“Rooms for Improvement” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Rooms for Improvement”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very close to the arenas so if proximity to those is a priority, this might be for you. However this place needs an upgrade ASAP. The front desk service, exterior facade and the cafe are the best things. The elevators, pool area, and rooms are old and a little scary. The room reminded me of my great grandmothers home. The rugs are in terrible condition and the bathrooms need renovations. My bed was two twins pushed together with the awkward hump in the middle. The internet was expensive and room service is from an outside restaurant. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
KFRANCIS1, Front Office Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thanks you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us. It was great to read your comments in regards to our location, the restaurant & the Front Desk service. However, it was dissapointing to read the other issues you have identified. While we believe some of the wording in your feedback is slightly over the top, we appretiate you bringing these matters to our attention. Our maintenace team are currently working on our bathrooms and we are seeing some great results. I apologise that your particular room obviously didn't meet your expectations. The restaurant does breakfast room service 7 days a week, however as you suggested dinner room service is currently outsourced. We hope to provide some dinner room service in the near future, but in the meantime our restaurant is open for dining in 7 days a week for breakfast, & Friday & Saturday nights for dinner. Once again, we hope to be open for dinner more frequently in the near future. In regards to Internet, yes there's a fee for having WiFi from the comfort of your room. We also currently have the option of free internet available at our Internet Kiosk located in the foyer.
We apologise you didn't enjoy certain aspects of your stay and appreciate your feedback.

Mantra on Jolimont

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed 1 night for business. Rooms are spacious and provide mini bar, foxtel and a large bathroom.
I was able to walk to Federation Square and the top of Southgate area.
Restaurant is only open Friday and Saturday nights. A "room service" is provided by external suppliers. If you want to eat out you will need to walk to Federation Square or taxi into town.
Very close to the MCG and Rod Laver Arena.
You need to pay for Internet service. Didn't bother so can't advise the cost.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
KFRANCIS1, Front Office Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay with us. I'm glad to read that the room & location of our property suited your needs. In regards to internet, as you mentioned there is a cost associated with WiFi in the hotel. However, there are a range of plans available available to suit your needs. The cost of this service varies depending on the data and time required. We also have an Internet Kiosk located in the hotel foyer, & this service is currently free for all guests to use.
Once again, thank you for your feedback as it's very much appreciated.

Tulua, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

It was nice of the stuff that let us check in at 9 am. The location is not bad. Took a less than 10 minutes to catch the monorail. The people in the front desk was very nice. However the first day we had a huge argument with the Internet service provider (azure) because the speed was extremely slow ( after paying $60 dollars for 5 days). They suggested to change rooms but since it was during the Melbourne cup week there was nothing available. ( if you rely on the internet for work I would consider twice to stay here). We requested a tax and we had to wait almost an hour and when I asked the staff they kept saying 10 more minutes, 10 more minutes we decided to walk at the end. breakfast is $20 dollars and it's not very good, buy your own cereal, fruit etc. .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks you for posting your comments in regards to your recent stay with us. I'm happy to read your comments in regards to the staff, and glad that we could assist you with an early check-in.
However, it's dissapointing to read you comments in regards to the WiFi. Thanks to your feedback, this issue was passed on to the Management of the WiFi supplier & the speed issue has since been rectified. I apologise for this inconcvenience. I also understand the inconvenience you had with taxis during your stay. Unfortunately this is not something we have control over & we do our best to ensure taxis arrive on time. We book all taxis online, therefore the job is sent to the taxi company immediately. Unfortunately Melbourne taxis can be very difficult to get during busy times,but we do all we can to ensure they arrive asap. It was also dissapointing to read your comments about the breakfast. We do also have an option for express breakfast,which includes two cold items for guests who only want a couple of items such as cereal and fruit. The cost for this is only $12.
Thanks again for your feedback. We appreciate the feedback we receive to assist us in improving and also to reward a team effort. We hope to see you back again in the future.

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Was in town for a concert at the rod laver arena which is a 10 min walk away as I had done a few months back. I received a room facing the street as requested on the top floor which was also pleasant. But my biggest problem with my stay this time round was the bed. I booked for a two night stay in a studio room but when i went to bed the first night i noticed it wasn't as comfortable as my previous king bed and I soon found out why, it was two king single beds pushed together and laid out with king sheets. As someone who moves around a bit when they sleep, every time i rolled to the middle of the bed it woke me up as that hard gap between the two beds was very noticeable. So i didn't sleep very well during my stay.
Expected a little bit more consideration in that area considering i was paying quite a bit per night to be there and was very surprised for that to be in a room on the top floor of a hotel.
Cleanliness was ok, room size was appropriate and the dinner i had on the first night with some friends was great. Big thanks to Jake who served us with a high level of professionalism

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
KFRANCIS1, Front Office Manager at Mantra on Jolimont, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback in regards to your recent stay with us.
It was dissapointing to read your comments in regards to the bed in your room. This particular bed is actually a King Zip bed, which can be made up as either a King size, or seperated to 2 single beds. These particular beds are commonly used in most hotels, to give more flexability in meeting the bedding requirments of guests. However, the bed should not be uncomfortable as you have mentioned, so it's likely there may be a problem with the zipper on that particular bed. I apologise that you had that experience & can assure you that this is thankfully not commen feedback we recieve in regards to our beds. If it's possible to contact the hotel to advise us which room you stayed in it would be greatly appreciated.
It as great to read your feedback in regards to Jake, and I will certainly pass these feedback on.
Thanks again for your feedback, we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel is a bit of a hike if you're relying on public transport.
I rang before driving down, and was told they have limited car parking available. What parking there is, costs $25 per night, and they wouldn't book a car park so there was no guarantee there would be a park when you arrive.

This made my plans far more painful and complicated than usual, as I was driving a significant distance, I did not want to arrive (late night) to be told there were no parks.
As such, I made my final arrival by public transport - the nearest train station is Jolimont which is a good 5 minute walk away.

As others have noted, the decor is on the older side - bit surprised they still claim 4 stars. Only one lift was working during my stay. Doors are accessed by the older style bilock key with large plastic keyring/tag.

My room faced the railway line, but there was very good noise isolation with the window shut. I actually really enjoyed being able to open the window, as it allowed copious amounts of fresh air in - something I miss in other hotels with sealed windows.

Would not recommend for anyone on public transport (and they don't make car use easy either) and it's perhaps only a really good choice for those attending events at the MCG or Tennis Centre (right next door).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. As you stated in your comments, unfortunately we do have limited on site parking. We do however help guests as much as possible with what we have, and offer alternative options in the immediate area when our car park is full. It's actually not very often that we have have to turn cars away, as we have access to a 2nd off site car park close by on Friday nights & right through the weekends when we're at our busiest. Even though it's rare that we do have to turn cars away, we can't guarantee or pre book parking due to the fact that it's difficult to predict how many cars will arrive on any given day. We also have cars coming & going throughout the day. Having said that, I understand your predicament as you were arriving late at night.
I apologise we only had 1 lift working during your stay. This obviously meant that all our guests had to be very patient on a busy weekend. The lift technicians were unable to fix this lift on Friday dispite trying for most of the day, so we were unfortunately operating with only 1 lift. This lift has since been repaired and we now how 2 fully functional lifts again.
It was dissapointing to read your comments about our proximity to public transport. You may not have been aware that there is a tram stop 4 min from the hotel, located on the corner of Jolimont Rd & Wellington Pde. Trams 48 & 75 both stop here & it's a very short tram ride to town. Alternatively, the free city circle tram is located only a 7 min walk from the hotel, or as you mentioned Jolimont train station is approx. 5 min walk.
As you mentioned in your feedback, the windows in our rooms can be opened & i'm glad you enjoyed this feature. We often get positive feedback from guests who enjoy this option, as it's not often available at other hotels as you have stated.
Thank you again for your feedback, it's very much appreciated. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was impressed by many aspects of this hotel. It is very close to the MCG and the tennis centre. My room was fairly spacious and I loved the bathroom. Unfortunately, the bed was much too hard for my liking and I got very little sleep. When I mentioned this to the front desk, they were quick to provide me with a doona to place on top of the mattress, which was helpful. The other downside is that there are no shops, pubs or takeaways nearby. I had to order meals from the outsourced room service and the food was very very ordinary.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your recent stay. We're happy that you were happy about many aspects of the hotel, but dissapointed to read about the bed being too hard for your liking. We apologise for this and I'm glad that our team were able to help you out.
In regards to the outsourced room service, I'm sorry to hear that this was below expectations and we will certainly be making them aware of this. The current situation of outsourced room service for dinner is due to a recent change of management in the restaurant. This may be temporary & we hope that sometime in the near future we will be able to cater for on site dinner room service. We do currently have on site breakfast room service available 7 days a week.
We thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay & hope to see you back when you're next in Melbourne.

gold coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is close to the MCG and Rod Laver arena which would be the only thing that may be of benefit. I am flabbergasted to read others found this old dated poor quality run down place with a good review. I have travelled extensively and this was simply a rip off, The furniture was scratched marked old and dated and looked like it was found on the side of the road.

The staff were the rudest I have ever experienced anywhere at nay hotel, and they were belligerent and lied about things then tried to cover their tracks. The rooms were very old and noisy with the trains waking you at some ungodly hour in the early hours of the mornings.

Grossly overpriced when you could stay at the Hilton and other properties where they leave this place for dead. Poor value for money, it was like a rabbit warren lurking you way through narrow halls to try and find your room, and there was certainly no assistance or guidance from the staff there

I would never stay here or recommend it to anyone

Room Tip: I would never stay here again under any circumstances as there are far better properties around the...