“AWESOME!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection

Save Saved
You added The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   630 Chapel Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia   |
Ranked #16 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“AWESOME!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed here for a romantic evening. Very trendy hotel bright and colourful. They upgraded us when we arrived :)) and they room was amazing had such great little bits and bobs. LOVED the rubber duckie theme with the bathroom!!! A1 service A1 customer care A1 style. WOULD return and have told all my travelling friends to check it out the next time they are in Melbourne

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Like many of you out there, I spend a lot of time travelling between Sydney & Melbourne. After trying every hotel in town over the years, I've settled on the Como in Melbourne once and for all. This hotel punches well above its weight in a variety of categories. The rooms are ridiculously spacious and always irreproachable when it comes to cleanliness. The hotel is very quiet for the area which is fantastic and I'm yet to have spent time in a bad room in my last 10+ stays. The location is ideal and close to the city and the area (South Yarra) offers a great variety of restaurant....but what makes it for me is the people who (for once in this industry) are providing great customer service. Always helpful, fast & efficient, the way hotel stays should be.

I like the place so much that I've stayed there with my wife & daughter on our last trips to Melbourne. For those of you that also like a good deal, then the Como should provide you with great value for money.
To be honest, I shouldn't be telling you all of this as I don't want the secret to get out but really the service is exceptional and it would be extremely selfish of me not to share.

If like me you work for a corporation, get your travelling people to stay there. I'm sure some corporate deals can be struck.

Enjoy your future stays....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review. We really appreciate your in depth feedback in relation to your recent stay.

It is a pleasure to hear that you experienced great customer service - we strive to continually improve in this area.

We appreciate your continued loyalty to The Como Melbourne.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

A warm welcome, a prompt check in, a prompt check out and a lovely room in a lovely hotel in a great location!
The staff were not only helpful but cheerful and only to pleased to help in all enquiries.
The newly refurbished rooms are nicely set out and tastefully decorated.
It was the little things I liked - in the bathroom plenty of space for two people to get ready without bumping into each other. A little 3 layer shelf next to the basin for your toilet bag, clothes, straightener or any personal item - a simple addition but great! Plenty of hangers, comfortable bed and pillows. A great 'duck' box in the bathroom with spare toothbrush, deodorant etc a bit overpriced but great to have it there just in case : ) the location is excellent. Shops, cinema and restaurants at your doorstep but not noisy. Upon our check out we were offered to leave our car for as long as we wanted and to leave any bags, shopping etc as well and although there is a $35 charge for the overnight parking with no restriction the next day it was Ok. We will return!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a refurbished room
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback.

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your refurbished room and appreciated the design details.

It is also great to hear that you enjoyed services experienced elsewhere in the hotel.
Thank you once again for taking the time mention your stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

My partner and I live locally and stayed here for a night to get away. We had a very enjoyable, comfortable stay. The location was very convenient for dining out, shopping and cinemas, the staff were perfectly welcoming and helpful and our suite, which was luxurious but had clearly seen a bit of action, was clean and comfortable. We wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Como again.

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to learn that you had such a wonderful experience with us during your recent visit to Melbourne.

We do pride ourselves on our friendly team here at Como. I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed our facilities - the spacious rooms and level of comfort.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

First off the positives... great staff! Everyone friendly from check-in tothose you met in the hall ways. Always a smile and a 'good morning' or 'good afternoon'. The bed - great pillows and very comfortable. The airconditioning also worked well keeping the temperature at the desired level.

But now the negatives.

This is supposed to be a 5 star hotel... so imagine my surprise when the room came with no bath. A quick call to reception advised that 'rooms with bath cost an extra $60 a night'. Granted those were for a spa bath arrangement - but still, 5-star standard is for a full bathroom. bathroom amenities (soap/shampoo etc) were on the better side (but not flash).

The next major was the incidental cost they wanted for everything. I didn't bring a toothbrush, and again was surprised that none were provided. They had one available in room for purchase, but this was $7.50! A tube of toothpaste... $5.

A quick look at the room service menu advertised a steak (not cheap), but then sauces were listed separately for $8 each! There is a huge difference between providing reasonably priced services, and the line that is crossed when you feel you are being taken for a ride and treated with the slightest bit of contempt. We certainly didn't feel like a 'guest', more like a cash cow.

The room it self was huge, but awkwardly laid out. High ceilings yes, but lots of unused space (why not use some of that space for a bath in the bathroom?). The television was only meduim size and a good 5 metres from the bed. LEDs are pretty cheap these days. Time for an update. As another reviewer pointed out, doors are painfully thin - any conversation going on in the hall way and you'll hear it loud and clear.

The bathroom was filled with lots of large fluffy towels, but the room itself was a 'get-in-get-out' type of place that was bare and lacked any sort of comfort. The tap was awkwardly set too close to the basin and there was some black (mould?) substance running along the top of the shower cubical. Once again, strung around the shower nozzle was an advertisement for buying breakfast!

We got the deal through a discount booking engine, but we were still nudging the $200 a night mark. This represented about $50-60 off the standard advertised price. I also understand they are doing a refurbishment, floor-by-floor, but I don't think we got a new one. There were wear-and-tear marks on our walls, although the rest of the rooms was comfortable enough (although still very spartan like the bathroom).

Attention to detail? There were double signs on the glass walls leading to the roof-top garden saying stage 3 water restrictions meant water features have been turned off. I thought water restrictions ended almost a year ago in Victoria? There was no guide in the room (that we could find) outlining the services and facilities in the hotel (where to find the pool for example).

I understand they have now joined the Accor group, but where to place this hotel? It is certainly something less than Sofitel, and in parts less than some of the new Mercure branded hotels (compared to the Grand Mercure at Guangzhou airport this hotel was way behind).

Overall - the staff saved this hotel. But they're not with you when you discover the nasties such as $7.50 for a toothbrush, or $5 for toothpaste, or $8 for a sauce to go with your steak! They can't always save the day!

Perhaps other rooms (higher price categories) will give you some of the amenities you might come to expect from a 5 star hotel. We even didn't get a signature rubber ducky because, well, we didn't have a bath!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to relay such in depth feedback.
It is disappointing to learn that you had such a negative stay with us.
I apologise that you found your room to be below standard. We are in fact in the process of a multi-million dollar refurbishment which is due for completion in September. This however does not excuse the fact that you found visible signs of wear and tear in your room. Also please note our rubber duck is missing at the moment as we undertake our re-branding process.
I also apologise for the fact that you found room service options to be overpriced. This feedback will be discussed with our Food and Beverage Manager and we will conduct a review.
Once again we do appreciate any feedback which I can assure you is taken very seriously.
Please accept our apology.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Once again I found myself in Melbourne and after an early flight and back to back meetings all day, my thoughts turned to my taxi trip back to south yarra to the Como hotel. Greeted at the door then escorted to the front desk, the great staff were soon tending to my needs in terms of accomodation , meals and venues to visit.

Once through the door of my room, I found a well appointed area with a lounge, a work desk office space and the large bathroom with a wall to all shower room and alongside this a deep spa bath, I knew the tension of the trip and meetings were about to be erradicated. The King size bed was soft and inviting and with the numerous restaurants within the Como complex and a dozen of venues within 100 mtres either side of the hotel, choice becomes a challenge.

After a sound sleep on this bed of clouds I awoke rested and well prepared for the next day, the checkout was as smooth as the check in and the warm and friendly staff allows you to have that sanctury feeling everytime. Can't wait for my next trip to Victoria

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here twice in one month. Nice size rooms/suites, very helpful staff. Location is great and within walking distance to shops, restaurants and cinema. Wifi was free in the lobby but oddly there is no wifi available in the rooms yet. The larger suites are nicely decorated, but the television service is a bit limited. Refrigerator in the room. Would stay here again...

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
ComoMel, General Manager at The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments in relation to your stay.

We are currently in the process of a rooms refurbishment and as part of that we hope to upgrade our WIFI so that it is available in rooms.

We appreciate your continued loyalty to Como and look forward to welcoming you back.

Anne Marie Lennon.
General Manager.

Been to The Como Melbourne - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!