“favourite in melbourne” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
melbourne
“favourite in melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

old world charm in this historic hotel. we love staying here. great service.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear pmeltham,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us last year and we hope to welcome you back to The Hotel Windsor in the near future.

As always we remain at your service.

Like us on Facebook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Korean first
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Spent two days over the Queens birthday long weekend. Doormen and reception staff extremely friendly and very jovial. Booked two superior rooms through wotif.com one for my parents and the other for my brother and I.
We arrived 9pm Sat night and were immediately upgraded into the Windsor suite for my parents and the deluxe room for us at no extra cost. Very impressed. Windsor suite brilliant, large with a living area with extra flat screen TV and overlooking Parliament House. The deluxe room was pretty much the same but without the living area.
Was worried after reading others comments about worn carpet and peeling wallpaper but fears were dispelled upon opening the door. Beds and pillows very comfortable. Free city tram right outside entrance. Had a great time will be back...

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a deluxe room with view. makes the holiday.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Rod W,

What a great choice, to spend your Queen's Birthday long weekend at The Hotel Windsor named after her family. The hotel is of course this month in the midst of celebrating the Diamond Jubilee with a special High Tea offering which I'm sure would be of the liking to Her Majesty.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade and the additional space. At times complimentary upgrades are possible when the hotel is fully booked however as you said booking a Deluxe Room gives you the same comfort and space as our suites.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope getting back to work after the long weekend isn't too hard for you or your family.

Barwon Heads, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I have stayed at and reviewed this hotel before, and have always enjoyed it. This time however I took a sneaky "Secret hotel" deal from a travel website at an extraordinarily cheap rate, which entitled me to a "Traditional Room" - which is the basic room at the Windsor. I have always been in "Superior" rooms before and have twice been lucky enough to be upgraded, so this was a new experience.

Once again the room was lovely, well presented with a comfy bed and the usual marble fittings with White Company products in the bathroom. The room was smaller than other rooms I had stayed in, however it was average size for many other hotels. The window was frosted because it looked out over the light well in the centre of the building, and in the morning I could hear the hotel staff tip-tapping up and down the outside stairs. It strangely reminded me of Italy or Spain - those inner city apartment quads with the voices and footsteps echoing up the courtyards.

The only faults I really could find with these rooms was that the door was very close to the bed, and was very thin, so when people were talking in the corridor it sounded as if they were right next to my head (which, in effect, they were). You could hear the lifts from about 07.00 which meant my sleep-in following a largish night with mates didn't really eventuate, and then housekeeping knocked on the door at 10.00, obviously not realising that I hadn't yet checked out... (I'm pretty sure check out is at 11.00??) I did feel sorry for the poor lady who looked appalled when faced with my dripping bedraggled figure swathed in a towel!

When you consider I was paying the same price as you would pay for the ratty backpackers Victoria Hotel down on Swanston St, I reckon it was a damn good deal. I got to stay in a beautiful, comfy room at the Pais end of Collins St, and Room Service still provides the best Eggs Benedict in Melbourne (superb hangover cure).

MOST IMPORTANTLY despite the fact that I was staying in the cheapest room, the service the Windsor staff provided was still fabulous, from the smiling lady delivering my breakfast, to the friendly reception staff, and best of all, the wonderful concierge who not only let me leave my bags with them all day after I had checked out (so I could shop all day!), but also provided me with a capacious umbrella as it was a typical Melbourne winter day.

In future, if I have the moulah I would definitely choose a superior room over a traditional. However at the price I paid, I certainly got my money's worth at this Grand old Hotel.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for a superior room - bigger, better views and quieter. If you are looking...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Natale L,

Best to start this letter off with a heartfelt "Welcome Back!"

What a good risk to take booking a secret hotel and ending up at The Hotel Windsor for a third time. The hotel's Traditional Rooms are the smallest of all six categories but are ideal for an overnight stay if you are heading out for the night, shopping of in your case both (The perfect weekend).

I must agree the next category, Superior King is a little more spacious and the larger king bed compared to queen is well worth the additional cost.

When next in Melbourne please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel as if would be a pleasure to assist in planning your next stay,

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Windsor when next in the city.

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

This hotel is a true beauty, with a grand staircase and wonderful old world features.It has an elegantly decorated entrance along with an impeccably dressed friendly doorman. Wonderful comfortable bed as well as a large room, we did have a little trouble with the toilet flushing-but that was fixed. Also very quiet.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear paula c,

Thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to appreciate our hotel's architecture. The grand staircase is a truly magnificent piece of 1880's Victorian architecture and has remained untouched since the hotel's opening in 1883.

My apologies for the bathroom issue but from your account looks to have been resolved in a timely manner.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Windsor in the near future.

As always we remain at your service.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Treated my wife to a birthday treat with a room for us at The Windsor. Booked thru Webjet for a Superior Room some months before. I called and confirmed booking a few days before and spoke to the concierge desk to organise flowers and a bottle of sparkling wine to greet my wife who would be checking in before me. Received very courteous service from two staff members in the organising of this. Then on the day we were upgraded to Deluxe Room at no extra cost. This unexpected bonus made my wife's night! Accompanying the flowers (which was exactly as requested!) and wine was a birthday card signed by several staff members. This could be taken as a bit forward (by me) or a lovely touch (by my wife)!

The room overlooked the State Parliament (a lovely 19th Century building) which is on a very busy street and I was a bit concerned, from reading some other reviews, about street noise (trams, cars, emergency vehicles) however this was never a bother. The double glazing and thick curtains were superb. So much so that when my wife woke up she initially believed it was 6.30am instead of the 9.30am due to the amount of light coming thru! Literally, the best curtains I have encountered in blocking light!

The other fittings & furnishings in the room were sumptous and of good quality. The King size bed was excellent, the chairs and couch all comfortable. The bathroom was large and the water pressure and temperature was excellent. I should note that the complimentary robes were able to fit someone of a more than ample girth. However we did discover in the morning that there was no power to the room fridge and the lamps either side of the couch were also not functioning so not sure if a fuse problem or something else. But as we discovered this literally just before we checked out this did not impact our one night stay significantly.

If you are attracted to room service then there was an well stocked (but expensive) mini bar, there was an extensive Movenpick ice cream menu (11 flavours), pay per view movies, pillow menu (included in room charge) and an extensive in room dining menu. However as we didn't sample it we can't speak to the quality however I mention it as an indication of what's on offer. But certainly if you were planning to not leave your room it all looked incredibly attractive!

There was an aftertaste of our stay that is a little sour. I was quoted a price which I thought covered both the flowers and the wine for the surprise for my wife. It turned out that only covered the flowers. When checking out I was informed of a "Room Service Lunch" charge. I checked with my wife who confirmed no Room Service Lunch was ordered. I paid for the flowers and we checked out. 15 minutes later I received a phone call from the hotel to clarify the charge was for the wine and could they proceed to charge the credit card. Leaving aside the unexpected cost, the lack of clarity both when I placed the order and on check out about the pricing for the wine was something not up to standard of mostly everything else we received from this hotel. I should mention that some 3 years ago we stayed at The Windsor and were charged for a bottle of champagne we never ordered(or consumed!). Admittedly as soon as it was queried the charge disappeared both both these instances indicate a possible issue regarding charges and attention to detail that prospective guests should consider.

In short:

PRO:
Well furnished room with a wide range of amenities that are to a five star standard.
Courteous, friendly staff who seem genuinely interested in maintaining the hotel's standards and looking after your stay. They were aware we had stayed there before (once and three years-but they were aware!
Great central location if visiting Melbourne

CON:
Ageing building - see above comment re bar fridge and lamps.
Attention to detail is lacking, when ordering anything out of the ordinary ensure that you cover all the bases re costs so no surprises.

OVERALL:
Definately recommended, we were impressed and the 'con's' did not offset the positives that significantly. There is an old world charm about The Windsor that for me, makes it very attractive. Also the upgrade was fantastic - who doesn't like an upgrade?

Room Tip: Get a Deluxe Room - especially if you're treating yourself - they're worth it. Also if its a...
Dear LeonGov,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. Your review including both "Pros" and "Cons" is really appreciated as only true and honest reviews can assist us in delivering quality, consistent service.

As mentioned in the below review response from david1949 the hotel is an historic building with many quirks however we do not believe that it detracts from our personal service.

With many Trip Advisor reviews it is hard to give exact answers and respond on a personal level however it was brought to my attention after your departure the billing issues and I am sincerely sorry for the confusion caused. It really should never had happened and I have addressed this as needed with members of my team. Attention to detail is critical in all that we do and I really do believe that it is the small things that count when staying in a hotel.

Once again LeonGov, thank you for your review. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email when next in Melbourne.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Having never stayed at the Windsor, I was a bit apprehensive when I booked for 3 nights on an ultra-cheap deal. I needn't have worried! Although the old girl has been around the blocks a few times since 1883, she's responded well to a sensitive makeover - I was pleasantly surprised to find a marble bathroom, iPod dock, and WiFi in the room. The decor is a bit 'genteel shabby', at least in my room, but overall was clean and had everything we needed, including generous bathrobes and some golf-sized umbrellas.

Staff were attentive and keen to assist. Needed to print off some theatre tickets I booked online - no problem, PC with printer in the lobby. Hot breakfast was included in our rate, I agree with others that $35 is a bit steep, but certainly a value package overall given what we paid.

Location excellent, the free city loop tram stops outside, plenty of shops, restaurants and theatres within a short stroll. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are quiet - we had 315 which looked into a central atrium, no view, but no noise either...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Nick M, Front Office Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear david1949,

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing The Hotel Windsor as your home whilst in Melbourne, but more importantly for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I must agree The Windsor has "been around the blocks" a couple of times but I hope that that experience and history only enhances our guest's stay. We have recently installed new bedside lamps, iPhone/iPad docking stations and the fast new wireless internet has only improved our guest's experience.

I like to think that our historic building, coupled with the modern necessities required and our young, energetic Guest Services team makes for a wonderful stay and I am glad that on this occasion we were able to deliver.

For a perfectly quiet night's sleep our internal rooms are ideal as at times being in the heart of the city noise from the street below can sometime be heard.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We recently had two nights at the Windsor on a hotel special deal. Like philevans we were given a rear room on the second floor. I suppose if they give you a good deal you have to accept some compromises. Or do you? Like to know what others think. Anyway the room was large and the bed was very good. On close inspection the furnishings were shabby. The curtains not quite fresh - although the bedding and the towels fine. I read some reviews prior to the stay which suggested making sure we asked for a refurbished room but we decided to go with the one allocated. We did enjoy the old world ambiance of the hotel. We also found the staff faultless. Nothing was too much trouble and they were very friendly. The included breakfast was also very good.

Room Tip: Yes, do ask for a refurbished room.
Dear clighten,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Hotel Windsor it really is appreciated.

It is wonderful to read that you found your night comfortable especially since we have recently replaced all of the hotel's bedding with brand new mattress and base sets.

Being an historic hotel does create challenges for us and you are correct in saying we do have a limited number of refurbished rooms. We are also progressing well painting all of our guests rooms and in the coming months will have completed the entire hotel and I am confident that this will only enhance our guest's experience at the hotel.

Once again thank you for your review and as always I am contactable on via email at the hotel.

Like us on Facebook

Been to The Hotel Windsor? Share your experiences!