“Still a Grand old Lady” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 169 Hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“Still a Grand old Lady”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

After reading a novel, where the socialite heroine detective based herself at the Windsor, I had an urge to stay there myself. I love old school charm and service, and a touch of history. I arranged for my daughter, friend and myself to spend a weekend in this grand, historic hotel. We loved the chandeliers, big rooms and the overall ambience. The service was great despite a glitch with our booking. The hotel is also in easy walking distance of some great shopping!
Afternoon tea on Sunday was amazing, I have never seen so many deliciously tempting desserts. Here is a tip, forget the scones and go straight to the dessert buffet!
We also enjoyed a few drinks in the Cricketers' Bar on Saturday afternoon. Good selection of wines and excellent atmosphere. A must for a visit to Melbourne.
Whilst she is showing her age somewhat, you will have a memorable stay in this great hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear Julia2011_1,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne and for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It is absolutely wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience it's history for yourself. On a side note the detective book you read has been turned into a mini series for ABC which has been screening recently. Much of the first episode was filmed at The Hotel Windsor and is worth a look if you can.

Please be assured that I will forward your comments onto our Restaurant Manager in regards to your lovely afternoon High Tea experience and to our Cricketer's Bar Manager.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

As always, we remain at your service.

Like us on Facebook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and enjoyed our stay. It might not be as perfect as 5 star should be but really, it is a historic building so i'm not sure what the people who whinge about this hotel are expecting! We had a lovely time and would stay again!

Room Tip: We stayed in a standard room. It was as others have said, looking out onto a brick wall, if you can...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear caroline w,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne, if was of course our pleasure.

We first opened as a hotel in 1883 and it is wonderful to see that you were able to appreciate our building's wonderful architecture. You are correct that our Traditional Rooms face into the center of the building however our Superior King Rooms do not and if planning a longer stay a Spring Street view can be arranged with our Reservations team.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Windsor in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

When hubby booked a deal that included an overnight stay in a Superior room plus breakfast, I really wasn't expecting much as I know the Windsor is about to go through a refurb. But I was pleasantly surprised. The room we had was actually charming, reminded me of some of the places we stayed in France. In fact the room looked better than the one on the website which rarely happens. Certainly things were slightly dated and aged but well looked after and polished. One thing you have to expect staying at the Windsor is noise. Not so much outside noise, but noise inside the building such as the elevators being used, and people walking passed your room. With such an old building with little insulation, this is to be expected. Breakfast was lovely as well. A good location. I just loved the foyer with the chandeliers and the beautiful tulips on display. Everyone was very friendly and made a fuss of our little 3 year old. He had a ball as well.

Room Tip: We were on level 4, I believe the room was 448.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear ladyoflux,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

To hear that you found our Superior King room charming is wonderful and is a credit to our Housekeeping and Maintenance teams at the hotel.

I hope you were able to take advantage of our location and enjoyed your breakfast in our 111 Spring Street Restaurant.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Hotel Windsor when next in Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Recently spend a night at the Hotel Windsor. Requested a room with a spa and had to pay for a suite to get it.

The suite (The Sir Winston Churchill Suite) was incredibly spacious but really tired. There was a spa (below the shower) and it may have fit two people if they were very small and thin. We're not oversized but what we would regard ourselves as average size and we had no hope of getting both of us in at the same time. The hot water tap in the shower came off in my hand and i couldn't get the TV in the drawing room to work. The TV in the bedroom was fine. The bed was comfortable - nothing fantastic - unlike beds on other hotels we've stayed.

The staff were great - polite, friendly and efficient - and the breakfast served in the room was hot and above average.

The hotel is well located at the top end of town but for the money I would rather have stayed at the Park Hyatt across the road.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GregLisaM,

thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne and were reviewing your recent stay with us.

It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our service to be polite, friendly and efficient.

Thank you for including your suite's name in your review as both myself and Executive Housekeeper will investigate today and follow up the issues you had during your stay.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Windsor when next in Melbourne.

Guilford, Surrey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I first stayed here on my honeymoon well over 20 years ago. I have been back countless times since and was a regular afternoon tea visitor before then. The hotel is in a class of it's own. If you want to experience where the politicians, graziers and movers and shakers of a bygone era stayed then come here. The common areas are very olde worlde, complete with antique furniture, and so are some of the bedrooms but all have that modern, luxury touch. The staff here are world class. The only down note is the early closing time of the bars. I also wish we still had the old dining room. It was fabulous but I think it is for conferences only now. It is stunning! The convenient location and delicious food (high teas to die for) complete the experience. The only place I would ever consider staying at in Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Mary P,

Firstly I would like to say welcome back to The Hotel Windsor, it is wonderful to hear that you were able to rejoin us after 20 years.

Our hotel has seen many characters over the years and I must agree with you that you really can feel that when walking through this wonderful, historic building. Our Grand Ballroom for sometime was our main dinning room however it is now booked for not only conferences but has quite a reputation for weddings which as you can imagine is perfect with Treasury Gardens opposite.

Once again thank you so much for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

As always, at your service.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I have always loved the Windsor. I have stayed in many different hotels in Melbourne but I always try to stay at the Windsor if I can get a good online rate. The location, the old world charm & the friendly staff make this hotel one of my favourites & for me, it is quintessentially Melbourne.

My latest visit didn't disappoint. I stayed for a week at the end of June & got a very good nightly rate. I arrived about 1030 am & they found a room for me straight away. I didn't try the restaurant so can't comment however so many great restaurants around the area.

The things I think could be improved are 1. paying for wifi. I normally would not stay at a place that charges for wifi but I got such a good deal on my nightly rate that I put up with this, 2 No lobby bar. I arrived on a Sunday & the Cricketers Bar doesn't open on a Sunday. I would have though being able to get served a drink in the lobby area would be a suitable alternative of guests on a Sunday. Small points but thought I would add them.

Yes the building is old, the lifts can be slow & the carpet a bit worn but people who complain of such things when visiting such a grand old classic like this remind me of a friend who once said they didn't like Rome because everything was so old.

If you like modern high rises with lots of glass, straight lines & cold impersonal service then don't stay here but if you like warmth, a sense of being part of something special & good old fashioned service then I recommend you give the Windsor a try

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Chairman4000,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne.

It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of an early check in. When possible our Reception team makes rooms available to guests arriving early.

I would like to thank you for your comments in regards to wifi pricing and the lobby bar. We are at all times looking at our offerings and it is only with feedback from our guests that we can truly understand exactly what is needed.

Once again thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to The hotel Windsor when next in Melbourne.

canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I can't add much to what has been said about this hotel. The novelty is that it is 'grand' in the Victorian style, and although a bit tired it is quite charming. However I was completely disconcerted when on checking in to a pre-paid room for one night, the receptionist insisted on taking not only a credit card imprint but a photocopy of my driver's licence. I am well past being in a high risk demographic and I had already paid for my room. I am not sure what huge risk the hotel thought it was encountering by deigning to let me in, but this felt like checking in to a prison not a five star hotel. It was not welcoming and despite the good location I won't be going back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Ins224,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor whilst in Melbourne.

Unfortunately many online booking websites require photo identification to be copied upon check in. The reason for this is to ensure not only the correct guest is staying but also to limit any possibility of credit card fraud. This is one policy we must follow when working with our booking partners however I hope that this request upon arrival did not tarnish your stay with us completely.

Once again thank you for your review and as always we remain at your service.

Like us on Facebook

Been to The Hotel Windsor? Share your experiences!