“GreatLocation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection

Save Saved
You added The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   630 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia   |
Ranked #16 of 170 hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“GreatLocation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Fantastic boutique hotel in the heart of Chapel Street. Staff are friendly and the rooms are great. Parking can be a problem, but overnight street parking is available.

One small grumble - why stairs between foyer and lifts?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
ComoMel, General Manager at The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments in relation to your location and we agree South Yarra is the perfect location for a Melbourne visit.

I apologise if our parking options were not explained fully to you. We do offer a full valet service at the hotel. There is in addition a secure car park next door and as you mention street parking is available.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

563 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The Como is a nice clean and funky modern small hotel right on Chapel St which makes it hugely convenient for anyone wanting to hit South Yarra's shops.
The service is quite good, the check in desk is very accommodating including offering a free bottle of champagne upon check-in when the suite wasn't quite ready.
The Penthouse 'Toorak Suite' is fairly enormous and definitely spacious spanning two levels. It has 3 bathrooms including a giant upper level spa, sauna and yoga space.
The bathrooms are a good size and the bed is a hard to medium softness. The Como isn't the most comfortable stay I've ever had and the Toorak Suite certainly has a feel of too much space and not sure what to do with it feel. It's nice to splash out and give it a try if you were a big group in Melbourne but it's probably not something I'd see much value in doing again.
I've stayed in cheaper suites and enjoyed freebies etc but not here. Some of the amenities were available for a charge like a toothbrush and toothpaste which is something other hotels provide in general rooms, when you're paying $800 a night you would think those things come for free. Also the amenities like the shower gels and moisturisers felt a bit cheap/synthetic when used. Breakfast is included for a discounted rate at the time of check in but you have to pay extra if you want espresso and not brewed coffee which seems a little absurd to me. The breakfast menu and the buffets are generally very good in terms of value and range on offer.
Otherwise though, this is a great little hotel in a fantastic spot for shopping, I would recommend it for staying but not the Penthouse unless you were a big group or really happy for a little extravagance without expecting too much.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ComoMel, General Manager at The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your comments in relation to your recent stay with us in our Penthouse suite.

The suite that you stayed in has recently gone through a major refurbishment as have all of our rooms.

I am reassured that should you choose to stay with us again that you will see a marked improvement. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

General Manager.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stayed at the Como Melbourne for a few nights, and found the hotel to be somewhat average. Here's a breakdown:

The good:
-It's located to a lot of good shopping on Toorak Road and Chapel Street.
-It's a few blocks away from the South Yarra train station and about a 30 minute walk away from the Central Business District.
-The room is pretty spacious.
-The staff was friendly and helpful.

The bad:
-The location of the hotel isn't great if you're looking to be close to the main attractions in Melbourne.
-There are trams that run outside the hotel so it can be a little noisy.
-I found the room to be a little dated and bit less maintained than what I would expect from a 5-star hotel.

Overall, I would choose a different hotel next time I'm in Melbourne.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest,

It is a pleasure to learn that you had such a wonderful experience with us during your recent visit to Melbourne.

We do pride ourselves on our friendly team here at Como. I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed our facilities - the spacious rooms and level of comfort.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

General Manager.
Bairnsdale, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed at The Como overnight for a business trip and found everything to be above average. On arrival I was warmly greeted wy reception staff,who kindly informed me I had been upgraded to an open plan suite. The room was fantastic couldnt fault it. Will definately be staying again in the future

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ComoMel, General Manager at The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to learn that you had such a wonderful experience with us during your recent business trip to Melbourne.

We do pride ourselves on our friendly team here at Como. I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed our facilities - and your upgrade to one of our spacious open plan suites.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I no longer like to stay in the city; tram noises, night club noises, people in your face and nowhere for friends to park if they pick you up. Picky? NOT ME!!! Ha ha , so I normally find a property near where I want to go, eat or shop. This trip was a little somber so I chose near the area of the function I was attending with the direct tram routes to town, shopping and easy walking distance to shops and recreation. South Yarra. Excellent, have stayed prior at other properties but thought I would give the Como a go as I have seen it on the Accor lists now. (The rates at the Como are not cheap so Pity Accor wasn’t allowing us to receive rates or F&B privs yet - that needs to change guys! Don’t give me options on the Accor website and an Accor keys if not offering me the membership rates and privileges because they are new properties . I expect to be able to use all properties for the price we pay annually!)
I chose a spa suit which I believe has been refurbished. (Check to see which rooms have before you book is my tip) If you can manage a bit more, this was almost embarrassingly large room and 2 or 3 could be quite comfortable here. . A separate cloakroom and study for the the ironing board etc... 2 closets where one fitted a suitcase on its built-in drawers (no sore backs) and they even had a suitcase rack in case! (the Grand missed that valuable point - one does NOT unpack and re pack on the floor and some of us repack as we use, so the bed isn’t an option chaps!) , The same delightfully Accor style beds, very nice decor and cleanliness perfect. I was delighted that the road noise wasn’t a problem also, as I faced Chapel St. The bathroom was very well designed; Shower screen leaked a tad but nothing a hand towel on the floor would not fix, the towel rack was near the shower (yay) and there was a nice little table with extra towels and accessories plus hair dryer (in the actual bathroom for a change!!), albeit the Bathroom "extras" package were at mini bar prices. Some of these things are found in 5 star hotels as standard complimentry items, but some were just convenience factor, as really, let’s be honest if you travel a lot your wet-pack would always have these things packed. Points for at least offering the forgetful ones an option :-). Had in room Breakie on my last lazy day in- house with a late checkout before flight, where it was a pleasure to read the paper on a table, have a spa and generally spend some down time in a comfortable space. The kitchen was fully equipped but I could not find the bin. Housekeeping took my “shopping bag” with rubbish out every day so no big deal. On that note, Housekeeping were terrific. Daily service and no lateness when I was annoyingly in for a long time .
This is also of the few hotels with plenty of room light... you need to bottle that and sell it to others when they refurb!!

Hotel is attached to the Como shopping Centre and Village Cinemas through the rear lift foyer doors - useful in the cold weather! The staff was very helpful with all queries, check-in and out. Bar was intimate and classy and didn’t feel like a hooker on my own :-). Btw, my friends who came to collect me raved on about the hand towels in the men’s loo in the foyer - didn’t try them but I believe you have new fans!!
One issue I feel is a safety tip - the steps down to lift foyer need a look ... err.... a ramp needs to be installed ?

Room Tip: calll/Email the hotel and ask anything you are doubful on - size, bath tub/shower/ orientaion - d...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate you taking the time to give us such in depth feedback in relation to your stay with us.
Your comments have been reviewed and I appreciate your frustration that as an Accor property we are currently unable to offer the rates applicable to loyalty card holders . We are in the process of integrating and I believe that we are currently on target to have all completed by the end of December.
It is a pleasure to hear that you appreciated a refurbished room and the design elements in-corporated into the bathroom in particular. Also great to hear that you appreciated our housekeeping service . We do aim to please.
We look forward to welcoming you back to South Yarra and The Como Melbourne which I agree is the perfect location for shopping and entertainment.

Best Wishes

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here one night to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. The room was a mystery room on WotIf so the price was quite good.
I was disappointed to not have a bath in the room.
The pool was quite good. The ladder however was very old & rickety and insufficient pool towels were available.

• Stayed November 2011
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed here for a romantic evening. Very trendy hotel bright and colourful. They upgraded us when we arrived :)) and they room was amazing had such great little bits and bobs. LOVED the rubber duckie theme with the bathroom!!! A1 service A1 customer care A1 style. WOULD return and have told all my travelling friends to check it out the next time they are in Melbourne

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!