“Good if you can get a deal” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Direct For Free WiFi
Ranked #21 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Wyndham Vale, AU
“Good if you can get a deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Got a cheap rate through online deal. Would have been disappointed if I had paid full rate for superior room.
Room was very large, but floor in room was not level, room service breakfast was average.
Staff were great, location is terrific,
An older hotel in need of some TLC, but worth a visit if you can get a deal.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Nick M, Rooms Division Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Kylie B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us.

It is wonderful to hear that you were able to take advantage of such a great offer and visit both our hotel and Melbourne.

I have forwarded your comments onto our CEO, David Perry for his attention as it is important to us that our room and suite rates are reflective of our product. This is always constantly being evaluated and I thank you for your feedback.

I hope that we may again have the pleasure of your company in the future and as always if required I am at your service.

2,417 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Korean first
Clarinda, AU
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

The friendly ,smiling, courteous and helpful staff, charming surroundings good location. Piano playing in the foyer, wide corridors,the history of the building on display .Comfortable bed with lots of pillows to choose from, the good quality curtains which made the room dark during the day perfect for a little nana nap. All of the above made my stay a very memorable one.

Dear Gail P,

Thank you so much for your kind words and review of our hotel.

It really is fantastic to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that all the little pieces came together to make it such a memorable one.

I hope that we may have the pleasure of your company once more and until then we do as always remain at your service.

Hobart, AU
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

The old-fashioned charm of the Windsor is still evident: a beautiful building, with quirky features, and very well situated in town. Extremely professional and courteous staff. I've stayed in several rooms, each of which has its charm, though this visit I was upgraded to a Windsor Suite which was extraordinary. Sometimes the front desk and the restaurant for breakfast get busy and service is a little slower, but it hardly matters because this hotel recalls a different era; charm, courtesy and quality are the reasons you'd stay here rather than an impersonal and corporate chain hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Anna J,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It is wonderful to hear that you were able to enjoy the additional space with an upgrade to our Windsor Suite and that our service teams looked after you oh so well.

Auckland, NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We chose the Windsor as it was close to our son's apartment, who we were visiting from NZ. The location and charm of the Hotel was a great surprise - felt like we had been transported into another world. Having been delayed en route for 26 hours, the extremely comfortable bed was very welcome, as was the laundry service, and being able to walk to our various destinations. Loved the history display . And the slow roasted whole tomatoes for breakfast were tops.
We'll be back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Sue A,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne.

It is absolutely wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that we may have the pleasure of your company once more.

Rest assured I will be sharing your kind words with our service and kitchen teams.

With our warmest regards,

Kinglake, AU
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We had a fantastic experience staying at the Windsor.
We were first greeted by the valet service and these gentlemen were welcoming and courteous. This set a standard for the rest of our short stay. All staff were well presented and polite. We enjoyed lunch and a beverage in the cricketers bar and later dined in the gorgeous restaurant.
Perfectly located with public transport, theatres, shows, shopping, cafes and restaurants all within walking distance of the front door.
We drove to the hotel and used the valet service and this was fantastic. We didn't need our car in the city and we didn't need to worry about finding long term parking.
We well recommend this experience to anyone wanting to explore or enjoy Melbourne

Dear Rebecca C,

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel.

It is wonderful to what that you enjoyed your stay with us and your time in Melbourne. The pleasure of course was all ours.

Until next time we remain as always at your service.

Frankston, AU
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Great location, old world charm, personal treatment and a genuine interest in us having an enjoyable stay - what more could you want.
And if the valet service and advice on where to eat (in-house as well as in the neighbourhood) didn't make you feel welcome ... the effervescent Katie on the front desk as the Windsor's 'director of first impressions' can't help but make you feel welcome and valued as guests.
Thank you Team Windsor for a delightful 11th anniversary experience.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Nick M, Rooms Division Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Bruce A,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your Anniversary stay with us at The Hotel Windsor.

It really a credit to the service team here at the hotel and in particular Katie who I can assure you that I will receive your kind words and thanks.

I hope that we may be able to have the pleasure of your company for your 12th Anniversary and until then we do, as always remain at your service.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

When one books a landmark hotel, one understands that the room will be small. In the 1800’s they did not have large rooms like are standard in a 5 star hotel that was built today. My complaints are not based on the size of the room, but the quality and condition of it. We stayed in room 438, sold as a “traditional room”. The bed was of such poor quality (It was a Sealy, but was so thin and so used, that it offered no back support at all). The carpet between the bedroom and bathroom was lifted up in one corner…and filthy. We were always concerned when we used the bathroom during the night that one of us would trip over it. Not only was it an eyesore, it was a danger. The bathroom was tiny (once again, to be expected) however, it had a chipped vanity, a rusted sink drain and an air vent that was full of lint and mold. The filthy carpet as you exited the elevator made one think they were in a Hollywood house of ill repute, and the flooring was uneven. The walls are paper thin, so every noise in the hall and in adjacent rooms are heard. Although they have “free internet”, it is only available at the sole computer terminal in the “Business Center” that sits in the middle of the Lobby. Now, you may ask why I did not make a complaint to the Front Desk during my stay? That is simple, the staff was so arrogant (CiCi was almost non-approachable with a sour demeanor) that I knew I would get nowhere if I did. There was an error on the website I used for booking and I was misinformed about the hotel having self-service laundry facilities. When I asked CiCi about this, she turned up her nose and said that the Hotel Windsor was not an apartment hotel. Well, we stayed at some very luxurious TRUE 5 star hotels in Australia that DID have self-service laundries, so the question was not out of line. The only person who gave a warm greeting was the older gentleman who may have been the doorman. He wore a hat and was on duty January 4 & 5, but not when we left on the 6th. I wish I had caught his name because he had a pleasing greeting, not just for us, but for everyone. Someone in upper management should give him a pat on the back. Other than him, the staff was condescending and arrogant like no other.
In fairness, I will say that the in-room coffee service and the daily replenishment of the coffee was appreciated and we tipped accordingly.
Maybe there are people who would be happy here, but it definitely was not us. We would not recommend this hotel, nor do we agree that it is a 5 star...we are posting photos so you can decide for yourself.

Dear justmyopinion1957,

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne, but more importantly thank you for reviewing your stay with such a considered review.

There are a number of important items which is clear we need to address, in particular the quality and condition of your room 438. Since receiving your review I have spent time with our Executive Housekeeper investigating your points raised. In regards to your room's bedding I must apologise for the uncomfortable sleep. All of our 180 rooms and suites had brand new bedding installed just on twelve months ago so to hear this is of quite a concern to us.

In regards to the carpet condition in your room I was not able to find the damaged area which you noted so I will be following this up with our maintenance team as this may have already been reported by Housekeeping and repaired. The condition of your bathroom has also been addressed and I can confirm that the three whips in the bath are to be repaired in the coming days along with refurbishment of the basin.

The hotel has a complimentary internet computer located in the lobby for its guests. We do have wifi available throughout the hotel at a charge of $15.00 per day alternatively this may be included in your room rate dependent on how you booked.

I will also be addressing the service level at Reception as this is of concern to me but also just as importantly I will be thanking Russell our Doorman for his excellent service. He really is a credit to the hotel.

Both myself and David Perry our CEO will await your photos in the post so that we can address your concerns as thoroughly as possible.

Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to get in contact and we will be in contact again once your photos are received.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to The Hotel Windsor? Share your experiences!