“nice clean but nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Quest on Bourke
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   155 Bourke St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #94 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Williams, Australia
“nice clean but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

three of us stayed here in feb 12 for 4 nights. it was a good location as we were going to the read gift fare. The rooms were tidy and clean and a nice kitchen and little lounge, but really nothing wow. not that we were after wow as it was a work trip/ I would stay there again if the occasion arose but not really for a holiday.

Room Tip: we had a 2 bedroom apartment and it suited us down to a tee.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
VW25, General Manager at Quest on Bourke, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the time you took to complete the information. I am happy that we provided you with accommodation that met your needs for your trip to Melbourne. We pride ourselves on our service, location and the relationships we build with our valued guests. Please feel free to contact me should you wish to book again in the future, I would be more than happy to assist you.
Kind regards,
Vanessa Warnock

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed there from 15 to 18 December 2012. Had parents and my son of 18 months along. To our standard, it was accessible and convenient. The hotel staff were very helpful and responsive. The location was great. Nothing to complain about. It was definitely a positive experience for my whole family, including my son.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
VW25, General Manager at Quest on Bourke, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We endeavour to have everyone enjoy their stay with us at Quest on Bourke so they consider returning to us again and again! We love welcoming back our valued guests and I also welcome the opportunity to pass onto the staff your positive comments. Thank you so much for your feedback from the whole team at Quest on Bourke.
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from 3 nights at the Quest on Bourke as we were visiting Melbourne for the Australian Open Tennis. We had a 2 bedroom apartment which had everything we needed to feel comfortable for our time there. . A few comments I would like to make which may have enhanced our experience but which are minor really
1) there is no natural light in one bedroom
2) the furnishings and carpet are all dark
3) the bathroom is large which is fine but the shower is over a huge jacuzzi bath
We felt that the furnishings should be light to give a better sense of space and light. The jacuzzi should go and a stand alone shower be installed instead. Accessing the present shower could be very hazardous for anyone ,especially older people,who may struggle to get into the present set up. There is a grab rail in situ which we all needed!!
We have stayed in many Quest apartments and found the staff at the bourke,really amazing. They are helpful, courteous and unflappable and no request seemed to bother them.
Thank you for a great stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback in regard to your stay with us at Quest on Bourke. As the majority of your feedback is in regard to the physical building, some of these items are not able to be rectified such as no windows in certain bedrooms, we do take on board your feedback in regard to the showers and the furnishings however and appreciate you taking the time to comment and let us know. I am also pleased you had positive interactions with our staff, and it will give me great pleasure to pass your positive comments onto the team here. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you once again to Quest on Bourke in the future. Thank you again.
Rockhampton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at Quest on Bourke over Christmas 2012. My family had a 2 bedroom apartment which was nice, clean, a great size and just perfect. The staff had already set up the cot we requested (including bedding etc) and we felt very welcome. My parents also stayed in a standard room and that was also very nice. The location is great, the staff friendly and the cleaning staff were the friendliest I have ever met (the were really sweet to the kids). Just a few issues (one very small and trivial and the other not so)...the laundry has a washer/dryer - the dryer does not work, not a biggy - I just air dried the clothes. The other issue is a bit long but it really was what made me give Quest 4 stars and not 5. So...here it goes...we knew that the rooms would not be serviced over the public holidays and were prepared for that. However, we were under the impression that if we contacted reception, it would not be such a hassle to tidy up the room ourselves. We had a family christmas lunch and had lots of rubbish (presents wrappings, prawn shells, left over food etc) and used up all the dishwasher tablets and dishwashing liquid. Boxing Day we were out all day and came back and realised (our fault) that the room had not been serviced and the room was starting to get a bit smelly. The next day (not a public holiday) my husband got up at 6am to call reception and ask if he could come down and get some dishwashing liquid and garbage bags and asked where we could put our rubbish. We did not expect housekeeping to come so early but wanted to clean up for ourselves. By 8am, nothing. We called again and explained we had quite a lot of rubbish and wanted to know what to do. We also had nothing to wash our dishes to have breakfast. The man at reception questioned why we had so much rubbish and told us someone would be up soon. We gave up on the dishes and my husband went out and bought us all breakfast. By 10am, I called and explained the room was starting to smell, PLEASE just tell us where to take the rubbish. It was at this point I gave up and took some garbage bags off a cleaner's cart in the hallway. Finally, after calling at 11am, someone came up and gave us a few things so we could wash dishes and they took the rubbish away. What may seem trivial was actually quite bizarre for us. Here we were in a really nice hotel, we weren't asking for housekeeping - we just wanted a few things so we did not have to have rotting food and dirty dishes in our room and it was made into such a huge deal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
VW25, General Manager at Quest on Bourke, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, it is truly appreciated. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay however, I would like to address your housekeeping/reception communication issue. I have communicated with the staff that were on duty on that day and unfortunately, there is no excuse I can offer you apart from the fact that they were busy at reception and the urgency of your requirements were not impressed upon our housekeepers to assist with taking up bags and removing your rubbish. Please accept my most sincere apologies for this inconvenience that was caused to you and your family by our lack of prompt communication - I am happy if you would like to discuss the matter further to continue communications with you via email, you can contact me at the property via questonbourke@questapartments.com.au Thank you again for your feedback.
Melbourne, Australi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed here overnight mid week as I went to see a band in the CBD. I was surprised at how BIG the room was, it was huge! I was even more surprised to see that the bathroom had an awesome corner spa bath!

Great clean hotel, centrally located - nice and close to shops, restaurants and venues.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle,WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I saw some negativity and thought I would provide another perspective. I believe that all the units have new furniture now (not that the old furniture was bad). It is an urban environment with accompanying noises, but it didn't prevent me from sleeping. My husband wore earplugs to sleep because he is more sensitive to sounds. The most convenient aspect of Quest Bourke Street is accessibility of transit. You have four choices: 1) Exit the 4th floor and take the sky bridge to the Southern Cross train station. 2) Exit the 1st floor and walk around the corner to the regular newer looking trams. 3) Exit the 1st floor and walk around the corner to the FREE historic circle trams. 4) Exit the 1st floor and walk around the corner to the FREE red bus that goes all around Melbourne. That's what I call accessibility! You can also walk around the corner and cross the street to rent a bike for an hour or a day. It is about 3 blocks to the post office, a Safeway store (owned by Woolworths), pharmacy, bakery, Asian food mart and restaurants. Also, strolling on the water's edge is very pleasant. The neighborhood seemed safe to me. I guess that a lot of people live in the high rise apartments, and I saw them walking their dogs or heading to the markets after work. It's very convenient and saves lots of money to have a kitchenette (since restaurant brekky seemed to cost at least $10).

Room Tip: All the units have kitchenettes, but not all of them have balconies. Some balconies are large and ot...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mackay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Most of my family (9 in total) stayed for 7 nights, We had 2x2 bedroom Apt.and a 1 bedroom Apt. OMG what at great place to stay has everything you could ask for. The Manager and all staff were pleasent to deal with and if you had a problem or needed help they had no hesitations in helping. It is close to all shops and food outlets. You can catch a tram at the front door. The hotel is very clean and I would highly recommend it to anyone. What a great Place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quest on Bourke? Share your experiences!