“Another stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges on Swanston Melbourne

You added Rydges on Swanston Melbourne to your Saves list
Rydges on Swanston Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 Swanston Street | Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria 3053, Australia   |
Ranked #123 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Another stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Have been here twice in the last month or so. Check in is easy even though I couldn't upgrade for under $80 (and that being a member and ex platinum)

The king room had a view of the park next door. It's large with a comfy bed, large tv, desk and bathroom. Both papers arrived the next morning. Win!

The room was clean but you can see where they need to improve on some general maintenance of the property.

The rooftop pool and spa are wonderful on a sunny day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

In an attempt to plan a surprise weekend for my wife, I booked a ‘luxury queen spa’ suite at Rydges on Swanston.

I did some research and the images on the hotel website were great. The roof top pool was the deciding factor when I booked. The day of our stay was 34 degrees – perfect for an afternoon poolside.

However plans soured as soon as we arrived. I waited 20 minutes to check in and the gentleman on the desk was rude and clearly did not want to be there. Then imagine my wife’s surprise when she opened the door to our room only to find another young couple already had been checked into that room. My wife and the other couple were extremely embarrassed.

A young lady did attempt to remedy the mix up by finding us a new room – however we waited half an hour in the bar with a ‘free drink’ which we quickly discovered did not include the Cidar I ordered or the Vodka my wife ordered. A ‘free drink’ apparently only covers tap bear, wine or soft drink.

Once we finally got to our room the smell of smoke was evident, I ignored this as to not ruin our ‘perfect’ weekend. We quickly headed to the pool to enjoy our afternoon. The earlier inconveniences abruptly turned to sheer frustration when we were told the pool area would be closing as a wedding would be taking place.

The mistakes and lack of communication (particularly that the pool area was not available for use) is not acceptable. The features of the hotel were misrepresented.

In all my years of travel throughout Australia and Europe this is the first occasion I have felt compelled to express my thoughts in writing. And not surprisingly the letter I sent to the hotel with the above info did not even receive a response!!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mount Gambier, South Australia, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Dont know where to start really, we paid a premium price to stay here as was a busy weekend so cost us $585 for a king room, we phoned prior to confirm that we could guarantee a car park as no good staying anywhere if we can not park the car (chose this place in the end over another as they said yes they could guarantee a park). On arrival checked in and got parking details and then was informed nope no guarantee of a park only have I think it was 27 parking spaces for 107 rooms! we explained our phone call re parking and there response was the guy who took the booking has worked her for 5 years so sure he would have not said that, mmm what you calling us liars now!
We were then informed that the pool deck was closed that night for a private function from 5-7.30 pm we though ok well use it tommorrow night instead. We were also then informed that we may hear music till 11.30pm (we did not hear anything luckily).
Got take away coffees from the bar in the morning which were skulling temperature, barely warm.

We went out for the day as I was partaking in the Tough mudder which was a 20km obstical course. After a gruelling day returned to the room to find a note on the bed saying the pool deck was closed for a private function from 7pm to midnight and that we may also hear noise during this time.
Well yes I was kept up till midnight by the noise and then was so frustrated I struggled to get to sleep, then eventually did and was then woken by the shower all of a sudden dripping in the early hrs of the morning.
To top things off at 8am the was "doof doof" music coming from the function centre at 8am, yes on a Sunday morning this was!

When we checked out I politely gave the staff some feedback and they gace me a card to discuss it with the manager Greg. Eventually after getting onto Greg his response was that our website states we are a function centre ( it aslo stated getting away for a relaxing weekend on the website, nothing was relaxing about our stay!). Greg then replied he would look at our booking and phone me back in a few hrs, well a week had passed and no reply, I phoned back and he was not in... and well needs to say its now nearly another week later and still no reply!

The room we stayed in was a good size but lacked a few things no where to put a tolietry bag or any belongings beside on the toilet seat lid! Only 1 tiny rubbish bin in the bathroom and no way big enough for rubbish.
Nine of the staff were that friendly.

Don't stay here again even if they gave me a free nights accommodation.
My partner and I are both in the accommodation business and were not at all impressed!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The rooms smell bad and aren't properly serviced. They hold conferences and events on the upper floors with loud, bass music that reverberates through the hotel until the middle of the night, even during the week. It's like staying in a musty room under a night club.

I tried two different room-service breakfast options over my two mornings, and both were inedible. Weirdly, my toast turned up with a little jar of tomato sauce and a little jar of HP sauce instead of jam or other toast spreads.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Generally speaking the hotel was clean and tidy however the staff member at the main desk must have been having a bad day. Getting information out of her was like pulling teeth! Facilities acceptable, got a great deal through wotif.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I've stayed at a number of Rydges in Australia and his is by far the worst. We stayed in a spa suite, we had to change rooms because the first shower flooded. The rooms were dark and tired and had no view whatsoever. The rooms were incredibly overpriced. The elevator didn't work and it took forever for the staff to assist us. I don't feel bad for saying, don't bother! There's a thousand other hotels to stay in Melbourne. Don't just stay here for the location, your pockets will be sorry.

Room Tip: Don't bother going.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night on our way to The Great Ocean Road. The Hotel was in an excellent location, 1 street away from Lygon Street where we had a delightful meal. Rooms were severely outdated, bathroom had a hole in the wall that exposed the outside. Tram stop outside hotel door. Customer service was lovely, busy upon checkout due to Australian Open. Parking available for $15 a night, easy access however very limited parks and very tight.

We booked a city view room, however got a view of a back alley and the roof of the neighbouring warehouse. Was disappointed when we paid the extra as a Priority Guest to have this view.

Overall though for 1 night it was fine, a little over priced for the quality of room but would definitely recommend for location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rydges on Swanston Melbourne? Share your experiences!