“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
West Wyalong, Australia
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We have stayed at The Hotel Windsor twice now on a short visit to Melbourne. While it is showing some signs of age in the foyer area, the friendly efficient staff and the general ambience of the hotel more than make up for that. Our room on each occasion has been large, and very well equipped. The king size bed is the most comfortable I've slept on, aside from home. A continental breakfast was included in our tariff, and it is here I have my only criticism. The choice of cereals this visit was limited to the more common Commercial cereals. I was looking for a Swiss natural muesli, or a Bircher muesli, but the only muesli was toasted, which is too high in fat and it didn't look very appetising. Nevertheless, we'd be happy to go back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidGAPerry, Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your kind words. We are delighted that you will be both be coming back when I think you may well find an excellent Bircher Muesli on the choice of cereals!

We are looking forward to seeing you again,

With kindest regards,

Yours faithfully,

Chief Executive Officer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

what a truelylt gracious and charming property if you visit melbourne this is the one we had a suite in thw priper sense if the term twi bedrioms dining riiom rwception rooms and waing room dm massive high ceilings lively lovely staff who were all mature and down to earth fabulous pris =wow cannotit say enoughh except it is the beat hotel in mekbourne by a lonfg shot did nit want ti leave

Room Tip: room 107 is a large suite suuitable for 4 people and the room service is amazing we ate at the antiq...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Madam…. Susan,

Suite 107 is the Prince Albert suite and is one of our eight largest suites named after Queen Victoria’s husband The Prince Consort. The Prince was said to be a great innovator and reformer and we try to keep that spirit of innovation alive here in Australia’s grand hotel of the Victorian age.

To hear that the hotel proved such a hit with you and your family is wonderful news for the team here and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With thanks and kindest regards,

Yours sincerely,

hobart tasmania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We recently had the pleasure of spending two nights at this iconic hotel. We were warmly welcomed by the concierge and the reception team. We were offered a reasonably priced upgrade to a bigger room overlooking fitzroy and treasury gardens. Room was very comfortable, had everything we needed. I ordered a new pillow from the extensive menu, it arrived within 5 mins. The bathroom was tired, but we knew that before booking this hotel. I had always admired and wanted to stay here. We knew that a renovation had been planned so took the opportunity offered at a great price. We enjoyed a lovely meal in 111 Spring. We were well attended without intrusion, extensive menu, nice wines, priced for the ambiance and level of service.
This was a great experience to stay in a historic,iconic,Melbourne landmark... We will return

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidGAPerry, Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Madam

Thank you so much for your kind words.

We try and ensure that everyone knows that our bathrooms are not the most modern, in fact they are a little dated, yet we endeavour to make up with that with the addition of quality shampoos, soaps etc along with the fluffiest of towels.

Until next time we have the pleasure of your company,

Yours faithfully

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is an elegant old-world hotel in a great location in the Melbourne CBD. Its 'high point' is the high tea on a Sunday afternoon.

The room I had was small and dark. the bathroom fixtures were old and there was no safe to lock valuables (though they offered this at reception - but that's a hassle). the gym is a bit of a joke

will be back for the high tea, but not to stay

Room Tip: Book in for the high tea with friends
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr G…Tom,

We appreciate your feedback and regret that your room was not appealing. We have 7 room and suite types and most traditional rooms are inward facing.

The gym meanwhile is hardly a reason to stay here yet we are hoping to expand it slightly in the weeks ahead. I do hope that this did not spoil your visit too much.

Most regular guests take the option of a run in Treasury Gardens opposite but we cannot deny that our gym is hardly a highlight. Afternoon tea however usually receives universal approval and we are delighted that the same can be said from your kind words.

Hoping to welcome you back to a Spring Street facing room (Superior or Deluxe) or Windsor / Victoria suite in future.

Yours sincerely

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was booked into this hotel for four nights, by my friends for my birthday. Not only was I called on several occasions at my hotel to ask when I was checking out, the reception staff seemed to have no idea of the booking system they were using and charged me for the nights I had stayed there, even though my friends had already paid online two months before! They wouldn't accept the credit card from my friend, and were not helpful in resolving the issue in anyway. I ended up leaving and having to pay, but my friends will be following up and this is not the last they have heard from me. A couple checking out next to me were told to pay for a breakfast they hasn't even ordered to their room, also! So this is a common occurrence. The room was nice but the service is so bad I would never come back. I left feeling as though this was the worst birthday I had ever had!!

• Stayed July 2013
Nick M, Rooms Division Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Madam….Heidi,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us but more importantly for bringing to my attention a number of items which appear to have been those which one would imagine could have been easily avoided and for which I am truly sorry.

In most cases our CEO, David, would write his response however I felt under these circumstances as the person responsible for service at Reception that it was best that I contact you .

So that I am able to follow up further with my team to ascertain exactly what happened to cause so much confusion and ultimately frustration on your part may I ask that you contact me directly at the hotel in the hope of finding out the exact circumstances so that I may respond personally and appropriately to you.

With that aim in mind I actually took steps yesterday in the hope that I could contact you through TripAdvisor

Once again I would like to offer my sincerest apologies and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

With kindest regards,

Nick
Nick McLennan
Rooms Division Manager
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed at The Hotel Windsor 26th July 2013 for 2 nights and enjoyed our stay. The hotel is well located to Bourke St with a historic feel about the hotel. Very comfortable king bed with suitable décor aimed at the era the hotel was built. Staff were all very helpful and polite.

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidGAPerry, Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Mr R….Mark,

We really appreciate your generous endorsement.

Thank you. The pleasure was ours.

Yours sincerely,

Sydney, Nsw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were terrific despite all the pressure of managing hoards of visitors for the Open Melbourne visits. Room was clean and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast was also excellent.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind words and we are all delighted that you both enjoyed your stay with us at The Windsor so much.

Until next time our kindest regards and best wishes,

Yours faithfully,

Chief Executive Officer

Been to The Hotel Windsor? Share your experiences!