“Good barebones accommodation. Convenient local.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quest Southbank

You added Quest Southbank to your Saves list
Quest Southbank
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Kavanagh Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia   |
Ranked #91 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good barebones accommodation. Convenient local.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Clean, convenient and roomy. For anyone wanting or needing amenities typical of a full service hotel, this is likely to fall short. But this serviced apartment complex was adequate for a week at work whereby I hardly spent any time in the room. I think the internet charge was pricey $14 a day, but no other complaints. I'd stay here again, but not if I stated over a weekend (whereby I'd like some amenities).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Jeremy L, General Manager at Quest Southbank, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Hi Tony,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Great to read that you found the apartment to be convenient, spacious and importantly clean.

Hopefully we will see you back again for another stay in the future.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

My partner and I; plus two friends stayed here for our annual trip away. We have previously visited Melbourne with our small group before; and Quest's 2 bedroom apartment was leaps and bounds better than anything we have previously experienced.

Receptionist was lovely, handled a flood of people all at once really well. They still use a proper key system for the rooms which is a bit dated but still fine.

The apartment was so spacious - which needless to say for the price and location of it was a very welcome surprise. It was a bit odd that the ensuit was in the room with the two single beds - but this was fine by us as the two friends which travel with us often miss out on having an ensuit.

Location - amazing. While here we walked to Flinders Station, Swanston Street, Lygon Street, Crown Casino (probably a few too many times), Southbank DFOs plus there is an IGA less than one minute away.

The only thing that prevented this stay from being perfect was the house keeping. When we first checked in there was left over food from previous guests in the cupboards; probably from a hens party as we found all writing about them in the compendium along with a few other unpleasant things. Plus bits and pieces of rubbish like bottle tops around the place - but the important areas like bathroom and beds were fine. The daily service was not done daily; We received a note that service would not be done on the cup day which is fair enough, however after having not received a service on the other days made it hard;especially seeing as when it was done it was a to a fairly unpredictable standard. However we made the most of it and washed our own towels as needed and bagged up our rubbish ourselves and eventually it was collected.

Overall if you are planning any longer term stay, with friends or with family definitely give these guys a try. The housekeeping problems were totally forgivable and the great location with the room set up is just too good to pass up!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Rhyanna,

I am glad to hear that you loved the spaciousness and the location. I am not happy to hear that the housekeeping was below standard. Please accept my apologies that the initial and daily servicing did not meet either you expectations nor our usual standards.

We have brought on a number of new staff recently so hopefully as they become more experienced this situation will not happen again.

Sincere regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Staff was friendly, and location is good. Everything else is absolutely mediocre.

Room had a musty smell and was very average. Several of the channels didn't work on the TV.

Cleanliness? Not so much. There was a hair in the bathtub on the first day - definitely not mine. Their idea of servicing the apartments basically just means coming in and doing a lousy job at making the bed.

Location was fantastic, and if you don't plan on spending too much time in the room then the price might be right. If you like amenities and luxury, this place is not for you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jeremy L, General Manager at Quest Southbank, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Bean_Burrito,

I am very sorry to hear that your experience with our housekeeping was mediocre at best by the sounds of it. I will definitely try to contact you directly so that I can gave our Housekeeping staff detailed feedback on exactly what is was that you feel was not up to standard.

I am reassured that you mention that our staff were friendly and location was fantastic!

Hopefully if you make the long journey across from USA again, we may get the chance to redeem our housekeeping efforts!

Sincere regards,
Chennai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

a well planned,
well maintained,
well prepared guest house.
The Hotel is easily approachable.
the reception personnel are good, helping, energetic.
registering work done fast.
rooms are relaxing.
walkable distance to Flinders Station

suggest-- not to use WIFI in the Hotel.
buy a Telestra Card for AUD2 and topup for AUD15. this gives a weeks connectivity with 30GB down load.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Chinnasamianbumalar,

Thank you for writing such a positive review! It is great to read so many positive reviews about our staff and their customer service!

Hopefully we get to welcome you back again soon.

Warm regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed here for a week while doing business in the wonderful city of Melbourne. I would not stay again and instead, will choose to pay the extra fee for a true hotel with amenities. The staff was pleasant and friendly and the bedrooms quiet and comfortable. But I must note several concerns that made my stay less than ideal: 1) the shower floods the bathroom floor every morning. It is only a partial shower door and the shower heads sprays water everywhere. I had to request many extra towels every day. I elevated my concerns to the front desk about the shower door being inadequate and the floor flooding. They said not to worry, "that is why there is a drain in the center of the floor". 2) after a 28 hour flight from the states, I hoped our room would be ready upon arrival. It was 1:00 pm and it was not, but the staff was nice enough to show us to the gym showers and stow our bags, not ideal but accommodating. 3) The apartment itself had a terrible, musty odor. This likely emanated from the stained and worn carpet throughout. Frankly, I was reluctant to walk around the apartment without my socks for fear of what might be lurking in the carpet.
Overall, I'd say price was fair.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Maxwellpants,

We appreciate all feedback, as we do strive to continually improve our product and services. I do apologise that you feel your stay was less than ideal. We do stream clean our carpets regularly - as we have the equipment and trained staff internally - so our carpets are normally in very good condition, I will try to contact you directly to find out which apartment you stayed in so we can action this ASAP.

It is good to hear that even though you arrived before our stated check-in time of 2pm, that the staff were able to suggest that you could use the gym showers to freshen up and we could store your luggage.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again one day if you make the long trip over from the USA!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Four of us shared a 2 bedroom apartment, location was good, beds comfortable, apartment was quiet, bathroom clean, reception staff helpful, good security. Not the most luxurious, few stains on the carpet & bed cover, but a good place to stay if you are planning to be out and about during your visit.

Note, in the 2 bed apartments only 1 bedroom has an ensuite, the other bedroom has to use a bathroom which is on the other side of the kitchen.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Tracy & Paul,

Thank you for posting your review and I am glad to hear you found our apartments to be comfortable, quiet and clean. You are correct that all of our 2 Bedroom apartments have only one ensuite, but they all do have a proper second bathroom.

Hopefully we see you again in the future when you need an apartment in a great location!

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My parents, husband and I stayed one night in a 2 bedroom apartment for an event in the city. The location was quite handy, but a couple of blocks back from the river. Took about 5-10 minutes to walk to the Southgate complex. We were going to take the train, as it would be a short walk from Flinders Street Station, but ended up driving. Paid an extra $20 for car parking at the building. We did get lost trying to get back into reception as one of the doors didn't seem to be working.

The apartment was nice at first glance, but was starting to look a little shabby on closer inspection. One of the bedrooms had a balcony with nice views over the Botanic Gardens. We thought it was a shame they hadn't made the balcony a communal one off the living area. The two bathrooms were a good size, but the shower had very poor pressure. Having said that, my husband said his was ok, so it could have just been that both showers were being used at the same time. The bed was comfy enough and I had a decent sleep.

All staff that we encountered were friendly and helpful. And it's always handy having 24/7 reception. There was no problem leaving our car for a couple of hours after we checked out to have some brekky and a wander around Southbank.

I'm not sure how much it was, as it was a gift from my parents, but I suspect it was expensive for what it was.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Jeremy L, General Manager at Quest Southbank, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear zanzibar138,

Thank you for posting a review - we like to hear all feedback so that we can strive to continually improve our property and service. I am sad that you feel your particular apartment was getting a little shabby. Having said that, during the past 14 months we have refurbished over 20% of the apartments and we will be continuing this plan into the future. We also feel our prices are reflective of the size, layout and location of our apartments, with all of our 2 Bedroom apartments having 2 Bathrooms and almost all having a balcony.

We hope that you and your parents will come and stay again in the future!

Kind regards,

Been to Quest Southbank? Share your experiences!