“Comfortable as expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges on Swanston Melbourne

You added Rydges on Swanston Melbourne to your Saves list
Rydges on Swanston Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 Swanston Street | Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria 3053, Australia   |
Ranked #121 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Victoria
“Comfortable as expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed one night, a Sunday night. The location of this hotel is excellent with the tram stop outside the door.The room was large although an older style but still very clean and a comfortable bed, Breakfast was a buffet and good but we weren't advised that the coffee my partner ordered would be charged for, separate fom the breakfast charge, (we had a package price including breakfast). When we checked in the room "swipe" wasn't working so the receptionist had to take us to our room, the "swipe" was fixed by the time we came back later that evening. Certainly would recommend this Hotel for value for money and good location to public transport. We were able to park out on the street with ease - being a Sunday night, but watch the meter parking time as it starts early in the morning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GSFMel, General Manager at Rydges on Swanston Melbourne, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Bern56

Thank you for your lovely feedback, It would be my pleasure to welcome you back.

Have a great day

Thanks

Grant Fleet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed at this pathetic excuse for a "hotel" on 13th April 2013, for a friend's wedding.

Now, where do I start.

1. Coming from interstate, I made my booking and arranged for an early check-in the day of the wedding, via email. Lo and behold, when I arrive at 9am, surprise surprise, my room "wasn't ready". So I tottle off to the shops and get some food, assured the lame-brain concierge would call me when my room was ready. 2 Hours later I got tired of waiting, and sat in the lobby for 90 minutes for my room to become available. RYDGES SWANSTON - If you cannot accommodate requests like an early check-in, may I suggest that you not commit to them.

2. The area for the wedding ceremony was not delivered as promised; this meant the bridal party had to rearrange the area, so as to not upset the bride.

3. The hotel is falling to pieces. Take a look at the steps leading into the swimming pool, for example - whole tiles are missing, leaving sharp edges you could easily cut yourself on.

4. The bathrooms are awkward.

5. The noise from lifts and the corridors will you keep you up singing to Lionel Richie's 'All Night Long...'

Room Tip: You're better off in a tent!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We booked in on a great Wotif special rate. The king room had a nice outlook over the park, resonably quite but the room while clean and comfortable, was tired and in need of a renovation.
friendly and helpful staff, breakfast was ok, but nothing special. Well located in Carlton, easy walk to Vic Market and restaurants

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sorrento, VIC, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My partner and I had the misfortune of having dinner at their "Blue Bar and Grill". The food was overpriced and poorly prepared. My partner had "Salt and Pepper Calamari" which would be better described as rubber. My safron battered flathead filets had bones and the quality wasn't up to nearby Lygon Street's fish shop standard. In fact, bypass this restaurant and go find something in Lygon Street!!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Booked the nite 2 weeks in advance and changed the nite one week before we went so3 weeks in advance when we arrived I asked were the pool was and. Was told that it was not open to us due to a wedding? And the duty manager who could hardly speak English was confused as why I needed to know when I booked that we could not use the facilities due to a wedding. Hello mate if some one is paying for some thing and its not available you are required to inform the person paying for it that's its not available. There was no support for the inconvenianc he did mention a free drink in the bar but we never got that. I was made to feel like a tight a@&#s due to the nite being won thru Coxys Big Break but mind you booked thru Ridges reservations.

• Stayed April 2013
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was placed at this hotel through work, and it met the immediate requirements of proximity to the CBD and the reason for my visit. I was able to check in early and on first inspection thought the room would be quite as it was off the street. My first night was disturbed but the second less so. The bathroom had damaged tiles and suspect grout but was otherwise functional. The bed was reasonably comfortable and as I was only in the room essentially to sleep it met the basic requirements. The wi-fi was acceptable and I didn't avail myself of the food or beverage facilities so cannot comment further.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husbands parents stayed here while visiting us in Melbourne. We met them and were with them when they checked in. There was no visible wheelchair access for my mother-in-law, so I went in and asked about how to get in. We were sent around the corner to enter through the underground car park...hardly ideal. We had to activate the gate to open with her wheelchair on the driveway and then boost in. Not an offer of help from any staff either. There's also only one lift. We barely fit in with all the luggage, and this was after waiting and waiting for this one lift to be free. The bathroom was completely impractical, impaired or not. The place is pretty run down and could do with a major spruce up. I was disappointed for them really, it wasn't up to scratch for such a central hotel and the lack of disabled facilities was quite surprising for a well known hotel chain.

They won't be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Rydges on Swanston Melbourne? Share your experiences!