“Excellent value for money.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Great Southern Hotel

You added The Great Southern Hotel to your Saves list
The Great Southern Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   44 Spencer St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Hotel Enterprize)   |
Ranked #125 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Victoria Australia
“Excellent value for money.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I have stayed here before. This time I asked for a quiet room and was given a beautiful room which was really quiet - my previous room had fronted Spencer St. I paid $70 for the night. For two people sharing, $35 each is basically backpacker prices but this is no backpackers. The room had: two comfy beds, couch; table and chairs; bathroom with a huge bath; tea and coffee making facilities; fridge, and flat screen tv. It has a very pleasant restaurant attached. And, it is CLEAN!!! The hotel's location is fantastic - right opposite Southern Cross Station and the airport Skybus, a factory outlet shopping mall, and Etihad Stadium. There are some good restaurants and bars in the area. You can stroll across the Yarra River down to the Casino. The main CBD shops and Art's Centre are either a short train or tram trip away. I think I was fortunate this time as my room was nicer than my previous one, but I was very happy with that one too. I will always choose this hotel for value and location.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. The rooms on the main street are fairly noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We booked this hotel for 1 night for a football weekend in Melbourne, May 24th. I chose this hotel for the price and location.

We arrived early on Saturday morning, and although we requested early check in, we were informed that our room would not be ready until 2:00pm. Although disappointing, it gave us the chance to catch a tram up to Lygon Street for breakfast.

The courtyard room was recently renovated, a reasonable size, with a comfortable queen bed and pillows, with a spacious and modern bathroom. Although the hotel is going through renovations to the lobby and some rooms, this is only a minor inconvenience.

I would be happy to stay here again, depending on the price offered compared to the other Spencer Street hotels I usually compare this hotel to.

Only 2 small gripes with this hotel. One is that they charge you $2 a bag to store your luggage on check out, the 2nd is the late check in time of 2:00pm and early check out time of 10:00am. This seems pretty standard with these cheaper hotels in Australia....

Room Tip: Request a newly renovated courtyard room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

I had no expectations about my stay and was pleasantly surprised! I requested an earlier check in & my wish was granted. The lady who served me at reception was extremely pleasant and professional. My bed & pillows were very comfy. The room was modern,clean & suitable for my needs. A fantastic location in the CBD, so close to Southern Cross Station & Public Transport. I would stay again because it's value for money.

• Stayed May 2014
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

When booking this hotel, it was quite unclear which room I had booked. I thought I had booked one of the newly refurbished rooms but I got one of the older ones instead. I booked just a double room for my girlfriend and I but got 2 double beds, which wasn't a big deal. The room was neat and quite comfortable, the bathroom was also adequate. The only great thing about the hotel was the location which was right next to southern cross station where the skybus stopped for easy access to the airport. If I knew I was getting the room I did instead of the refurbished one, considering the amount I paid, I would rather stay somewhere else.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Renovations in progress in lobby made access difficult, but nice modern basic room newly renovated made for a cheap and convenient night very near the southern cross railway station for easy access to the airport.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Allen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

This was a very unusual hotel. Obviously it is being extensively renovated. The rooms are built around a strange concrete atrium which looks like a penitentiary. All that was missing was the guards. Instead we had smokers. Within an hour of checking in there was a (false) fire alarm and we all had to trek down the stairs. To reach our room we had to take a lift to the fourth floor and then walk down a short flight of stairs, walk around the fresh air atrium and across to our room. It looked a bit like those old motels on the Gold Coast, with external walkways, but high rise. That said, the room was very modern with a good bed and excellent bathroom. The TV obviously hadn't been factored into the design and was on a side wall so you had to turn your head while lying in bed. The room was clean, the staff friendly and the baggage room was secure. It was also conveniently located opposite the bus station. It really was an odd mixture of pluses and minuses.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the atrium so you don't have to use stairs and trek outside to reach yo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Yes the rooms were not bad - all you need really is somewhere to sleep. The renovations on the ground floor made the place a little harder to find. The covered rectangle in the middle of the hotel with the walkways around are just like a prison. The only thing I really disliked was the smoking in the main rectangle in the middle of the hotel. I wondered if people were smoking in there because they were too lazy to walk outside - then I noticed the metal ashtrays screwed to the walls around the walkways. The individual air-conditioners above the doors sucked the smoke into the room - not pleasant. I liked the fact there was no minibar with alcohol etc so checking out was very quick. I would probably stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Great Southern Hotel? Share your experiences!