“almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Kilsyth, AU
“almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Loved it.
Did feel a bit intimidated as it was a hot day and so we may have been a little underdressed... well still nice but felt like the staff looked down their noses at us.

was a little dissapointed that the advertised free wifi didnt appear to be working/accessible. I am sure i could have called up and tried to work it put but meh...

everything else was great.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Nick M, Rooms Division Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Dear Natasha S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

To hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room to be cleaned to a high standard is fantastic however I really must apologise if any of our team gave the impression that they were looking down at you due to being 'underdressed'. Absolutely not the case as we want all of our guests to be comfortable, especially in the heat of our summers.

I hope that we may have the pleasure of your company once more in 2014 and until then we do as always remain at your service.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Korean first
Mitcham, AU
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I've never been so disappointed- we expected something special at "The Windsor" but experienced the most inferior of standards possible.
From our initial introduction to the Hotel of a far-too-casual doorman (what happened to the formal attire?) who seemed either confused or intimidated by the booking being in my name,despite my clarifying my name & introducing my husband. We then had the same experience at reception.
A supposedly "Superior" grade room was a hot "shoebox" at the back of the Hotel without any windows.The air-conditioner laboured & was most inadequate.The bathroom only had a shower over the bath! When my husband explained that because of a medical condition that I cannot balance to get in or out of the shower we were told it would cost an extra $65 for a seperate shower. (I therefore could not have a shower whilst staying in,supposedly,5 star accomodation!) Despite the Hotel having low occupancy at the time.
I had been lead to believe that the Hotel had been up-graded & refurbished. I appreciate the craftsmanship of earlier eras & the preservation of our history:but a superior room shouldn't include antiquated showers & cooling.
Also,despite a continental breakfast being included in the tarriff, this was being served in the dining room & I did not feel well enough to attend,so my husband requested he bring me up a small plate of fruit but was told this wasn't possible & that I needed to order room service instead.
So I had no shower,no breakfast,no view & no fun at "The Windsor"!
We had stayed at "The Parkview Hotel" on St.Kilda Rd. Melbourne the fortnight prior & experienced luxury & attentive service comparable to our benchmark - "The Hyatt". A pleasant surprise condsidering it's low pricing.
I am ashamed that visitors to Melbourne experiencing this inferior standard as guests at "The Windsor" feel it to be represenative of our norm. When it simply isn't.
The one bright point in our stay was the 111 Spring St.restaurant meal. Excellent service,food & surrounds. We'd happily return & recommend it to our friends.

Dear Terri M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Hotel Windsor. It is important that we receive as much honest feedback as possible from our guests so that we can work on improving our service and offering.

I would like to apologise on behalf of the hotel firstly for your welcome upon arrival. All of our Concierge team are dressed in our signature purple colours however how you were greeted is of most concern by both Concierge and Reception.

During your stay the hotel has been close to full capacity with many guests choosing to stay with us for Christmas shopping in the city. Unfortunately at this time we did only have a small number of our Deluxe category rooms available. In saying this the shower condition in your room should have been looked at and if it couldn't be fixed another room of the same category could have been offered. There are clearly some training issues which I must look at closely as I believe we could have been able to resolve this during your stay.

May I ask that if you plan in the future to stay in the city please do contact me directly at the hotel so I can personally assist in making arrangements for a pleasant stay which will leave you with memories far more befitting The Hotel Windsor. I can assure you that your experience was not indicative to the norm at our hotel however consistency in all that we do and the service we deliver is important to us.

Once again my sincerest apologies and thank for your review.

Benalla, AU
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We had a lovely stay again and the Windsor feels very comfortable and secure, and it is conveniently located for country visitors like us visiting Melbourne. We love the artwork and the ambience and look forward to seeing what the floral arrangements will be in the foyer each time - they are generally magnificent.

Dear Janette K,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found both our hotel and service of a high standard. We weekly change our floral arrangements in the lobby and I hope that on this visit you enjoyed our three real Christmas trees.

Looking forward to the pleasure of your company in 2014.

Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We recently spent one night staying at the Hotel Windsor in Melbourne. Wonderful welcome from valet parking attendant, porter and check in clerk. Our superior room was enormous, oozing old world charm and character. The Cricketer's Bar was the perfect location for a re-union with old friends. As our room was at the back of the hotel it was incredibly quiet. Continental breakfast downstairs in the dining room was most pleasant. Great value for money which included a 12:00pm late check-out. Would most certainly stay again and have recommended to family and friends.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are very quiet.
Dear DeborahLBrisbane,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne and more importantly for taking the time to complete your review.

It is simply wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and to hear that our service team looked after you so well from your arrival to departure is simply fantastic. I will be sharing your kind words with them and I know they will be most appreciative.

Wishing you all the best for 2014 and I hope to have the pleasure of your company once more in the coming year.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Nice hotel with old world charm and class. Not too far from the Botanic gardens or Bourke St Mall. Deluxe room had lots of space and a walk in wardrobe. The breakfast/dining area looked lovely.
Air con not that good in the room if you are staying when it is hot. Beds were comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Aus_Traveler27,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the space of your Deluxe Room and the added addition of a walk in robe.

For any future stay we do have alternate rooms or suites which have individual air conditioner units which may make your stay more comfortable in the warmer months.

Once again thank you for your time and we hope to welcome you back when next visiting Melbourne Australia.

Sanibel, US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

The Windsor has charm, comfort, and elegance. It falls short of excellence for reasons that they could easily fix. First, our stay on Saturday night was marred by a band playing loudly in the ballroom directly below our room. They knew this would happen, but we were not warned or given a chance to switch to a quieter room. Second, for a hotel of this caliber to charge for internet access is just petty. Friends of ours were staying at a much less expensive place and had free Wi-fi. Third, when we checked out, the hotel added on an unexpected 1.5% service charge for paying with a credit card. Again, petty, annoying, and fixable.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Nick M, Rooms Division Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear James B,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne.

To hear that you enjoyed your stat with us is simply wonderful and I must thank you in particular for your thoughts regarding a number of charges/policies which we have in place. We are constantly reviewing our pricing in all areas, in particular internet and I can assure you feedback from our guests is being taken into consideration as we look forward into 2014.

Once again thank you wishing you all the best for 2014.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

From when I pulled up at the door and my car was taken away to valet parking, I just loved it. The building just makes you think of times gone by, with the gorgeous staircases, wide passage ways and I just love all the seating in the alcoves and on the landings. Breakfast was so special in the divine dinnng room . Everything makes you feel so welcome and like a very valued guest.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our service team was able to make you feel so welcome.

Hoping that we may have the pleasure of your company in 2014.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to The Hotel Windsor? Share your experiences!