“Has it's problems” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection

Save Saved
You added The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   630 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia   |
Ranked #16 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Western Australia
“Has it's problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights a few weeks ago. I ordered a spa room, that had had a resent renovation. The room was clean and comfortable, but a little uninspiring. This hotel was not built for a person with disabilities, or for even those with luggage, very difficult to negotiate the stairs. The smell in the foyer is very overpowering and awful!

The staff although very polite were undertrained and inexperienced. The car was not brought up when ordered, the taxi did not arrive when promised and to stand in the foyer for 30 minutes trying to check out was highly irritating. There is not the possibility for express even though I paid in advance.

I was also disappointed in the breakfast bar. The cold buffet adequate and quite nice, the hot food I found inedible.

I found this hotel very expensive and could have got a special at the Park Hyatt for a similar amount, there is no comparison in the quality.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
ComoMel, General Manager at The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Marlzi
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am sincerely apologetic that we did not meet expectations; I do appreciate all you have made mention of and have shared your review with the team. I am sure it will serve as a reminder to us all and allow us to continue to improve our services to all our guests.

In relation to the stairs from the lobby, we do have a limited mobility lift to the side of the stairs to assist with luggage and also anyone who may require. I am sincerely sorry that this was not offered to help you.

I do hope we have are afforded the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

540 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Our suite at the Como was very large and overlooked a lovely little park. The location of the hotel is fantastic. And I'm sorry to say that's about the extent of the positives.
The lobby is hard to navigate with bags (stairs) and has an unpleasant odor from the water fountain. The construction in front of the hotel is a drag.
The service by the afternoon/evening staff was a bit of a mess. Checkin was efficient and friendly but then things went downhill. We asked how long it would take to get to a certain restaurant, and they nicely suggested they'd call us a taxi for the appointed time. But then they didn't call one for us. Not a big deal to walk to the nearby cab rank but wish they'd told us to do so before we waited for 10mins for a cab that was not coming.
We asked if someone could grab our laundry from the dryer while we were at dinner. We know this is not in the normal line of duty and were very appreciative when they said they would. When we got back 3hrs later the laundry was still in the dryer. Another request ignored. If you're not going to do something just say so. Strange to smile and say "no problem" and then not do it.
I will say that the two men on duty at 5:30am were great - efficient, helpful and responsive. They should be promoted to prime time.
Our TVs all went off at 3:15am for no reason, which was a particular drag ahead of our 5am wakeup.
The gym was small, smelly and filled with old rusty equipment. Very disappointing.
Wifi is $24 a day and calls to the States are almost $7/minute - what?!
We will not be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear eh555
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I sincerely apologise that it was not up to standard and that you experienced a number of issues during your time with us. It is certainly not the way that we would like to be remembered.

I have shared your review with the team to provide them with clear examples of how we have not succeeded in our delivery of service.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed in November and where disappointed with the general cleanliness of the room, service was ok but would look at the alternatives before staying again. Good location.close to shops and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear JERYLEV
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am so sorry that the cleanliness of your room was not up to standard. We do strive for a high standard of presentation and clearly on this occasion we missed the mark.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back and to restore your faith in The Como Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

While the staff and suites were cool and polished, the Como failed to engender that certain frisson that usually accompanies a 5-star hotel stay in Melbourne. What I liked: the top class full breakfast, which included a la carte and buffet selection; the intimate sun deck; the sincerely fine manners of the older gentleman who worked room service and breakfast service; the uncluttered, zen like design which gave my brain plenty of head space for the work I took with me. what I didn't like so much: the fawlty towers like episode of ordering a glass of wine to my room (credit to como that it was 'on the house' after a 45 min wait); the restaurant and bar being closed on a Sunday. given the choice, i'd rate the como somewhere between 'average' and 'very good'

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear PaulaHWithoutAnAlias
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Whilst I am pleased to read that there are certain areas of the hotel where we have made a positive impression on you, I am sincerely apologetic that this was not seamless throughout your stay. We do strive for a high standard and clearly on this occasion we have missed the mark.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Spent a day at Como to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Booked in an open plan suite but got an upgrade to 1 bedroom suite, which was lovely. To keep this short, here are a list of pros and cons.

Pros:
* Amazing location, next to restaurants, bars, shopping, transport
* Yummy breakfast. We had a buffet breakfast included in the package, and we could choose a lovely hot meal from the menu as well as a variety of cereals, juices, fruits, etc. at the buffet.
* Spa bath, that was great.
* Pool
* Awesome toiletries from Morrisey. Great quality and great smell.
* Friendly staff

Cons:
* Our bed was horrible, it was "king" made up of two singles which had different mattresses, one was hard and one was soft, one was like 10cm higher then the other. Ridiculous.
* room decor, is very spartan and very grey. Not very romantic. Feel like it needed art/colour
* Strong smell in the lobby from what seems like cleaning product. Just overpowering.
* No free parking ( valet parking is $35 per day), just booked Wilsons car park at Como center online and got a good discount.
* No free wifi
* Awful TV reception, seriously in the digital age this could have been fixed.

It was an enjoyable place to relax (got an 2pm check out as part of the package).

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a spa
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ComoMel, General Manager at The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Melb_Chick83
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

My mum and I stayed for 5 nights at the Como. When we arrived to check-in, we were told that the booked was a king bed and the man on the desk (Brady), immediately changed our room so we would have two single beds and we were upgraded to a beautiful suite.
We were delightfully surprised, because we did not complain about the king bed (and said we would stay in that room and weren't worried about the error), but Brady upgraded us on our own accord to make our stay more enjoyable.
The suite was beautiful and spacious. Each time the room was serviced it was done perfectly, and the suite was immaculate.
Without exception every staff member that we had contact with was courteous, friendly and extremely helpful, even when we just happened to be in the lift with us.
We were also very impressed with the significant assistance we received from Brady and other staff on the front desk, when my Mother needed to scan and then email documents to Brisbane for work. They were extremely helpful with the whole process and did not mind helping us at all. It made it easy for my mum to get the work done quickly and easily.
This is our second time staying at the Como and we will definitely stay again in this beautiful hotel. It's the only place we will stay in Melbourne!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lydia D
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am so thrilled to read you enjoyed your 5 nights with us and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to look after you and your mother.

Thank you for you kind words of praise for Brady and the team, I am very proud to work with each one of them and I am sure your review will serve as encouragement to them all.

We do hope we are able to welcome you back to The Como Melbourne in the not too distant future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

As my partner and I are waiting for our home to be completed in construction so its in a liveable stage we are often hotel hopping, we didnt look our finest checking into the 5 star facility (renovating gets rather messy)and also alot of our stuff is in storage. So as we get to the counter they ask for credit card and iD. As we dont use credit cards and I had. Left my debit card at home, the clerk was acting rather smug kind of in a you cannot afford this place way. My husband promptly threw him 500 cash as a bond, we werent entitlwd to mini bar because we paid cash bond even though when it came time to check out we had to wait for them to check the room and then go and get 500 as they didnr have it in the till. Nice form guys, your all looks but no show.
Overall beautiful rooms and features , bad attitude staff who think they are the finest....

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Zoe K
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I sincerely apologise that you felt mistreated during your stay with us. We certainly do not intend to offend anyone coming to stay with us and I cannot apologise enough if that is the way you were made to feel.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future to restore your faith in The Como Melbourne.

The Como Melbourne

Been to The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!