“Good location and clean rooms.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges on Swanston Melbourne

You added Rydges on Swanston Melbourne to your Saves list
Rydges on Swanston Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 Swanston Street | Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria 3053, Australia   |
Ranked #123 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Good location and clean rooms.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Checking in was very easy. Room was very clean and I could not see any problem why this place gets a poor rating from some people. It's in a good locale, the bar and food are ok but being in this area there are better options.

An easy stay. Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2012
Mat_Downs, Director of Sales at Rydges on Swanston Melbourne, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Aknavi

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay. I am pleased you enjoyed the facilities and service we have on offer along with our location so close to Lygon Street with its wide range of dining options - a popular spot for locals and visitors alike.

We look forward to welcoming you back next visit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Ok ...so this is an incident that goes back to May of this year when I stayed at the Rydges Melbourne on Swanston Street as we were on our way to a wedding at Portsea. Anyway the stay was pleasant enough but what astounded me was the attitude of the bar staff when I asked for a welcoming drink! as we might all know when one is a Rydges Priority Guest one gets a voucher/ stored value thing on ones VIP card ...no big deal ...just a nice gesture! anyway as I went about getting my drink which was a Peroni on tap a common enough beer as it's produced under license in Melbourne anyway the young Barman balked at the request and saids I had to pay for it as it's :...."Really Expensive"!! so I siad how expensive? $5.40 or something was the reply!! and you can't use your welcoming drink thing for that !!Well ....gees $5.40 ? if Rydges Melbourne cannot afford to extend a welcome drink to their Priority Guests costing $5.40 then what sort of a welcome is this ? and are things really that tough or your Bar staff that under trained?!?! We also stay at the Rudges World Squrae in Sydney from time to time and we get two drinks -a beer, a vodka tonic -no problems!!on one card entry!! so one asks why one has to be subjected to a lecture of ...it's realllly expensive!!?!!
Anyway am airing my grievences as Rydges Melbourne did send me a Survey after our stay and despite I told them of what I said above, there was no response so I guess the best place is to do it here as paying guests we expect some service in return for our money and when asked if our stay was enjoyable wheter it's plus or minus management should also be professional enough to respond and try to rectify any gripes or complaints its clients have if it's a reasonable enough complaint!...that's why Trip Advisor is such a good thing to have!!
PS Apart form the Bar experience the Rooms are now looking like the old Victoria Hotel in Little Collins used to be !! perhaps it's a policy for Rydges to make the exterior slick and the interiors ...well...a walk down memory lane!!?!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Alan a,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments following your stay with us some months ago. It is disappointing to read we did not live up to your service expectations on this occasion with the provision of a complimentary house wine or beer to you upon arrival.

Again I apologise that the complimentary welcome drink provided to you was not satisfactory. We do endeavour to provide a range of guest services to our Priority Guest Reward program members - thank you for your additional feedback which does assist us when reviewing our offering to ensure we provide complimentary services that are providing real additional value to our member guests.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have stayed here a few times before, although we have always had the spa rooms before, but this time we decided not to stay the second night as our room was a major disappointment.
The staff at reception were not what you would expect to be there, neither of the girls were friendly, and looked bored.
The room we were in was not clean, the bathroom tiles looked mildewy and there were dirty marks on the back of the door and near the light switch in there. The chairs in the main room were shabby with holes in the upholstery, and every time anyone walked up the corridor you could hear them talking as they went past.
The staff at the bar and at breakfast were nice and friendly, and the hotel is in a good position, but on this occasion that was all that the hotel had going for it.
The car park is shocking, the spaces are so small that even with a small car you have trouble parking, and we watched as another guest had to literrally climb out of his car once parked.
On this experience we would not stay here again, unless there is some work done to the rooms. As I have said previously, the spa rooms we have stayed in before were quite nice, with beautiful bathrooms, but we have stayed in hotel around Australia, and in various rooms overseas, and this room was much too expensive for what was offered. I know that it is in a major city, but with the Rydges brand behind it, it definetly needs refurbishing in immediately.

Room Tip: Try for a spa room or go elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice for business this month. Dissapointed in the customer service. Both times I've arrived, there are two girls behind the desk that could not look more disinterested and hassled by the fact that someone is at the counter. They provide no details of the service at the hotel, they asked for my details, a credit card and gave me a room key. I found the lift myself, the breakfast room, the conference room - really poor from a city hotel.
Rooms are a decent size. The first time I stayed I had a great room with modern facilities and rain shower head. The second time it was a bit disappointing with an older bathroom. Obviously some rooms have been renovated.
Overall, I stay here for business at no expense to me. The hotel has decent rooms and if you don't mind bad customer service with disinterested staff by all means stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing swanston street as they are newer with better facilities
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Have stayed at Rydges a few times over the last few years... whilst the public areas are kept up to date the last room I stayed in was a little tired and shabby - damage to the carpet, dirty air vent, shower screen jamed, towel railings coming away from the wall, old iron and shabby ironing board, noisy air conditioning unit, etc. Bed was comfortable and the food in the restaurant was very good!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Room was a bit dark to my liking but other than that, bed is great, room is quiet, shower is really good; also enjoyed the breakfast and location is OK (10 minutes walk to the tram and all the shops).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mat_Downs, Director of Sales at Rydges on Swanston Melbourne, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Renaud M

Thank you for your stay with us and feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges on Swanston when you next visit to Melbourne
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Very spacious rooms, quiet, and very pleasant location absolute value for money with easy access to the city.
Nice to be able to have a decent bar and food within the hotel, breakfast was terrific.

The only slight was the staff did not supply the bottle of welcoming bottle of wine , but hey no drama, they where all very nice and very helpful. Myself and my wife enjoyed our stay here

Room Tip: Choose one of the back rooms if possible just to keep away from the bell of the trams
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Stephen B

Thank you for your feedback, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, despite a slight error with your wine delivery which I hope was quickly rectified during your stay.

We hope to have to opportunity to welcome you and your wife back to Rydges on Swanston soon

Been to Rydges on Swanston Melbourne? Share your experiences!