“New construction, but poor ergonomics” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Great Southern Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Great Southern Hotel to your Saves list
The Great Southern Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   44 Spencer St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Hotel Enterprize)   |
Ranked #122 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Great Neck, New York
“New construction, but poor ergonomics”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

This hotel is adequate. While we were there construction began at 8 in the morning and continued until 6 at night.
The room size was fine. The bathroom was a little small. The shower had a very tiny saddle under the door and water flooded out into the rest of the bathroom. The water temp fluctuated so much it was almost unbearable. Also, the sink was tiny with a large shelf right above it, making shaving or washing your face a chore.
There are led recessed lights in the room and no night stand lights, so you are greeted with intense lights shining in your eyes while in bed with no dimmer.
The courtyard is brightly lit 24/7 and we found the window blinds unable to block all the light.
With all these negatives, the stay wasn't really that bad. The location is close to the train station. The quality of the construction was very nice, just the ergonomics of its design were poorly thought out.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Burnie, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

The location was very convenient as it is very close to the train station in the CBD. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room I had was a bit dated, but was a good size. Didn't have a meal there or use car park so can't comment on those.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I booked at the last moment, I felt that the staff quality was good but slightly rude. The place smells of paint from the construction work that went on well into the early evening. The amenities were nice but after paying the $22 fee for internet (24hrs or 1 GB) I found the service slow and unable to keep up with simple pages like facebook. I really consider it to be a bit of a drag as well as you have to pay to have your luggage held for the day as well.

Room Tip: courtyard rooms are under construction,
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I was a little concerned about this hotel given other reviews but it was without fault. Clean, modern and comfortable and a great location close to Etihad. Also incredibly good value. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Lithgow NSW Aus.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

My story is much the same as Belinda B's. My wife booked this hotel as a surprise, then i read the reviews. I was very apprehensive, expecting all sort of diabolical catastrophies to descend upon us. When we entered the foyer, the 1st thing i saw was the desk staff smartly attired in neat suits. We were greeted warmly, and i thought " surely, if the beginning is so impressive, the rest can't be so bad". Our room was matched by the service downstairs, clean, comfortable and made a good impression. This is not a 5 star hotel, probably not even 4 star, but i couldn't find fault with our room. Even on busy Spencer St, i had no troule with noise. Location is brilliant, short walk to trams and casino, and don't worry about traipsing around looking for breakfast, the inhouse restaurant serves as good a brekky as i've had anywhere. Overall very happy and would not hesitate to stay here again. I think maybe some reviewers are dead set looking for faults and things to complain about.When i go away, i'm on holidays. I'm not in my room much at all really. If its clean, tidy and i'm not worried about masked men jumping out of the closet in the middle of the night, or Basil Fawlty shoving a bat up my wifes nightdress, i'm happy. And i was happy with the Great Southern Hotel Melbourne!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I had booked and paid for this hotel prior to staying there. If not, I would have walked out just after I walked into the dingy, dirty lobby. The desk clerk was not particularly pleasant either. I had 2 suitcases and a bicycle box and struggled to carry everything into the closet sized elevator myself- no help was offered. When I entered my "superior"room on the first floor (I think it was 105), I couldn't believe it. Pretty much, there were no windows, just 2 panes of glass on opposite sides of the wall about 8 inches wide and 4 ft high. As previously mentioned, it reminded me of a prison cell as well. The rugs were stained and the bathroom floor and tile grout was brown. I went downstairs and requested another room immediately. Off I went to the 5th floor which had a huge window but remained dirty. I could see someone's fingerprints where they had something orange on them and it stained the curtains. Yuch! There were no mattress pads on the bed which did not help my comfort level. Long story short, I guess $90/night is cheap these days and the location was directly across from the Southern Cross Train and Sky Bus services. That was the main factor for my staying here. It is also a short walk to the city center and the river. Hindsight is 20:20, but I would have passed on the great location to get a room where I did not feel the need to check the mattress 1st for bedbugs (didn't see any).

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you take it. Rooms on the back are older, and the ones on the back right...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed here for our final night in Australia at the end of a three week tour.

We were booked on a room only basis and didn't eat at the hotel.

We arrived several hours prior to check-in time, since we had been staying at a hotel only a couple of hundred yards away the night before. To our surprise and delight, we were checked in to our room after only a short delay. There was no extra charge for this. As a result we were able to settle into our room and then spend the rest of the day touring the city.

The hotel was under renovation at the time of our visit and I have to be honest and say that the design reminded me of a prison! The rooms formed a rectangle around a central balcony over which you could look down to the floors below.

Our room, which I guess was on a floor where renovations had been recently completed, was very clean, decorated in a modern style and quite spacious.

When we complained of being cold, someone from reception came up to our room and lent us their own fan heater.

All in all, this hotel was a pleasant surprise.

When we checked out the following day, we had to pay 2 Australian dollars each to leave our 2 suitcases in storage while we spent the day touring the city.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Great Southern Hotel? Share your experiences!