“Iconic Melbourne landmark” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
hobart tasmania
“Iconic Melbourne landmark”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We recently had the pleasure of spending two nights at this iconic hotel. We were warmly welcomed by the concierge and the reception team. We were offered a reasonably priced upgrade to a bigger room overlooking fitzroy and treasury gardens. Room was very comfortable, had everything we needed. I ordered a new pillow from the extensive menu, it arrived within 5 mins. The bathroom was tired, but we knew that before booking this hotel. I had always admired and wanted to stay here. We knew that a renovation had been planned so took the opportunity offered at a great price. We enjoyed a lovely meal in 111 Spring. We were well attended without intrusion, extensive menu, nice wines, priced for the ambiance and level of service.
This was a great experience to stay in a historic,iconic,Melbourne landmark... We will return

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidGAPerry, Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Madam

Thank you so much for your kind words.

We try and ensure that everyone knows that our bathrooms are not the most modern, in fact they are a little dated, yet we endeavour to make up with that with the addition of quality shampoos, soaps etc along with the fluffiest of towels.

Until next time we have the pleasure of your company,

Yours faithfully

Chief Executive Officer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Korean first
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is an elegant old-world hotel in a great location in the Melbourne CBD. Its 'high point' is the high tea on a Sunday afternoon.

The room I had was small and dark. the bathroom fixtures were old and there was no safe to lock valuables (though they offered this at reception - but that's a hassle). the gym is a bit of a joke

will be back for the high tea, but not to stay

Room Tip: Book in for the high tea with friends
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr G…Tom,

We appreciate your feedback and regret that your room was not appealing. We have 7 room and suite types and most traditional rooms are inward facing.

The gym meanwhile is hardly a reason to stay here yet we are hoping to expand it slightly in the weeks ahead. I do hope that this did not spoil your visit too much.

Most regular guests take the option of a run in Treasury Gardens opposite but we cannot deny that our gym is hardly a highlight. Afternoon tea however usually receives universal approval and we are delighted that the same can be said from your kind words.

Hoping to welcome you back to a Spring Street facing room (Superior or Deluxe) or Windsor / Victoria suite in future.

Yours sincerely

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I was booked into this hotel for four nights, by my friends for my birthday. Not only was I called on several occasions at my hotel to ask when I was checking out, the reception staff seemed to have no idea of the booking system they were using and charged me for the nights I had stayed there, even though my friends had already paid online two months before! They wouldn't accept the credit card from my friend, and were not helpful in resolving the issue in anyway. I ended up leaving and having to pay, but my friends will be following up and this is not the last they have heard from me. A couple checking out next to me were told to pay for a breakfast they hasn't even ordered to their room, also! So this is a common occurrence. The room was nice but the service is so bad I would never come back. I left feeling as though this was the worst birthday I had ever had!!

• Stayed July 2013
Nick M, Rooms Division Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Madam….Heidi,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us but more importantly for bringing to my attention a number of items which appear to have been those which one would imagine could have been easily avoided and for which I am truly sorry.

In most cases our CEO, David, would write his response however I felt under these circumstances as the person responsible for service at Reception that it was best that I contact you .

So that I am able to follow up further with my team to ascertain exactly what happened to cause so much confusion and ultimately frustration on your part may I ask that you contact me directly at the hotel in the hope of finding out the exact circumstances so that I may respond personally and appropriately to you.

With that aim in mind I actually took steps yesterday in the hope that I could contact you through TripAdvisor

Once again I would like to offer my sincerest apologies and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

With kindest regards,

Nick
Nick McLennan
Rooms Division Manager
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed at The Hotel Windsor 26th July 2013 for 2 nights and enjoyed our stay. The hotel is well located to Bourke St with a historic feel about the hotel. Very comfortable king bed with suitable décor aimed at the era the hotel was built. Staff were all very helpful and polite.

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidGAPerry, Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Mr R….Mark,

We really appreciate your generous endorsement.

Thank you. The pleasure was ours.

Yours sincerely,

Sydney, Nsw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were terrific despite all the pressure of managing hoards of visitors for the Open Melbourne visits. Room was clean and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast was also excellent.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind words and we are all delighted that you both enjoyed your stay with us at The Windsor so much.

Until next time our kindest regards and best wishes,

Yours faithfully,

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

A couple of girlfriends and I went into town to celebrate a special occasion. We originally booked for two people through Wotif. On registering we informed the desk that there was now an extra person and was given the choice of two upgrades. We chose the Windsor Suite for an additional cost.
The suite was very nice but its worth noting a few things: valet parking is advertised as $40. When we checked out we were charged $45. When questioned we were simply told that the cost had increased. The public car park is two minutes away and would normally charge $20. My advice:park your own car.
The fridge didn't work. We had to get three buckets of ice delivered over the course of the evening to simply get a cold drink.
The heating (& I presume cooling) was really noisy. In such a large area it was essential to keep the heating on but the noise of the fan which is located outside the bedroom door was very loud.
The extra person charge did not include breakfast. When we went down for said breakfast we were told that we would have to pay for the third person. The Continental breakfast was $28. There was no bread left when we arrived at 9:30 and very little else to choose from. I chose ( mistakenly in hindsight) to have the wndsor breakfast for $18. I received two eggs, one piece of toast, three very small mushrooms and a dodgy tomato. I believe there was a slice of what was supposed to be bacon on the plate too but it tasted so awful I didn't bother trying to identify it. I had a flat white coffee for which I was charged $5. Extraordinary.
Because of the exceptional company I had the good fortune to be sharing that evening it was not a total loss but I wouldn't choose to stay there again. No wonder the new owners want to drop the place and rebuild.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
DavidGAPerry, Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Madam,

Humming sounds in suites is not acceptable. Honestly, if we had been made aware we would have dealt with the maintenance issue immediately. I am so sorry that you were exposed to this breakdown of sorts. And I should point out to readers that the ‘fridges’ are in fact chilled mini bars and are not designed to quickly chill drinks and foods in the same way a domestic fridge would.

We do not own a car park and city parking is not as affordable as we would all hope. Honestly your advice to other guests regarding parking themselves would save them money on Saturdays and Sundays only, and then only if the car was not used for 24 hours. Between Monday and Friday meanwhile the casual public cost of parking at the secure public car park we utilise sees a $19 charge per hour for the first 3 hours and then $9 per hour for each hour after with a maximum of 5 hours being charged at any one time. (A $75 fee which is not uncommon by any means nowadays in Melbourne.) However these charges increase within 24 hours again if the car is removed at any time. (Our valet parking charge allows multiple access to your vehicle over a 24 hour period simply by dropping it off in the first instance at the Front door and could save you a significant amount of money considering our advertised $45 fee). Some packages offered by the hotel actually include valet car parking.

If you have made a booking some time ago when a price of $40 was advertised we should have marked your reservation accordingly. We shall contact you privately in the hope of ascertaining your details and would hope that you will accept a full car park refund if human error on our part has meant that you paid a cent more than advertised.

I am sorry too that breakfast was not as memorable for all the right reasons but after spending so much time sourcing the thick cut cold smoked bacon that another reader mentioned resembled a gammon steak I can only regret that this was not to your personal liking. I must therefore assume that an exception was present with yours and in good faith would insist on facilitating a refund also.

And for the benefit of readers the main heritage hotel meanwhile is to be restored starting at the end of 2014 not ‘dropped’

Yours faithfully,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is my second visit to the Hotel Windsor and the stay was just as fantastic as the first time around. The service here is awesome, from the time I walked in to the time I left it was all about the experience and all the staff were very friendly and welcoming. I stayed in an upgraded room this time and it had high ceilings, lots of space while keeping to its heritage charm. Thank you to the staff for another fantastic stay and I look forward to going back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
DavidGAPerry, Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Madam,

Fantastic indeed.

We can only look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With thanks and kindest regards,

Chief Executive Officer

Been to The Hotel Windsor? Share your experiences!