“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges on Swanston Melbourne

You added Rydges on Swanston Melbourne to your Saves list
Rydges on Swanston Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 Swanston Street | Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria 3053, Australia   |
Ranked #123 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Pros: Meh maybe location if you're attending any conference in Melb Uni or RMIT. Easy walk to CBD.
Cons: Worst customer service. Especially the tall dude at the reception.

Unless you're on a business trip that's covered by your company, stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
GSFMel, General Manager at Rydges on Swanston Melbourne, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Youngpil

I am so sorry to hear your stay was not a pleasant one. I will definitely talking to the gentleman on reception about his attitude.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Grant Fleet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Benalla Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed at the Rydges on Swanston with 4 work colleagues on Friday and Saturday last weekend and we all had a wonderful time.
Friendly and helpful Reception staff made checking-in and out quick and easy.
Rooms: We used a variety of rooms Deluxe Queen, Deluxe Queen Twin and Queen Spa, some refurbished and some un-refurbished, however, all rooms were modern, clean and comfortable. The curtains in one room were not completely attached at the top on one side, but housekeeping rectified this when the room was serviced the next day, without being asked.
The refurbished rooms were very nice with beautiful new bathrooms (no problems with leaking showers) and beds were very comfortable. The rooms were tastefully decorated with modern furnishings and everything was clean. The Queen Spa room was fabulous. The bathroom had a huge circular spa, hand-basin and separate shower with hand-held shower as well as a rain shower-head. There was a separate room for the toilet and second hand-basin.
Dinner: We all enjoyed dinner in Blues Restaurant on Friday night and the food and service was very good.
Breakfast: The buffet breakfast was great with plenty of variety.
Conference Facilities: We used the Queensberry Room which was perfect for our group. The room set-up was great, and the lunch and afternoon tea - excellent. The only problem was that the luncheon table was in the hallway outside our conference room, and although there was a sign indicating which event the food was for, delegates from a different event helped themselves to our lunch. Perhaps a more prominent sign would have helped; however, there was plenty of food.
A special thank-you to Anastasia Parashis for her assistance with organising this event.
Location: The hotel is well situated, close to Lygon Street and with regular trams into the City.
My colleagues and I all agree that we would happily stay here again, and would recommend it to our friends.
Hint: The rooms which look into the central courtyard are quieter than the ones which front Swanston Street.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner courtyard are quieter than those facing Swanston Street.
Dear Aussie56

Thank you for your great feedback & photos about the hotel. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I don't usually write negative reviews - there is always usually something good to say. But not this time - way too expensive for such small rooms and extremely noisy stay. The noise in the corridor morning and night was awful! The staff tried hard to do a good job! And for the most part they did their bit - poor facilities

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Karenm

I can only apologise for the mouse in your room. Like all hotels we have an active pest control program in place.I can assure you this type of incident has never occurred in the past at the hotel.

If there is anyway I can make this up to you please let me know. Hope to hear from you soon

Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Firstly the french guy on reception not nice,,,, secondly the shower has mould amongst all tiles... desperate need for renovation.... Customer service non existent. ah but lastly mouse in the room dead fresh not long after we were in there. offered to change room but we didnt as our last night in Melbourne so free breakfast was offered which was terrible... raw uncooked sausage served. Then on discharge was asked to pay for breakfast. Also trams that are at front door would need a myki card to use so read your brochures if you are a visitor to Melbourne .

Dear Karenm

Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Well located hotel, near to the eating precinct of Lygon Street, tram to the CBD at the front door, close to the University and only a short walk to the Victoria Markets. First impressions on appearance (hotel entry and lobby) were underwhelming and I was dismayed to find that I had to lug my heavy bag up five or six steps to a large lobby with the reception desk at the other end. (I have had spinal surgery). The staff member at the desk told me that I should have just left my bag on the street and come in to ask for assistance like other people did - not a practical option as bags would be well out of sight for minutes even if there was no "line-up" at reception. Later, a more helpful staff member gave me detailed and useful directions and a street map.

My initial impressions were quickly forgotten as my room was beautifully appointed with comfortable and tasteful furniture and a slick modern bathroom. There was a desk and lamp as well as a small dining table and a comfortable chair - all useful to me as a business traveller. Some funky touches (such as a set of dominoes and other small games, popcorn, aeroplane shaped chocolates) added interest. I didn't use the bath robe or the toiletries but they looked good. A larger waste bin would have been useful but I was happy to find a hook on the bathroom wall (to hang up my toiletries bag) and face washers provided. The king sized bed was a luxury and so were the king sized bath towels. The tv was easy to operate and so was the air con.

The sleep factor unfortunately was a problem. The check in staff had kindly upgraded me to a "park view" room on the third floor, which indeed did have a verdant leafy view towards the cbd. However the room was close to the clanking elevator and I heard the clunks and groans of every single trip up and down as I tried to sleep. I think it may be the only elevator so it is used a lot and also quite slow, so I additionally heard every conversation, giggle and cough of those waiting for the elevator or exiting it or using the stairs instead.

The other noise factor was the refrigerator, which was not enclosed in a cupboard. It was well stocked as a mini bar but I could not fit in my bottle of wine without unpacking and disassembling the whole thing.

Breakfast is served in the ground floor restaurant or via room service. I chose the restaurant where service was pleasant and efficient. Food on offer was nothing out of the ordinary but nonetheless fresh and adequate. The chef was quick to cook up some eggs how I like them, but the bacon was cold as it was simply put in an ordinary bowl on the servery. It was nice to find the morning newspaper available during breakfast.

Room Tip: Obviously stay away from the elevator, and probably also the Swanston Street side.
Dear Zappagirl

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at Rydges on Swanston, it is always nice to receive positive feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to welcome you back to Rydges on Swanston soon!

Kind Regards

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed in a refurbished room which is spacious and comfortable. As others have noted, the bathroom is not well designed and floods. I was dismayed by the view...nothing! More importantly there were no sheer curtains which made the room exposed and hot. The single lift is slow. There is an interesting collection of in room shopping including dominos, but there was no price list. The wine glasses were very dirty and dusty. My room, on the first floor and at the back was fairly quiet. The staff were pleasant and very knowledgable.

Dear Janeeh040

Thank you for your comments, in regards to the sheer curtain behind the black out blind there is a sheer pull down blind.

Thank you again for your thoughts, I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed here for three nights in an executive deluxe room. Beds were averagly comfortable but bathrooms are very small. Moved first night due to an off smell. Paint chipping in parts. Soft furnishings are a nice colour scheme Onsite parking $25 a night, room service up to 10pm which was quite good food. No views, our room overlooked a tin roof. Would stay here again but wouldnt pay more than AUD190 a night.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cardyff H

Thank you for your comments., I am sorry you had to be moved. I will take this issue up with my housekeeping department.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards

Grant Fleet

Been to Rydges on Swanston Melbourne? Share your experiences!