“A unique experience but still some probs!” 4 of 5 stars

The Hotel Windsor
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Spring Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #26 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“A unique experience but still some probs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This hotel really provokes very mixed feelings. It's 5 star on many levels, but it still hasn't quite got there and I've stayed there a few times over the years. It's always a pleasant place to stay because of its history, it's location (which is ideal) and its elegance. Yet it's the attention to detail which always lets down a 5 star hotel, and it is also an added attention to detail that distinguishes it from other 5 star properties. This is where the Windsor lets itself down. This review refers primarily to the room I stayed in - 205. Meant to be a superior room, it had no outlook of any kind - I figure if a room is superior it should at least have an outlook. I won't linger on this, however, as maybe I got a lower end superior room as I got a ridiculously low Wotif special that included breakfast, an upgrade (to the so-called superior room) and a late checkout. The small things that one doesn't expect in a hotel of this rating: some pretty dated furniture (and I don't mean period furniture - history is great, but 80s bedside tables with inbuilt radios that don't work are just wrong!); a common annoying occurence in tacky motels is a remote control with no back on the battery panel - one doesn't expect this at The Windsor; I checked in at 13.00 at which time an old room service tray was in the corridor outside my door - when I checked out THE NEXT DAY it was still there; a full length mirror is great in a hotel room, but not when it is obscured by furniture and a curtain - it's use then?; broken sash chord rope on the bathroom window - wasn't annoying, but just looks tacky for 5 star; an air conditioner that took 30 minutes to actually work properly to temperature - not great on a cold night. All small things, but we don't expect this for 5 star. However, most upsetting thing as follows. I preface this by quoting from the hotel's website: "The Hotel Windsor staff go beyond expectations to ensure your stay is memorable and to deliver unsurpassed service excellence." Now, the point of this stay was for my partner and me a special night. But my partner wasn't able to come to Melbourne until the following night by which time we were booked into another hotel. I asked a simple thing: could I have the breakfast a day late, so my partner and I could at least have a bit of Windsor. The request was denied, the excuse being that the package precluded changing breakfast. This is utter nonsense. Having worked as a Food and Bev manager at a Sydney hotel, I know how easy it is to organise a comp breakfast for two on any morning - even a full occupancy morning - let alone on a day that it is not full occupancy (which it was not on the day I asked for). So, I felt that this request - so simply granted - was not beyond expectations. It was met with a friendly NO. I've stayed in lesser star hotels where things have happened that have been way more demanding than this request, so in this regard The Windsor really let me down as it is this kind of special extension of regular service that makes one remember the hotel, the staff and the experience. I stayed at The Langham in Hong Kong where NOTHING was too much trouble - including finding my lost passport in the spa change room of the hotel and bringing it to me personally to the airport AND CHARGING ME NOTHING EXTRA.
On more positive levels - it's a lovely atmosphere, the staff are all friendly (even when they're telling you they can't grant a simple request), everyone is very efficient and the general atmosphere is definitely special as it is certainly unique as there are no other hotels that have this kind of feel. The decor is elegant (save for the common areas in the corridors which are poorly lit, poor choice of paint colour and some rather odd furniture arrangements) and the location is very good indeed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Zaubie,

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing The hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne but more importantly for taking the time to write to us in regards to your recent stay.

It is particularly helpful to me that you included your room number as I can now investigate all of your points made and ensure that we improve. You are absolutely right in saying that it is the small things, attention to detail which can either make or break a stay

In regards to your request to take breakfast a day later I would like to thank you for informing me so that I can discuss this with our Executive team for the future and look at ways to address this. On the other hand it is wonderful to hear that you found our Front Office staff professional and helpful.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Windsor in the near future.

Like us on Facebook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Korean first
Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Just stayed at the Hotel Windsor for a weekend. It was very busy. We had room 409 and it was very large but with a very small bathroom that was an awkward triangle shape, so the toilet banged against the door when it was opened and there wasn't room for two in there at one time. The furnishings for the room were lovely, elegant and clean and the room faced into a courtyard but with opaque glass, you couldn't see out! Huge bed, a pillow menu, tea/coffee facilities. But no turn down service in the evening and no inroom safe, which was odd for a hotel that says it's five stars. There was a mini-bar and plenty of hanging space in the walk-in wardrobe. The hotel was generally elegant but not quite five star. Breakfast was quite a basic buffet and hot food (supposedly made to order) was cold! On Sunday, those guests coming into the breakfast room at 9am had to queue for a table. The concierges were marvellous and friendly, helpful and very polite. Would I stay there again - no, it was too expensive for what it was. But for an old grand hotel, it certainly looked the part and has been very well renovated (although rooms need a freshen up with carpeting and chair covers including some of the chairs in the dining room).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear AussieChook,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne, but more importantly for taking the time to review your recent stay.

It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the lovely comments of our Concierge team.

Unfortunately not all of our room types have safe facilities but as an alternate we do provide safety deposit boxes which are available at Reception 24 hours a day.

In regards to your comments about the cold breakfast I must apologise on behalf of our Director of Food & Beverage who will be investigating with his team as to why this occurred.

Once again thank you for your comments, as always we remain at your service.

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We have been staying at the Windsor every year since 2008 for my partner's birthday and this June was our 6th visit since 2005.

Generally we have had very good experiences (except for an appalling room in August 2011) but I am amazed that the hotel does not appear to want to establish a relationship with regular customers or wish to go that extra step to ensure repeat business. Perhaps they feel one visit a year in a Superior Room is not important enough (although we have upgraded to suites in the past, always order extras such as room service, mini bar etc) or they operate on the idea that once you are a regular they have got you and save the upgrades for first time visitors. This policy has prevented us returning more often and our tourist dollars have gone to hotels, restaurants, shops and bars in other states.

Firstly, I am not one to expect upgrades and extras. Other members of my family never book into a hotel without immediately wanting a change of room, an upgrade and a discount. I feel this is trying to get something for nothing so I always book direct with the hotels rather than trying to get discounts on other websites, travel agents etc, and expect only what I have paid for.

However, as I have started to have a regular relationship with The Windsor I thought maybe they might want to recognise this by going an extra step. Yet everytime, I have had to beg the hotel to get extras they have already advertised, or been refused the cheapest and simplest extra which surely would be Hospitality 101 to ensure repeat business.

Since 2008 we have had the same room and have been very happy. In 2011 we decided to try another room just to have a change and to see if we might get one just as good (or even better). We were placed in a horrible room with no outlook, tucked in a back corner (the windows were painted over) and close to a function room or night club so that we had loud booming music blaring until the early hours of the morning. It ruined the birthday treat, did not seem good service for a regular customer, and made me question whether I would return to the Windsor again.

In 2012 I decided to give the hotel one more try and asked for our old room, a Superior Room on the second floor, which has a Spring St view. We were told this was an upgrade of $30 a night above the Superior Rate of $315 (for Saturday) and $290 (for Sunday). I asked via email if this could be waived for a regular (as it was in 2009) but was told this was not possible, especially on a busy long weekend. Fair enough. We paid the extra and were happy with the room. However, I am absolutely livid to read reviews from RodW of Newcastle on 11 June 2012 and LeonGov of Melbourne on 8 June 2012 who write about getting upgrades AT NO EXTRA COST around the same time! What sort of customer service is that!?

In 2010 I had booked for our Superior Room (I usually book 6 months in advance) and then found that the hotel was advertising a special offer in June - pay for a Junior Suite and get upgraded to a Windsor Suite. I offered to pay the extra to get this special but it took quite a few pleading emails for the hotel to allow me to use this offer. I was not asking for anything more than they were advertising, I was a regular customer, yet it felt as if I had to beg to get this offer. I was contemplating having my father's 70th birthday at the Windsor that year in November, but despite having a lovely stay in June, I thought the hotel does not go out of its way for regulars so we paid for an expensive meal and weekend stay at the outstanding The Loose Box in WA. The Windsor's recalcitrance was Victoria's loss.

We usually go to Sydney every year for my birthday, but in January 2011 but I thought I might try the Windsor again as I love Melbourne so much. There was a special offer for that period of room service breakfast, valet parking, afternoon tea, a bottle of rose and a specail room price. The website said the deal was fully booked but it seemed to me that the only limit (apart from room availabilty) would be space for parking. So I wrote to the Windsor to see what they could do for me as a regular wanting to stay even more at the hotel. The room that I wanted was available, I did not need valet parking, I would even forgo the afternoon tea. But, no, sorry. Busy period during Australian Open came the reply. No Deal for You! So for the cost of a sparkling rose and bacon and eggs the hotel lost my business. We had a superb experience at the Swissotel in Sydney and Victoria missed out again!

It seems very hard to be recognised as a regular and it is disconcerting being rebuffed when I want to increase my visits to the hotel. They even have dropped me off the email mailing list, the last I received was on 15 October 2010, despite being a regular. We all know how hard it is to get removed from commercial mailing lists, yet the Windsor doesn't seem to care about your business and will lose interest in you very soon. It is galling when other hotels where I have stayed once or twice send regular offers on the lines of "we would love to see you come back, have this room discount, breakfast for free etc etc)

I was going to write a more postive review after our stay in June 2012 and mention briefly my concerns about the past (who wants to read about someone whinging about upgrades, eh?) but I was flabbergasted by again being rebuffed while others were given special treatment without seemingly the same history.

The Windsor can be a great place to stay with its old world charm, different from the standard international chains we have used before in Melbourne such as The Westin, Mercure or those on St Kilda Road. You do have to pick your room carefully, however. Luckily we found a Superior Room with a great view, lots of space and well presented. The suites are also superb and luxurious. But some other rooms can be of very average quality as we found in 2011 and as other reviews attest.

The staff are usually very friendly, professional and helpful. The room service is always excellent and the Concierge are very good helping with bags, arranging taxis etc. The doormen can be inconsistent. Often there is someone to open the door as befits the style and prestige of a Grand Hotel. Other times they seem more interested in chatting to drivers or concierge staff rather than attending to the door. The reception can be a little inefficient at times. Despite booking in both our names (my partner and I have separate surnames) over 7 years we still get called Mr & Mrs (choose whichever surname) or, most curiously on the last visit, were asked to fill out two check in cards despite staying in the same room under the same booking.

The room service dinners have always been excellent and there is a very good mini bar selection. We have tried breakfast in the restaurant but it seemed a little expensive and tired. There are far better breakfast options in the cafes off Flinders Lane. Again we had hit or miss with service. As a surprise one year a relative provided a $100 voucher for us knowing that we always get room service and was told this could be used for food and drink, and for room service. When we tried to use it we were told, no, the voucher was only for use in the restaurants. Oh dear.

I will probably never say never, but I am reluctant to continue the dance with the Windsor. Our next visit to Melbourne will probably mean a stay at the Langham or the Blackman, or maybe we will consider Sydney or Perth or the wonderful SA wine regions instead for our June long weekend birthday treat. The Windsor seems quite indifferent to its guests and sadly other businesses in Victoria will lose our custom because of this curious attitude.

Room Tip: If booking a Superior Room it is best to chose one with a Spring St view (there is an extra cost of...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Dear Scott P,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent and past stays at The Hotel Windsor.

At all times we do try to take care of all our guests and in particular our return guests and I am sorry to hear that you feel over the years we have not taken the effort to look after you. We do try to upgrade guests who have stayed with us before but unfortunately many factors come into account such as length of stay and room type.

I would also like to thank you for your comments in regards to the restaurant and Concierge service and rest assured I will be following these up with my team and the Director of Food & Beverage.

Scott, I hope to welcome you back to The Hotel Windsor when next in Melbourne. As always I am contactable at the hotel.

Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We had friends staying at The Windsor this week and they suggested we meet in the Cricketer's Bar for a drink before going on to dinner at a restaurant the other end of the city. I hadn't been to the Windsor for some years and was really surprised at how far downhill it had gone. From the word go things weren't good - no one to open the door as you entered the Hotel proper and the brass panels on the front doors were covered in dirty fingerprints - not a good look! But worse was to follow. We entered the Cricketer's Bar to wait for our friends and it was filthy to say the least. The bench tops were covered in sticky drink deposits and God knows what else. We left and asked the guy on Reception if there was an alternative. He suggested Wallis & Ed, a small restaurant/bar in the Windsor complex around the corner in Bourke Street. This was a much better option - quite stark but not bad for pre-dinner drinks at the small tables in the bar area and it was spotlessly clean. A dish of really good olives came with the drinks which was a nice touch. We were there early - 6.30pm for about an hour and there weren't a lot of people so it's a bit hard to judge the atmosphere when the place fills up. We didn't stay for dinner as we had already booked elsewhere but the menu looked good and we'll probably give it a try in the near future. As for the Windsor itself - we won't be returning.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear AussiePam47,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The Hotel Windsor.

The front entrance to our hotel is a beautiful one but the challenge of ensuring our great, brass and glass doors stay clean throughout the day and night is a large one and we do have Housekeeping attendants and Concierge staff who frequently clean and polish the door glass and frames. Unfortunately yes, at times they may need a little extra attention and we do just that when we are not looking after our guests. In regards to our entrance being unmanned I do apologise and have addressed this issue with my team.

I would like to also apologise for the state in which you found our Cricketer's Bar and I must agree with you that no one likes to have a drink at a sticky bar top. I have raised this concern with our Bar Manager and Director of Food & Beverage so they can investigate and ensure the standards of the Cricketer's Bar exceed expectations.

Wallis & Ed was opened at the end of last year by the hotel and is slightly more modern that the other bar and restaurant options available and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy a drink before dinner at the bar. Wallis & Ed does get busier later in the evenings and has a great, friendly atmosphere and the dinner menu is also fantastic.

Once again thank you for your comments about our Bar and entrance and we hope to at the very least welcome you back to Wallis & Ed in the near future.

Mornington Peninsula, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My partner and I enjoyed a lovely high tea at the Windsor on Sunday (Queens birthday w/end). Service was attentive and very professional. Food was deicious to say the least. A very nice afternnoon out for something different.
Is it worth the money? Maybe not...but Im sure its for the high tea "experience". Its not something you would do every week but I would return again one day.

Dear niccij,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor to experience our High Tea. We have been serving tea in the afternoons since first opening in 1883 so we know a thing or two about tea.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed yourself and I do agree that it isn't something you can do every week but for a special occasion our restaurant is the perfect location.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to The hotel Windsor in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

the location was perfect for our "weekend with the girls". we were close to all the action for shopping, dining and bars, and when we came home we had fabulously comfy beds and very quiet rooms for a peaceful night's sleep. very helpful staff and great breakfast buffet.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear KAMCOL,

It is wonderful to hear that you had the perfect girls weekend away. Great choice of location too if I may say so myself.

We do have many suite and bedding configurations available and it is great to see you were able to take advantage of this.

Hopefully the shopping was not too strenuous, but it looks like our brand new beds did their job well.

Once again thank you for staying and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Windsor in the near future.

melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

old world charm in this historic hotel. we love staying here. great service.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear pmeltham,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us last year and we hope to welcome you back to The Hotel Windsor in the near future.