“A Great Hotel Experience - despite the critics” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Great Southern Hotel

You added The Great Southern Hotel to your Saves list
The Great Southern Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   44 Spencer St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Hotel Enterprize)   |
Ranked #125 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Maryborough, Australia
“A Great Hotel Experience - despite the critics”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

In March 2012 I required six nights accommodation in Melbourne. After searching the web I discovered the Hotel Enterprize in Spencer Street. The hotel was in a central location, close to transport and from the website seemed to be an excellent choice. There are several room options available but, seeing I was staying with a friend for nearly a week I opted for a twin double deluxe room. I made the booking with not1night.com.au and secured a room for less than $100 per night.

Usually I check the customer reviews on Trip Advisor before making a booking but on this occasion I made the booking first.

Needless to say that I was horrified when reading some of the Hotel Enterprize reviews on Trip Advisor and considered cancelling my booking.

Fortunately for me I did not take this action as the room was excellent and was the best value-for-money accommodation that I have experienced in a very long time.

The room was large and clean and the two double beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was also large and well maintained. I have stayed in four and five star hotels across Australia and other parts of the world that showed much greater signs of age and wear and tear than I experienced at the Hotel Enterprize.

Some reviewers had criticised the television. However in my room there was a new digital television (not large but adequate) and the quality of reception on all channels was faultless. One downside was that there was no pay television but, for less than $100 per night, it is a bit much to expect.

The room was cleaned, fresh towels were supplied and tea, coffee, milk and biscuits replenished each day.

The big selling point for me was that for the full six days I did not hear any external noise at night. For me this was a first for any hotel regardless of class. Admittedly, the room was at the rear of the hotel and had no view but I would willingly sacrifice a view for an uninterrupted night’s sleep.

I found the reception staff very accommodating and the hotel lived up to its expectations with respect to access to transport with the Southern Cross Station only about 200 metres away and trams running past the door.

In summary therefore, I cannot comment on the quality of the other classes of rooms available at the Hotel Enterprize, Melbourne but from my personal experience I have nothing but praise for the hotel and would thoroughly recommend the twin double deluxe rooms.

Room Tip: Use not1night to get the best value rooms. Sacrifice a view for quieter rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Stayed one night on the courtyard side not great very small rooms,the beds are ok to sleep on thats about the only good thing.

Room Tip: Don't go the courtyard side.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

If you are struggling to sleep four people in a room, look no further than this hotel. The big comfy beds and soft carpet, huge bathroom and little fridge, were all we needed for a comfortable stay in the perfect location. It was nice and quiet although I expected it may not be, so the rooms are obviously very well insulated. The window didn't provide a view, but it was still nice to have something to open for a little fresh air. The air con worked perfectly for a nice comfy warm stay in the rather large superior room which was just what I was looking for. Great price, nice enough decor, a very busy place but for the price I was quite impressed with the room quality. Just across the road from Southern Cross station and close to Docklands, the location was perfect for my family's needs. Nothing to complain about from me! Great staff too. Really liked the central courtyard area as well, something different and a nice place to have some take away if you don't fancy going out to eat.

Room Tip: Not sure about the budget rooms but my superior room was excellent quality and great value. Overlook...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

The rooms are simple, but for the low rate and great location it is fine. If you want the Hilton or Marriot then you have to pay much more. I have been here since December 2011 for work and have gotten to know most of the staff. I have found them to be friendly to myself, but I will have to call out one person in particular has been excellent. Joe at reception is very personable and great to all guest. Hotels need more people like him.

Room Tip: When coming from the airport on the Skybus and arriving at Spencer Street Station, I only have to wa...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel via expedia, having checked the hotel Enterprize website, we thought the place looked impressive, stylish and modern. Unfortunately the website is not an accurate reflection, when we arrived we were greeted by old decore, dirty rugs and unfriendly staff.

Our room was out on the courtyard, which when arriving at night, looked more like the inside of Maze prison, the room itself was dark, damp and smelly.

We were reluctant to walk on the carpet in bare feet, it was so stained. Although the bed was clean and comfortable, that cannot be said for the rest of the room, the shower was dirty, dust and rust on the lights, items in the mini bar were out of date and the entire room including furniture required re-painting.

Despite having booked to stay for two nights, we only could bare to stay one, and managed to find another hotel in an nearby area. Having stayed here I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012 via mobile

2 people, 2 nights. Value for what you pay. Room size is good, along with layout. Close to everything in Melbourne. I presume West Wing is the newly refurbished area and looks much nicer. Would consider staying again for short trips.

• Stayed February 2012
Launceston, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I always stay at the Hotel Enterprize whilst in Melbourne and I thought it was about time I wrote a review!
I normally stay in the classic courtyard rooms but this time stayed in the 1 bedroom studio as there was not a lot of price difference between this and my usual room.
The room was spacious with a bedroom seperated by a glass wall. I liked that this had a seperate lounge area as I often find it annoying to sit in bed to watch T.V and it was much easier to store my luggage and my many purchases throughout the trip. The bathroom was a good size and the shower was great!
SInce I had had not stayed in a studio apartment before I was expecting a little extra to a normal room in the terms of facilities. I thought there would be a small stove as well as cutlery and plates. The only extra thing compared to a normal room was a microwave which I did not use.

The main reason I always stay here is because of the low rates and fantastic location. When coming from the airport on the Skybus and arriving at Spencer Street Station, I only have to walk 3 minutes down the road. Hotel Enterprize is also a 2 minute walk to the Flinders Street tram stop and 5 minutes to the Crown Casino and Exhibition Centre.

I have tried to find another hotel with similar rates and location but I always end up coming back here!

Room Tip: Try the newer classic courtyard rooms.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Great Southern Hotel? Share your experiences!