“Grand old building, good service” 4 of 5 stars

The Hotel Windsor
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Spring Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #26 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Paris, France
“Grand old building, good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Windsor is well positioned, located within walking distance to many theatres, opposite Parliament, and Tram stop out front. (including the free hop on hop off red tourist loop tram). There are beautiful parks nearby, so going for a stroll is lovely. Take a walk through Fitzroy gardens, try the coffee at the café and sit on the lawn. Back at The Windsor Hotel, the building and rooms have character, the only complaint is that we didn't have opening windows, a shame, because Melbourne has lovely breezes and clean air. There is free WiFi, and the room service was good. Tried the high tea, which although nice, didn't actually serve the items listed on the menu. In Room breakfast menu was limited, there are lots of nearby cafe's to choose from if you prefer something like spinach and poached eggs (as I do). Parking is expensive ($45/day) but secure. There is a Pillow menu to choose whichever you prefer, but I'm afraid we still didn't sleep so well, not sure why - maybe too hot, as we couldn't control air conditioning. Would I stay there again? definitely yes, not only is the building special, the staff were lovely.

Room Tip: Ask about opening windows. The fixed windows and limited air conditioning control can be annoying if...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidGAPerry, Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Ms W…Teresa,

Thank you for your comments.

Next time you stay please mention your preference for fresh air as the vast majority of rooms and suites have windows that open – we simply need to un lock them.

To be honest I am at a loss as to why our afternoon tea menu was not accurate unless a dietary request had been made. Then again it was good to see that your enjoyed Free wi fi – a service that is not always included but can be found when booking on the link at the top of this page.

Glad to hear that we may look forward to the pleasure of your company when next you take off from Paris heading for Melbourne.

Until then, I remain,

Chief Executive Officer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I was thrilled to be able to stay at such an elegant and fine older establishment for a night in Melbourne - modern hotels will never have the sense of place, and warmth of a hotel like this. I found the service immaculate, the dining very nice and the room lovely, comfortable and roomy, if in need of a bit of brightening. Everyone should stay in a hotel of this era for the experience I think!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
DavidGAPerry, Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Ms Leonie…Jann,

What can I say?

Thank you.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Spent a night at this Melbourne icon in August. She is certainly a very grand hotel, steeped in history, which the hotel rightly uses to its advantage.
Price-wise, I picked up a super-last minute deal for a great price on wotif.com.au.
The grandeur of the building is on display as soon as you walk in and is quite magnificent. A walk up the very regal internal staircase from the foyer is a must.
The rooms are where this hotel lets itself down somewhat. The bed was as comfortable as any five star hotel I have stayed at, but the rooms decor and bathroom just really aren't up to scratch at present. The hotel is teasing that renovations are forthcoming though, so hopefully once the old girl has had a makeover, she will be back to her best.
Location-wise there is no better position in Melbourne I don’t think that at the top of Bourke St!
We did not dine in the hotel, but we did enjoy a beer in the Cricketers bar. I'm not a huge cricket fan, but it is still a pleasant spot to enjoy a cold one.
Staff were very friendly and professional throughout our stay.
While the Windsor does need some work, it is definitely still worth a night or twos stay while you are in Melbourne.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes the restoration is due to commence in November next year and our bathrooms are not the most upto date.

The fact that you both believe that the hotel ‘is definitely still worth a night or two’ is appreciated. (And the best prices for readers information are always found when you book sometime in advance).

With kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I came to Melbourne for work and had always wanted to try out the Windsor - I was not disappointed. The location sets the scene with the carillon chimes and tram bells at the Paris end of Collins". It is right opposite Parliament House and next to the Princess Theatre. Check in was a breeze and the front of house staff were always warm and welcoming.
A request for fresh milk for my tea was immediately accommodated with no fuss.
The decor is not modern and flash, but that's not what I was looking for - it was gorgeous and old world.
I had the in room dining for dinner and breakfast and the breakfast was one of the best I have ever had - simple eggs and bacon but so wonderfully done.
I would highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for something a little different with truly excellent service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ms Bennet….Eliza,

“Gorgeous” review. Thank you so much.

Eggs and bacon can be so mediocre or so good depending on how much effort you put in to source the best free range eggs and the best cold smoked, thick cut, back bacon. (I must admit that it’s 6 am as I write this and I am starting to feel hungry).

Glad to see the details being appreciated by our guests. Thank you again.

Until next time, I remain,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Always wanted to stay here and finally did!! Very old world and feels like being at Grandma's House. Comfortable and reminiscent of another time and way of living.loved the central location.Of course all the usual great Melbourne cafes and restaurants. Melbourne food is solo good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
DavidGAPerry, Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your kind words.

I hope that we do not have to wait too long to enjoy the pleasure of your company once more.

Yours faithfully,

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I came here as a last minute booking as I got tickets to the footy grand final so I paid top price. I was disappointed that I didn't get free wi if as I booked through wotif! What a piece of crock!

Anyway, I slept on the rollaway bed as we had 3 to a room. My bed was pretty uncomfortable, sunk in the middle and hard to roll over. I couldn't fault the bathroom facilities. And there was a walk in robe which was great!

I did try out the high tea for $79 on the Sunday at 3:30pm. I got 2 glasses of champagne. I'm glad I skipped lunch as I stuffed myself silly! Very enjoyable and I would recommend everyone does it especially if you've never experienced a high tea like me before. It was set old style which I liked, pity the guests were always texting and their phones ringing...

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comments and I am so sorry that your did not have a comfortable sleep.

I shall ask our Rooms Division Manager, Nick McLennan to contact you via Trip Advisor in the hope of learning the room/ suite number you occupied so that we can check that bed - as all mattresses were replaced last year.

Glad to hear that our famous Afternoon Teas were experienced and enjoyed bu all on the big Football Finals weekend - Fremantle will win next time!

With best wishes,

Yours faithfully,

Midwaypoint Tasmanina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My Wife and I came to the Windsor for her Birthday on 23september .I booked a Deluxe Room with sparkling wine ,and also made Reservations for Dinner at 111.We ftew from Hobart just for a very special night.We checked in at 1-45 pm by a very polite and courteous Gentleman .We went to our room 232 .It was lovely and big and very clean and comfortable.We had a cup of tea and then we went shopping.I spoke to a woman at the check in and told her the wine was not in the room,she told me very abruptly that we will get it this afternoon.We came back from shopping at 5-30 and dressed for dinner and still no wine.Went to dinner at111 what a lovely time we had ,food was wonderfull and service was outstanding .My wife was so happy and enjoyed herself so much.went back to our room for a birthday drink but still no wine.I went down to reception and spoke to the same woman and all she said was it was room services fault .No sorry or anything like that.You would think that she would have checked to make sure it was sent to our room when I first mentioned it at 2-45pm.It arrived at 9-15pm it arrived in a ice bucket with water not ice and wine not chilled.Spoilt a special night

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidGAPerry, Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Mr & Mrs Page,

So sorry to hear that service was ‘abrupt’ and that the bottle of wine proved such a challenge and disappointment.

We shall urgently address these issues.

Meanwhile a bottle of French Champagne is being shipped to your Tasmanian home in the hope of leaving a more positive ‘most recent ‘ Windsor memory with you both.

Hoping to redeem ourselves further on a subsequent visit.

With thanks.