“Old world charm?? New world prices.” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Direct For Free WiFi
Ranked #22 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Old world charm?? New world prices.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Recently spend a night at the Hotel Windsor. Requested a room with a spa and had to pay for a suite to get it.

The suite (The Sir Winston Churchill Suite) was incredibly spacious but really tired. There was a spa (below the shower) and it may have fit two people if they were very small and thin. We're not oversized but what we would regard ourselves as average size and we had no hope of getting both of us in at the same time. The hot water tap in the shower came off in my hand and i couldn't get the TV in the drawing room to work. The TV in the bedroom was fine. The bed was comfortable - nothing fantastic - unlike beds on other hotels we've stayed.

The staff were great - polite, friendly and efficient - and the breakfast served in the room was hot and above average.

The hotel is well located at the top end of town but for the money I would rather have stayed at the Park Hyatt across the road.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear GregLisaM,

thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne and were reviewing your recent stay with us.

It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our service to be polite, friendly and efficient.

Thank you for including your suite's name in your review as both myself and Executive Housekeeper will investigate today and follow up the issues you had during your stay.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Windsor when next in Melbourne.

Like us on Facebook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Korean first
Guilford, Surrey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I first stayed here on my honeymoon well over 20 years ago. I have been back countless times since and was a regular afternoon tea visitor before then. The hotel is in a class of it's own. If you want to experience where the politicians, graziers and movers and shakers of a bygone era stayed then come here. The common areas are very olde worlde, complete with antique furniture, and so are some of the bedrooms but all have that modern, luxury touch. The staff here are world class. The only down note is the early closing time of the bars. I also wish we still had the old dining room. It was fabulous but I think it is for conferences only now. It is stunning! The convenient location and delicious food (high teas to die for) complete the experience. The only place I would ever consider staying at in Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Mary P,

Firstly I would like to say welcome back to The Hotel Windsor, it is wonderful to hear that you were able to rejoin us after 20 years.

Our hotel has seen many characters over the years and I must agree with you that you really can feel that when walking through this wonderful, historic building. Our Grand Ballroom for sometime was our main dinning room however it is now booked for not only conferences but has quite a reputation for weddings which as you can imagine is perfect with Treasury Gardens opposite.

Once again thank you so much for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

As always, at your service.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I have always loved the Windsor. I have stayed in many different hotels in Melbourne but I always try to stay at the Windsor if I can get a good online rate. The location, the old world charm & the friendly staff make this hotel one of my favourites & for me, it is quintessentially Melbourne.

My latest visit didn't disappoint. I stayed for a week at the end of June & got a very good nightly rate. I arrived about 1030 am & they found a room for me straight away. I didn't try the restaurant so can't comment however so many great restaurants around the area.

The things I think could be improved are 1. paying for wifi. I normally would not stay at a place that charges for wifi but I got such a good deal on my nightly rate that I put up with this, 2 No lobby bar. I arrived on a Sunday & the Cricketers Bar doesn't open on a Sunday. I would have though being able to get served a drink in the lobby area would be a suitable alternative of guests on a Sunday. Small points but thought I would add them.

Yes the building is old, the lifts can be slow & the carpet a bit worn but people who complain of such things when visiting such a grand old classic like this remind me of a friend who once said they didn't like Rome because everything was so old.

If you like modern high rises with lots of glass, straight lines & cold impersonal service then don't stay here but if you like warmth, a sense of being part of something special & good old fashioned service then I recommend you give the Windsor a try

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Chairman4000,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne.

It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of an early check in. When possible our Reception team makes rooms available to guests arriving early.

I would like to thank you for your comments in regards to wifi pricing and the lobby bar. We are at all times looking at our offerings and it is only with feedback from our guests that we can truly understand exactly what is needed.

Once again thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to The hotel Windsor when next in Melbourne.

canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I can't add much to what has been said about this hotel. The novelty is that it is 'grand' in the Victorian style, and although a bit tired it is quite charming. However I was completely disconcerted when on checking in to a pre-paid room for one night, the receptionist insisted on taking not only a credit card imprint but a photocopy of my driver's licence. I am well past being in a high risk demographic and I had already paid for my room. I am not sure what huge risk the hotel thought it was encountering by deigning to let me in, but this felt like checking in to a prison not a five star hotel. It was not welcoming and despite the good location I won't be going back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Ins224,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor whilst in Melbourne.

Unfortunately many online booking websites require photo identification to be copied upon check in. The reason for this is to ensure not only the correct guest is staying but also to limit any possibility of credit card fraud. This is one policy we must follow when working with our booking partners however I hope that this request upon arrival did not tarnish your stay with us completely.

Once again thank you for your review and as always we remain at your service.

Albury, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed at the Windsor Hotel for 2 nights recently in a Deluxe Room. It was our 1st visit and proved to be a pretty special experience from the moment the doorman took our luggage and parked the car for us.

It’s a wonderful old building with period features and attentive and generally efficient service. For people like us who only occassionally travel 1st class, we found the concierge and other staff friendly and not at all intimidating.

Our room was sufficiently spacious with all the traditional comforts. However, the tv reception for SBS was so bad it was basically unwatchable. This would not normally be an issue for us but since the Tour De France was on we like to watch a bit of that at night. We mentioned this at the front desk and someone came up quite quickly but basically just confirmed that the picture was pretty bad. I mentioned it on checking out and was told that the SBS signal had been bad for a few weeks. So why hadn’t it been sorted?

Breakfast was included in our package and was very good - a large range of choices. We also had dinner at the Cricketers Bar one night and enjoyed the food, the service and the ambience.

No free wi-fi which seemed a little miserly for a hotel of this standard.

Summing up - a grand ‘old school’ hotel, with those old school qualities of service and splendour but perhaps needing a bit of a tweak in the newer ‘techie’ areas. Definitely recommended - especially if you get a good deal like we did through Wotif.

Room Tip: Deluxe room is good value when booked on 'special' through 'Wotif.com'.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed for two nights and the service was excellent from the minute we stepped out of the taxi. Everyone in the concierge department was incredibly friendly - Rob was particularly helpful for dinner suggestions and was happy to chat to us about the hotel's history and what's coming up in the future. All the bar staff were great too.

Lovely old building. So spacious and the rooms were pretty good - very impressed with the minibar selection.
Hot breakfast was a bit slow on the first morning but much better the next day.
We'll definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have plenty of space if you like to spread out.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sarah M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to appreciate our wonderful historic building. Built in 1883 we are the last remaining of Melbourne's Grand Hotels from Melbourne's golden era.

We hope that we can welcome you back to The hotel Windsor when next visiting in Melbourne and if so it will be of course our pleasure.

As always since 1883 we remain at your service.

Hamilton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The first room we had was on the 1st floor and the wooden floor above us was really noisy with someone walking around until about 1.30am, 2 nights without sleep and then asked if we could be moved. This was no problem we were moved to the top floor (4th) this was much better. The rooms are lovely, decorated with lovely furniture and drapes that complement this historic old hotel. The bed was king size and very comfortable. The valet parking was fantastic, just pull up the front, its so easy. The staff were all very polite and helpful. The cooked breakfast was cold which was a disappointment, the rest of the food was nice. The position of this hotel is fantastic, close to the Princess Theatre, the city circle tram, Little Bourke St. (China Town) and kino cinema.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor, Spring st has a nice view, but has more traffic noise.
Dear jesshamilton,

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne, but more importantly for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel and staff warm, yet professional. However I would like to apologise for your breakfast experience and I have today spoken with our Executive Chef and Director of food & Beverage who will be addressing this with their team.

Once again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Windsor when you're next in Melbourne.

Like us on Facebook

Been to The Hotel Windsor? Share your experiences!