“Convenient and well priced” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra Southbank Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Mantra Southbank Melbourne to your Saves list
Mantra Southbank Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   31 City Road Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Ranked #75 of 170 hotels in Melbourne
Brisvegas
“Convenient and well priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Our early check-in request was met which was very much appreciated arriving in the morning! Very convenient being on City Road and right across from Southbank and then in to the CBD. Room service food was quite average but this was the only downfall. Couch position to the TV wasn't the greatest either (quite small and close together) but for a 1 bedroom apartment we couldn't complain and there was ample room on entry and to sit around the table.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

This was our first time staying at a Mantra. We loved having the separate living area with the sofa bed and although we didn't use the kitchen it would be handy for a longer stay. The breakfast was very, very nice with a few touches we haven't seen at other breakfasts. Good location at Southbank . Would definitely stay with them again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed 1 night to attend a concert at Etihad stadium. Its located a bit of a walk from Eithad but we didn't mind as got a great deal here. Was also pleasently surprised that the hotel is actually an apartment hotel. Very little street noise and good nights sleep. We had dinner in the restaurant and although there wasn't much on the menu that was listed Gluten free, the staff were happy to chat with the chef and come up with an alternative for me.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at the Mantra over a Saturday evening. I didn't realise that this coincided with White Night, so the hotel was very busy. Nonetheless, the staff were excellent and processed everyone with little delay.

The hotel also put on a complimentary continental breakfast which was most welcomed.

The room was great and in fact it was a one bedroom apartment. If I was to stay in mlb for a few days, I would book into this Mantra as it has good cooking facilities. That said, it is a very short stroll to some of the best restaurants mlb has to offer.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the lifts.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed 3 nights recently at the Mantra in a one bedroom apartment. The Mantra is in a great location, close Southbank, Crown and city centre. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. The room was suitable for our needs and clean, found the lounge room couch a little uncomfortable, but we didn't spend much time in the room anyways. We ended up with a room with a disabled bathroom, which didn't suit us and was annoying to have no vanity space and water all over the bathroom floor. We were on level 6 and were able to hear the road noises like we were on the same level, which at times during the time was annoying, not sure if higher up it was quieter. Didn't eat at the restaurant, had one drink the bar, bar staff very friendly. Overall, great city stay. Would stay again.

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

The location of this hotel was great. We were in Melbourne for a concert at AAMI and it was an easy walk to the stadium and back. Also the hotel is well appointed for Flinders Street Station, the Southbank and the CBD.

We stayed in a one bedroom apartment on level 7. We didn't have much outside noise in the room and slept well. The apartment was well set out and was clean and tidy. The bathroom contained a walk in shower rather than over the bed. The beds were comfortable; air con worked a treat and the general facilities of the room were excellent.

All in all, I would be very happy to stay here again and I would recommend the apartments.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed here for a work trip last week. I have never stayed here before. I checked in only to find that the restaurant and kitchen were closed for room service and dining. I arrived on an early flight, very stressful business meetings, the usual debacle of never being able to get a cab in Melbourne and walked 1.4 kms in heels, with my suitcase to the Mantra! The last thing I wanted to do was leave the hotel and forage for food... I asked the hotel why we weren't advised of this when we booked - paying full price... which I assume would include room service. But no, we were not informed when we booked. Why then no discount as services are not available?? I was told that they would investigate and let me know.

When I asked for some help of where I could get dinner from, I was given a half-hearted answer; "there's places around here you can walk to"... OK? where? "there's a few". Anyway, I asked if Melbourne had a MENULOG or EAT NOW app for takeaway delivery. No one at reception knew what I was talking about.(I did log into the App and managed to get dinner delivered to my room).

The reception staff rang me to explain that the reason for the closure was unforeseen and had happened the THAT morning because of a "smell" in the restaurant and some pipes in the kitchen needed to be checked so they needed to close the kitchen to check the plumbing.

So why then, were there painters and electricians in the restaurant laying down painting tarps. It was an obvious re-furb. Knowing that full food services were not available, they should have given guests the choice if they wanted to book there. The services were not available, we paid full price, and basically, I was lied to.

Room Tip: The traffic noise for rooms facing/backing onto City Road is UNBEARABLE... unless you want to wake u...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GMMantraSouthbank, General Manager at Mantra Southbank Melbourne, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thnk you for your feedback following your stay with us in February.

I would like to apologise about the inconvenience caused due to the restaurant being closed due to major works following a flooding incident that was totally unforseen and required the closure of the restaurant for recitification works.

I have sent you a private message with my contact details and hope that we can get the opportunity to invite you back to enjoy the hotel and the restaurant as you had intended on this occassion.

Kind Regards

Aaron Bond

Been to Mantra Southbank Melbourne? Share your experiences!