“Lift your game” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges on Swanston Melbourne

You added Rydges on Swanston Melbourne to your Saves list
Rydges on Swanston Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 Swanston Street | Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria 3053, Australia   |
Ranked #123 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
“Lift your game”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Now my third visit to Rydges on Swanson. Not a good experience any of those times.

Soiled sheets in my colleagues room on visit one.

Rude and unhelpful front desk staff on visit two and three.

On the upside a great wedding reception venue and great conference staff

I'm a regular Rydges guest all over the country - unfortunately this location is not up to the usual high standards of others

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife stayed here for 2 nights while on a business trip with a large group. I joined her on the second night. On arrival to the room it had a queen and single bed and it felt like a good sized room. My wife did mention she found a hair on the bed on her arrival. The bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was feeling very tired with with cracked tiles in the shower and a bit of mould. There were cigarette burns in the seat of the corner chair which added to the tired feel of the room. My wife did mention some of the other rooms had been upgraded. Overall it was fine. It was handy having the bar downstairs and the buffet breakfast was good with a nice view of the park across the street. There was a choice of street parking or on-site, just read the signs so you don't get booked! Location was good and easy to get to from the airport.

• Stayed May 2013
GSFMel, General Manager at Rydges on Swanston Melbourne, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear DanielS16

Thank you for your stay with us and feedback, yes your wife is correct to date 30% of the hotel rooms have been refurbished this includes all bathrooms. We look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges on Swanston when you next visit to Melbourne.

Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and was dubious considering some of the TA reviews. Had emailed the hotel twice to make room request based on tips left by other reviewers.... No reply from hotel and they didn't have the info when we arrived. Front desk person was under heaps of pressure when we arrived, and he did handle it well but there was quite a queue and then he also had to try and find us a room away from the garbage collection point and away from the lifts. Well he succeeded in the garbage collection, but we ended up next to the service lift. That lift groans and clangs and makes so much noise. Could not sleep after about 6 am due to the housekeeping staff coming and going, and breakfast room service. Our room had smoke smell which disturbed our first night sleep. They did put a very effective room air cleanser in which worked well for the next night. The rooms have been nicely refurbished but I found the beds hard, and the shower overflows into the bathroom area, which is very small especially for Australian standards. All staff we met were very friendly and accommodating. Room service breakfast was excellent except for the dirty salt and pepper shakers. Not sure I would stay again although location is close to Lygon Street.

Room Tip: Away from any lift or ongoing refurbishment works
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear AustraliaChris09

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate your comments & will definitely pass all your feedback onto my department heads. I hope we have to opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Melbourne.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My Husband & I booked our wedding at the Rydges on Swanston street on Friday 26th April 2013. All I can say is this hotel was over and beyond may other establishments we have been to. Dealing with Karinda the wedding Coordinator, is a dream. From the moment she took over from the past girl she was professional, welcoming and most of all very very accommodating to any of our requests. All the staff from the waitering staff, restaurant & bar staff, front of house along with Karinda are just amazing. Seriously if you are thinking of a wedding venue this is the place. Everyone raved about the delicious food, the service and the venue and location as a whole. My husband and I are a bit sad that we no longer get to deal with the Rydges but will certainly be visiting for lunch when we are in the city.
Thanks again to all the team at The Rydges Swanston Street you guys ROCK, great staff, great food, great relaxing place to be. Thanks for making our wedding day stress free and just wonderful Richie & Lisa

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AustraliaChris09

Colpetty, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip, and its a very nice business hotel. Not per say located in central Melbourne, but then again things are very easily accessible as the tram runs right in front of the hotel. Rooms are very cosy and clean. Food is your typical business hotel type of food. After all you don't come here to eat. Nothing big and nothing less. I guess you get what you pay for. However don't expect the staff to tell you about directions to places in Melbourne, cuz they couldn't find a building that is just located right in front of them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mahieash

Thank you for your comments, I will have a chat to the staff on the desk about directions. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back.

Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed one night, a Sunday night. The location of this hotel is excellent with the tram stop outside the door.The room was large although an older style but still very clean and a comfortable bed, Breakfast was a buffet and good but we weren't advised that the coffee my partner ordered would be charged for, separate fom the breakfast charge, (we had a package price including breakfast). When we checked in the room "swipe" wasn't working so the receptionist had to take us to our room, the "swipe" was fixed by the time we came back later that evening. Certainly would recommend this Hotel for value for money and good location to public transport. We were able to park out on the street with ease - being a Sunday night, but watch the meter parking time as it starts early in the morning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bern56

Thank you for your lovely feedback, It would be my pleasure to welcome you back.

Have a great day

Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed at this pathetic excuse for a "hotel" on 13th April 2013, for a friend's wedding.

Now, where do I start.

1. Coming from interstate, I made my booking and arranged for an early check-in the day of the wedding, via email. Lo and behold, when I arrive at 9am, surprise surprise, my room "wasn't ready". So I tottle off to the shops and get some food, assured the lame-brain concierge would call me when my room was ready. 2 Hours later I got tired of waiting, and sat in the lobby for 90 minutes for my room to become available. RYDGES SWANSTON - If you cannot accommodate requests like an early check-in, may I suggest that you not commit to them.

2. The area for the wedding ceremony was not delivered as promised; this meant the bridal party had to rearrange the area, so as to not upset the bride.

3. The hotel is falling to pieces. Take a look at the steps leading into the swimming pool, for example - whole tiles are missing, leaving sharp edges you could easily cut yourself on.

4. The bathrooms are awkward.

5. The noise from lifts and the corridors will you keep you up singing to Lionel Richie's 'All Night Long...'

Room Tip: You're better off in a tent!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Rydges on Swanston Melbourne? Share your experiences!