“A classic weekend in Melbourne” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Direct For Free WiFi
Ranked #22 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Gold Coast
“A classic weekend in Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Thanks to all the staff at The Hotel Windsor. We just spent 2 nights in your beautiful hotel in Melbourne's city centre. Our greeting at our taxi was warm and welcoming, as well as your lovely reception team and your breakfast staff. Our suite on the top floor was spacious and well appointed for our needs. We couldn't have asked for more, so thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Parliament House
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
VictoriaBatters, Marketing Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear BaconHam,

Thanks for posting your great review! I will pass on your thanks to all the staff at the hotel; they will be most pleased to hear your positive comments.

Victoria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

We had been trying to get down to Melbourne for some time and it had been a while since we were last there - too long.

I had wanted to stay at the Hotel Windsor forever and when I found a great rate for a Classic Room, I grabbed it for our two night stay on 2nd - 4th November 2011. My late grandmother used to stay there many years ago and entertain her friends at afternoon tea so I had a family history there I wanted to experience for myself ... and I wasn't disappointed.

We were met by Russell at the door, resplendant in a red vest and top hat and our first impressions of the lounge area met our expectations about the "olde worlde" charm that this hotel has. Our check in was quick and easy and we asked about the services (eg dining etc) and were given great information which we later followed up on.

After checking into our Classic Room (No 422) with a lovely wooden door, portico and painting above the door, we were delighted to find a beautifully decorated room in the style I had imagined it would be - large walk-in wardrobe with drawers, ironing board, umbrella, slippers, monogrammed robes etc.

The large marble bathroom had a very deep bath and separate "nook" with the toilet and shower which had an option for an overhead shower or a pulse type shower. There were tons of amenities - body wash, body lotion, toothbrushes, sewing kits, soaps, hair dryer etc and the towels were huge - around 2 metres long !!

The room which overlooked Spring Street was very spacious with a writing desk, tea/coffee facilities, TV, mini bar and lots of prints on the wallpapered walls. The carpet was an "olde worlde" style with a rose and trellis design and added to the ambience of the room as did the lighting. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets nice and crisp. We had a pillow menu but the ones on the bed suited us so we had no need to change them.

Soon after checking in, we decided to to have Afternoon Tea. The cost at around $59 per person is similar to other 4-5 star hotels. We had two macaroons each, sandwiches with different fillings including chicken/mayonaise, smoked salmon, egg etc plus a variety of small cakes and pastries as well as a fruit and plain scone each with thick King Island style cream and jam. We asked for Flat Whites instead of tea or filtered coffee and had two cups each at no extra charge. On the day we were were there, there were at least 30 people at the first seating (Wednesday) and we found the service to be very good and quietly efficient - no hovering either !

We didn't eat breakfast or dinner in the dining room but we did have the "special" at the Cricketers Arms which is part of the hotel - fish and chips with a glass of wine - $14 each. The Cricketers Arms seems to be a very popular bar for locals and guests and the prices very reasonable too.

While hotel choice in Melbourne can be a bit overwhelming, I can say that I think the Hotel Windsor is a great spot for seeing the sights of Melbourne due to it's proximity to some of the attractions (eg Parliament House, Fitzroy Gardens) and transport which is more or less outside its door. We were able to catch the Free City Circle loop tram right outside the Hotel or if we had wanted to, Parliament train station which is very close too.

On our second day, we travelled outside Melbourne by train from the Southern Cross Railway so we simply rounded the corner to Bourke Street and caught a train to Spencer Street - it was very easy.

There are lots of cafes and restaurants nearby too if you don't feel like eating in the hotel or want to try something new.

When we left the Hotel, we checked out at 11am and left our bags with the Concierge while we caught the Free Tourist Shuttle (bus) from Exhibition Stree behind the Hotel Windsor. The first shuttle bus from here was at 9.51am during our stay. This is a great way to get around the city and see a little further afield than the City Circle Tram offers, however the Shuttle is less frequent than the free Tram and the service finishes prior to 5pm (when we were there).

In a nutshell, what I loved about the Hotel Windsor is that it is a unique establishment in Melbourne and definitely worth a stay. And yes there is a little wear and tear ... but for us, that is part of its charm - it's definitely not a brown / beige blah boring 5 star hotel !

I would definitely want to stay there again and would ask for our room again ... or may be one of the Victoria Suites in the old part of the hotel near the fabulous staircase !

Every member of the hotel staff we talked to was enthusiastic about the Hotel and some members of staff have been there for years which says a lot about how they feel about the hotel. Thanks for a great stay

Room Tip: Classic Room 422 on the 4th Floor overlooking Parliament is a great choice if you don't want a s...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear DougoOz,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Lovely to hear about your grandmothers history with the hotel- I don’t suppose you have any photos for our archives? Email me if you do, I would love to hear more!

Thrilled you liked your room and appreciated the "olde worlde" charm and I'll pass your positive feedback onto the Food & Beverage department- they will be delighted to hear it.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

victoriabatters@thehotelwindsor.com.au
Bendigo.Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I decided to treat myself to some old world elegance and class, and it did not disappoint. The staff in their livery and uniforms was so old world and classy. I only spent one night but I will go there again. I had room service for dinner as I am a solo traveller and do not like to venture out at night. It was very affordable and very nice, all brought by a waiter in uniform. Wow. Breakfast was also lovely and a late checkout sealed the deal. Loved it, keep it up as we do not have enough of the little treats in life. The staff were faultless and the building beautiful. No complaints about my room, it was perfect, although next time I will ask for the other side of the building so I can look across at the gardens.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Dear Cruiser068,

Thanks for posting your great review of our hotel. I will pass you comments onto our Food & Beverage team who will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed room service and breakfast during your stay. Thank you for appreciating the "old world" charm of our hotel. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Emerson, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

One of the hardest things when reading reviews is trying to decide where the people are coming from and what their expectations were for the hotel. So I'll try to make it easy for you. My wife and are in our late twenties, love to travel and typically stay in 2-3 star type hotels.

When visiting Melbourne we decided to treat ourselves and stay in a fancier hotel. We came across the Windsor and were drawn in by the architecture and history of the building. On arrival from the Skybus shuttle we were greeted by the doorman and had our bags taken from us for delivery to our room. Check-in was a breeze and the staff extremely helpful. Up the beautiful staircase we went to our 3rd floor standard room. The room itself was pretty small, the chair pretty worn, but the bed and bathroom were nice. I think we were in the addition wing rather than the original part of the hotel. We took advantage of the pillow menu and ordered new pillows, which thought was kind of fun.

In summary, the room was really nothing to write home about, but the building was beautiful and the staff excellent.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear LandisD,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Our Front Office team will be thrilled to hear you found their service extremely helpful. I hope you will visit us again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

This lovely old place has much in common with London's Ritz or Savoy - even though it predates both of them. When you stay here you know you're not in a formulaic chain hotel - it's quirky, welcoming and efficient. Our suite on Spring Street was large and elegant with wonderful views of Parliament House. The lifts have a stately feel although you wouldn't want them in a 50-storey building, particularly if you were in a hurry. If you have time, try using the staircase - it's heritage listed and transports you back to the days of Marvellous Melbourne when Victoria was still a colony. Check in was friendly and efficient and from then on everyone seemed to remember our names. Location is terrific - close to a train station, Chinatown, most of the city's theatres, bars and restaurants and handy for shopping in Bourke and Collins Streets. If you're looking for the best value for your dollar try a little gently arm-twisting - ask for added value.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Paule106,

Thanks for posting your lovely review. Delighted you found your stay "quirky, welcoming and efficient". Hope to see you again soon.

Adelaide
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I had previously stayed at the Hotel and loved it, but this time the stay was met with some dissapointment. The staff were great, being both professional and friendly and the restaurant for dinner was very nice. The rooms are however very old. Peeling wallpaper and noise from other rooms. Also a long wait for hot water - really the rooms are not five star.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
VictoriaBatters, Marketing Manager at The Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Dear Citystayer_10,

Thanks for posting your review. I was happy to read you received friendly and professional service as well as enjoying dinner in the restaurant; however I'm disappointed that your room didn’t meet your expectations on this occasion.

Fremantle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I was scruffy after a long road trip, but this didn't appear to affect the way we were treated.
The concierge is professional and friendly, they booked the shuttle for the airport bus, supplied our Melbourne public transport day pass.

The lovely staircase well worth the climb. If I was staying longer I would have used the small gym at the top.
The room was comfortable and refurbished but still retaining the ambience from a bygone era.
But some things i noticed were not right, like the chandelier didn't hang straight, and the shower screen wast screwed into the tile wall properly, I looked through the window onto peeling paintwork on the outside of the building.
The old hotel obviously costs a lot to maintain, but I was happy to pay about $170 per night for the experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Ed32South,

Thanks for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the Hotel Windsor experience. If you could please email me the details of your stay I will follow up with maintenance regarding the shower screen etc.

victoriabatters@thehotelwindsor.com.au

Been to The Hotel Windsor? Share your experiences!