I overlooked a carpark which wasnt at all noisy and the curtains were thick and blocked out every inch of light. I loved walking the corridors to reach my room, wondering what kinds of people had preceded me walking the same route to get to it when they stayed there in the past.

I ordered Room Service which was delicious and very well presented. I also ordered a pillow from their pillow menu which was fun! DVD players were available on request and mine was hooked up for me while I was out buying chocolates at the Haigh's shop around the corner.

The bath was luxuriously deep and the Natio products supplied were very welcomed as I had forgotten to bring my own. I enjoyed lounging around in the thick bathrobes before getting ready to go out.

Newspapers are complimentary and left outside your door in the morning.

I chose to breakfast at a cafe a few doors down called the European. It was recommended to me the previous night by the waitress of the upstairs Supper Club and I was not disappointed. Both places were fantastic.

I left my bags with concierge the day I checked out whilst I went shopping and was assisted by the lovely doorman when I hauled my purchases back!

An historic hotel that I thoroughly enjoyed staying in and look forward to doing so again someday.

• Liked — The historic building, architectures and decor
  • Disliked — the carpark views (but dont all hotels have one?!)
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

My partner and I stayed in a standard room as part of a promotion. As both of us have formerly lived in Melbourne, the Windsor has been a hotel both of us have wished to stay at for some time, previously dining and drinking at 111 and the Cricketers Bar. The standard room was somewhat small – however as it is listed as the most basic room in the hotel of course this is not surprising. That said, the room was not poky by any means, and all of the facilities were those expected of a five star hotel. The mini bar facilities were excellent, with an emphasis on independent and local drinks and snacks where possible (the organic lemonade was a delight! Not to mention the amazing koko black chocolate).

The concierge was incredibly helpful in arranging airport transfers at short notice, and the staff were lovely when assisting with room service, mini bar and toiletries requests. The building itself is beautiful, and a true Australian architectural icon. Meandering around the hotel was immensely pleasing.

• Liked — the hotel building and elegance
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

Got a decent deal $125 for a Saturday stay at the windsor on account of their 125 anniversary....expected a lot but was dissapointed there was some renovation around the hotel and my room had it's share of noise also the doors close very hard so the whole night was restless as there was noise everywhere...nothing special but has a decent location.Concierge was helpfull and arranged an airport transfer but other than that not too good or what you would expect from them

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — NOISE..
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

I've read some of the reviews and disagree. My husband and I stayed there recently and we had a beautiful room with lovely decorations and very clean and fresh. We overlooked the park and had plenty of space in the room. The staff were great as well. Everything was clean, well presented, and we thought it was fantastic. yes, it must have been a great hotel in its day and still is in this day. We had lovely blue carpeting and matching blue drapes and chairs. We didn't have one of the expensive rooms either, it was a room. It's about matching your needs to expectations. The person writing the review based on his business trip chose the wrong hotel for his needs. If you want a business hotel, you'd go for a different sort of place. If you want a place full of history that has an atmosphere of the past, this is more your place. And the Grand Final writer with a mouldy room, well, all I can say is I was there at the same time and had a totally different experience.
It was a place where you can really feel like the past is still alive somewhere, and people care about you.
I loved it. Shame others didn't have the same experience we did.

• Liked — old world charm, including top hats and tails at reception
  • Disliked — the other reviews I've read
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Hotel Windsor? Share your experiences!