“horrendous experience after checkout” 1 of 5 stars
Review of City Edge Apartment Hotel East Melbourne - Albert

You added City Edge Apartment Hotel East Melbourne - Albert to your Saves list
City Edge Apartment Hotel East Melbourne - Albert
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   179 Powlett Street | East Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia   |
Ranked #72 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“horrendous experience after checkout”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Just a warning to all travellers. We stayed in one of City Edge's apartment motels for 2 nights and 3 days. Not satisfied with the facility (too compact, heater didn't work well for the winter) and the onsite parking (too compact, just 3 inches interval from other parked cars). Anyway, it compensates their cheap price. However, after 2 days from checkout, this apartment motel debited $100 from my bank account and phoned me after to inform me that such amount has been debited because after they checked the room after we left, the mirror got smashed. How? 2 days after we checked out...Ridiculous. The last thing I did before leaving the motel was to had a look at my self in front of the mirror, combed my hair for the last time and it was perfect. Or, is it just a business strategy? taking money from customers for nothing? pseudo-damage? I don't mind paying certain amounts if I trully incurred the damage. And the staff (James) sounded so rude and arrogant, so defensive and GULITY??? I shared this to some colleagues and friends and apparently a colleague of mine stated the same horrible experience with city edge apartment: debited certain amount from her bank account claiming for a damage which, apparently is not for real! A lesson to learn-- Go for an affordable but decent facility with honest management..

Room Tip: Choose other apartments/motels that are decent and honest, not City Edge!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Nerang, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

we had a good time and the accomodation was what we needed clean comfy bed ,the staff was friendly and helpful the young man in reception was very friendly our stay was good would recomend this hotel and we will be back

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

My husband and myself stayed in a one bed apartment in City Edge on Elizbeth and Abeckett for 3 weeks . Smaller than expected. bedroom is behind a sliding door in living room. Compact is the word. No wardrobe . 2 Lockers and storage in hall /kitchen area in the form of press which you have to clear first of the ironing board, dustpan and brush and iron. Bathroom small but functional with shower which has good water pressure. 'Servicing' is once per week so only 2 bath towels and one small hand towel per week plus tea towel in kitchen. 1st service consisted of sheets being left in living area which we could use ourselves. The toaster and kettle do not reach the sockets in the kitchen so you have to use socked near the floor in the hall area! The hoover, ironing board etc I placed under the sink in the bathroom. After 2 days we got the run of the place and managed to store the requirements somewhere! I found it strange that i needed to produce passports at reception on arrival and found one of the receptionists quite rude and pass remarkable . This lady was of indian decent i think and told me i looked unhappy and that 'Sir' did not seem to have patience and some other remarks which I found very annoying to listen to. Also when I went to reception on other occasions I found that this girl did not listen to what I was asking and generally I found her attitude off putting . Other members of staff were good. The location of these apartments is perfect with all amenities plus transport at the door practically. Finally I would say for the above reasons I would stay here again , it just takes a little while to get used to the quite confined space even in what is termed as the premium one bed apartment. ps night club acoss street so noisy at times.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Gold Coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I book an apartment for five adults back in February to travel during June. I saw the pictures on their website and thought it was amazing. When we got there around 9 o'clock at night we discovered we have to go across the park to get to our apartment with our bags. thankfully, James (the only employee who offered us good customer service) walked us through the park and gave us instructions. the apartment, and the whole building are really old, needing major work. One of the air cons didn't work at all and the room was freezing. the sofa bed we got was so old one could feel the springs. Just 1 pan in the kitchen, no pots or something too cook more than scrambled eggs. the apartment smelled damp and you could see the big stain on the carpet as if the apartment was flooded before. Spent the first night and went to speak to the manager next morning. She was really rude didn't try to help us out and told us that they couldn't so anything about the air con as they don't have any maintenance during the weekends so we would have to wait till tuesday as monday was a public holiday (we were checking out on monday)... she said she couldnt move us to a better palce as they were fully booked for the long weekend and in the end she said that thatwas what we've paid for... she didn't look at us... didn't seem concerned or worried about the status of the place or our complaints, she just didn't care at all!!!
the bathroom had mould in it, shower was small and uncomfortable... the blinds in the kitchen were full of dust and grease, the king bed was to singles put together (as normal) but nothing was holding them together, so as soon as you sat on the bed they started shifting apart from each other, blankets were stained and discoloured, they looked pretty old. the building was dirty and the laundry room was full of dust balls under the washing machines... Not happy at all... not up to standard... just plain bad.. and the service from Sue the manager was the worst ever... i work in hospitality and the service was unacceptable she shouldn't be there at all!!!.
The only upside of the whole experience with them was James in reception he was really concerned about our situation and tried to help us out... even though he couldn't do much. keep the good work James you will be a great manager one day.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

10 out of 10 for room 1001!

BEAUTIFUL view day and night. Faces the MCG with views of the park and Rod Laver Arena. Tram just outside the door, Bridge Road a 10-15 minute walk away and a train (Jolimont Station) opposite. Enough Restaurants/cafes to give variety and a grocer if you're desperate for nibblies.

Place was a little tired but would be easy to tidy up (new blankets in bedrooms, de-mould the bathroom and wipe away the cobwebs on the windows). Easy!

Love the convenience of an apartment and it worked out to be around $40 each per night for the four of us - perfect for a girls weekend!

Some points to note:
* Once you check in at Albert Street you need to walk/taxi about 5 blocks. Worth it tho!
* If you don't like a lot of noise at night, bring earplugs or stay in the room with the single beds (MCG, trains and trams and you can hear the lifts squeaky journey, particularly early in the morning as people leave for work).
* If someone is using the fan in the bathroom it turns on the fan into the other bathroom also. Can be annoying in the bedroom with an ensuite if it's left on.
* Pop on the heater to take the chill off the rooms when you first arrive.
* Blankets are available in the cupboards (bit worse for wear).
* Shower in ensuite is a little mouldy at the bottom - wouldn't take much to tidy it up.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

Average sort of stay. Good size accommodation - a whole apartment with a full kitchen rather than just a hotel room but quite old fashioned and needs an update. Was just about clean enough but not spotless. Beds were quite comfortable. Location and area was pretty good. Building is in nice enough in road opposite a park and it is about 20 min walk into town. There is also the bonus of free car parking. The apartments are good value for money when compared to other Melbourne accommodation, which is quite expensive.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I rang to book the first time two months in advance everything was confirmed. I forgot to ask them about a car park so I rang again a day later! THANK GOD I DID ...(this happened to be during the redo grand final) Coz apparently they LOST my booking. Got a call when I was driving from adel to melb "did u want a car park" WTH!! after parking in a spot for 2 days some rental took my park and city edge did nothing to help! But wait there's more! I wasn't even given a remote to access the garage!! And they wanted me to drive back there after my 8 hour car ride with 3 children under 8 to and get it ... THEY CAN GET [-]

• Stayed October 2010

Been to City Edge Apartment Hotel East Melbourne - Albert? Share your experiences!