“Cheap but not so cheerful” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges on Swanston Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Rydges on Swanston Melbourne to your Saves list
Rydges on Swanston Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 Swanston Street | Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria 3053, Australia   |
Ranked #133 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Cheap but not so cheerful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

On arriving at the hotel having booked a deal on Wotif (listed as 4star) we were dismayed at the dirty reception area and were somewhat worried about whatelse was in store. At reception we were heartened by the welcome provided by staff and opted for a room upgrade at $20 per night for a superior room with a view of the park.
On entering the room I made straight for the bathroom - and horror of horrors the shower cubicle was really mouldy with black silicone seal and a wobbly glass surround, hair in all corners, then I took a look around the room - beside tables really grubby and something sticky on the Tv table that had been wiped but only once judging by the stretched sticky mark - so not very successfully. The carpets throughout the hotel corridors look as though they rarely experience hoovering and the word I would use to describe the cleaning generally is seedy. On going back to reception we were offered another room - no view but an improved bathroom - better but not super - so we asked what we would have got for our standard tariff - and inspected the room - really nasty.... so went back to the middle room. To be fair the staff were very embarrassed and helpful..and on asking the manager gave us an upgraded room with no extra charge... but it would be so simple to put right what is wrong with this hotel.... on the plus side the bed was comfortable and the linens good - towels changed when required etc but such a shame.... close to Lygon Street - try La Notte for breakfast...
The pool had been an attraction when booking - up on the roof and freezing cold .
Also our room / floor had an annoying noise coming from somewhere - every 10 minutes or so.. on checking out we heard another guest complain that her shower room was mouldy so it's a known problem....

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
TonyScrivener, General Manager at Rydges on Swanston Melbourne, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
Dear Notsopicky035,

Thankyou for your recent feedback regarding your stay at Rydges on Swanston. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your last stay.

I have addressed all your concerns directly with the housekeeping department in regards to the inroom to ensure that the standard of cleanliness is lifted across the board. In regards to the lobby, I will address this with the public area cleaning company we use to ensure that the first impression is maintained to the standard we pay for.

Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me

413 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

My partner and I stayed at Rydges in Swanston for 4 nights in April 2010.
I was so impressed with the hotel and its staff. The service we received was like no other, all of the staff went well out of their way to ensure that we were comfortable and well looked after for our entire trip.

The Queen spa suite we stayed in was delightful, it was so spacious and clean. The spa and the rain shower in our room were a real treat and we certainly enjoyed them.

We also enjoyed the quality of the food from the resturant in the hotel. Every night was tappas night for us! It was so tasty we were hooked!

We would highly reccomend this hotel to everyone, the service, location (we were only a few minutes walk away from the city and Lygon street ) and fantasic amenities will certainly see us become regular visitors at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
TonyScrivener, Manager at Rydges on Swanston Melbourne, responded to this review, May 9, 2010
Dear keatingskyrs,

Thank you for such glowing feedback regarding Rydges on Swanston. The Spa Suites are spacious and it is great to hear you enjoyed the new style of menu we have on offer.

I look forward to one day welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

tasmania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

I was really happy with my experience at this hotel. The team were attentive to all our needs as we held a conference there.

The rooms were comfortable and quiet and the location was perfect.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dear Olli 1884,

Thankyou for your recent feedback regarding Rydges on Swanston. It is great to hear that your conference was a success.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

Don't waste time filling in their questionaires.....Any problem will not be addressed online

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
TonyScrivener, General Manager at Rydges on Swanston Melbourne, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Dear Effedoff,

I apologise that we have not got back to you regarding feedback from your stay.

If you could please contact me direct on tony_scrivener@rydges.com, I will personally handle this feedback.

Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

We had a good experience at this hotel. The queen spa suite is great and if you can afford it I would choose to book that. Very convenient with the tram outside the front door and a short walk around the corner to Lygon Street for great restaurants. The staff were very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
TonyScrivener, General Manager at Rydges on Swanston Melbourne, responded to this review, March 17, 2010
Dear Perth Kerry,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at Rydges on Swanston.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed our spa suite and the facilities, staff and location were suited to your stay.

I look forward hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel again one day

bendigo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

I would like to thank and congratulate Rydges on Swanston for a wonderful stay. I saved up for a while to stay at this hotel, for my brief holiday by myself! my room was really well priced - I stayed in a king park view room. My initial impression when I arrived - outstanding. My room was lovely - luxurious. A huge tv, with foxtel. The bed was huge, a pillow top that was comfortable that I didnt want to leave it. All the bedding and towelling was plush, soft and comfotable. My room had an arm chair that I curled up in and read well into the evening. While I have read that people weremt happy with the bath rooms, I felt that they were in excellent condition, and had obviously been well looked after.

I found that the staff were all very helpful, pleasent and they gave me excellent service. Even booking with them on the phone was quick,easy and at no cost. There was a wait on cheaking out, but it was certainly not an unreasonable amount of time. There was an exceptional waitress in the bar who gave me excellent service, she was able to help me with directions and also told me of places to visit which helped me to plan out where I wanted to go. Breakfast in the morning was well laid out, and was not expensive at all. The hotel itself is in a great position, is very quiet, and very close to lygon street. Being by myself, I felt very safe in the hotel. The room was very secure as well. Parking onsite was brilliant.

All in all a pleasing, happy experience, and I will always go back there. Thank you for a great stay - I'll be back!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
TonyScrivener, General Manager at Rydges on Swanston Melbourne, responded to this review, March 14, 2010
Dear leslierossiter,

Thankyou for such a glowing review of the hotel. It is great to hear that the changes we are making to the business are being received in such a positive manner.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again one day soon.

Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

First impressions are great, lobby is modern and clean but it all ended there. First off the front desk manager was training someone and trying to give directions to someone else, we waited a while without any eye contact or smiles. Once checked in we made it up the dated and very slow elevator to room 336. My first impression was "what a dump" with tacky chipped furniture but this was a suprise birthday for my mother and I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable. I had a quick look around the room and then we headed out for a couple of hours. Once back in the room we noticed how filthy dirty the bathroom was, which include hair, mould, dirty fingerprints and looked to be coffee running down the wall! We had a quick shower and off we went again, only to return to make a cup of tea to find cups of left over coffee still in the cups. The kettle had lipstick marks on it and was still full of water from the people before us and of course we had no milk. I called reception...no answer, called housekeeping....no answer, called the restaurant.....no answer, after calling for over an hour we finally got some young Indian man who bought us up some milk, but waiting that long was unacceptable! I should also say that while booking this directly with the hotel I made sure they knew that it was a suprise 60th and as a priority member I thought the hotel would have made an effort, but the hotel did not do anything at all about it, even a nice card in the room would have been nice gesture from a 4.5 start hotel but nothing was mentioned. We had the hotel till 1pm late check out but we were gone by 10am as we couldn't stand to be in the room any longer. I will say that the beds were clean and comfortable but the size of the room was a matchbox with the bed being pushed right up against the wall and stuffy with very loud a/c, not to mention the dirty wondows that you couldn't see out of. Breakfast was wonderful as was the staff in the restaurant, so at least not all was lost! On check out I complained to the front desk manager Ms Fuller and she was appologetic and offered me a $20 discount, but really it doesn't come close to what I lost. There is nothing I hate more than feeling ripped off and this is how I felt staying at this so called 4.5 star hotel, a full refund or at least 50 % should have been offered!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Heidiandmike,

Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay and for the pictures you have posted.

I have addressed all your concerns with the housekeeping and reservations department to ensure that we maintain the highest cleanliness and levels of service.

Tony Scrivener

Been to Rydges on Swanston Melbourne? Share your experiences!