“Indulgence Package?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Melbourne

You added The Westin Melbourne to your Saves list
The Westin Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Sense of Summer from $285
Ranked #19 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth Western Australia
“Indulgence Package?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

I actually feel a little bad to be writing what appears to be the first negative review of this hotel, its not really even a negative review of the hotel but more of the package we had booked. My partner and I have just come back from a long weekend in Melbourne and spoiling ourselves with the Indulgence Package which The Westin have on offer for a few months. Having stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels around the world we decided to give The Westin a try, mainly for its location (which is absolutely perfect), its beautiful rooms and considering that pretty much all of the mining executives I have ever worked for in Perth, will ONLY stay at The Westin in Melbourne and Sydney on their interstate travels, I had heard nothing but fantastic comments so we decided to give it a go. We completely splashed out, spoilt ourselves and booked a Studio Spa Room at a cost of $720 per night (with this particular package). This consisted of late check out, sparkling wine and strawberries on arrival and a breakfast in your room each day. Maybe our expections were a little too high! On arriving at the hotel in a taxi, there was absolutely no one to greet us or help us with our luggage, even the taxi driver commented that in all his years of taking tourists to The Westin he had never seen this. A staff member actually walked past the main doors and ignored us, the comments from the Taxi driver "nice to see someone is rusing out to help you". This by no means put us off our trip, we didnt care, we're fit and healthy we can carry our own bags and suitcases, we were in Melbourne for a special weekend and it was after midnight when we arrived. We got to reception...no-one there. Finally a very nice lady did come out to check us in, she handed me a handwritten envelope which looked like a 5 year old had scribbled my name across the front (presentation does matter) handed us our key cards and left us in reception. We were'nt even told where the lifts were. Once again, not a big issue, we have eyes we can find the lifts, it was late, we were tired, we just wanted to get to our room and begin our mini luxury break. On arriving in our room which was absolutely incredible (I had requested the same studio spa room that they advertised on their website) with views of the cathedral and Flinders etc, it really was spot on, our sparkling wine (Chandon) was chilling nicely and strawberries ready to munch on. From thereon in, unfortunately for us the hotel did not deliver. Our breakfast on Saturday morning which was delivered to our room was incredibly bland ( I would also like to point out that we didnt get a choice with breakfast) it was a set breakfast which I wasnt aware of, I obviously missed that point when researching the package and hotel. The breakfast consisted of 2 cold croissants, they hadnt even warmed them through, 2 tiny stale bagels, 2 tiny pieces of cold frittata, probably about the same size as the palm of my hand, a tiny selection of fresh fruit (adequate for one person), a small dish of salmon, another with capers and another with sour cream and two very large glasses of what appeared to taste like orange juice (cling wrap still left on the top). . No butter, no jam, no forks to eat the fruit with and no tea or coffee (thats extra) ! We ate the frittata and then went out for breakfast. The following morning we called for our breakfast hoping we would have a different selection of goodies, but alas we were told (using our speed service button on our phone) that we were only entitled to one complimentary breakfast. The lady then put my partner on hold, apologised and said "oh sorry you do get breakfast again, its part of the Indulgence Package" - PHEW) ! 45 mins or so later, our breakfast finally arrived. This time Frittata was warm, croissants still stone cold, no jam, no butter but we did have different fruit this time, we had a medium sized bowl of natural yoghurt and another medium sized bowl of strawberries and blueberries....but no spoons or bowls to eat it from and a very colourful looking drink, I haven't a clue what it was but it resembled a balinese mocktail, it didnt look very appetizing and I gave mine a miss. Once again we nibbled on the stale bagel and cold croissant and went out for what we perceived to be a more indulgent breakfast for us of eggs, bacon, toast, and freshly ground coffee. Saturday night we decided to try the spa in our huge, stunning bathroom, I looked everywhere for the bath salts or bath oil, its not quite the same having a spa without these, I thought that would have been a nice touch to add as part of the indulgence package, they were not to be found. Sunday morning, our last day, we decided to can the complimentary breakfast as it was just too disappointing and order ourselves the Australian Breakfast from room service. We ordered 2 black coffees, 2 Australian breakfasts (which come with sour dough toast), scrambled eggs for one of us and fried for the other. Orange juice and a grapefruit juice. We got 2 white coffees, no sour dough with one of the breakfasts and poached eggs instead of fried. I also got my grapefruit juice but once again it resembled another Balinese mocktail with a thick, pink gluggy layer on top which I think from smelling it was probably water melon, Im not sure, nevetheless it wasnt what was ordered. We sat in our heavenly bed with heavy hearts to be honest, moreso as the breakfasts we had ordered from room service on the last day cost us an additional $96, I will point out that my partner complained and we did get another breakfast delivered this time with the sour dough toast and Im still awaiting my final bill to see if we get charged for this also! We really did have 3 disasterous breakfasts. The service was appalling. In retrospect, if we had just booked ourselves a City View Room and had not booked any special package, this really would not have bothered us as we would have gone out for breakfast each morning. Everything else about the hotel was first class. The hotel is just beautiful, the Martini Bar fantastic and we did have lunch booked at Allegra Restaurant for the Sunday but we cancelled it, we were just too scared to experience any more service disasters on what was otherwise a fantasitc weekend and we wanted our last day in wonderful Melbourne to be special. This was my treat to my partner to whisk him away for a magical weekend of pampering and indulgence and at a cost of $720 per night I was expecting something a little more special than what (to us) was a very bland and average breakfast (it was nothing short of being ripped off). Whoever devised this package is either single or has never actually experienced the package for themselves to understand what couples perceive as "Indulgence". It was so "ordinary" and other than having strawberries and sparkling wine on arrival there was nothing else special about the package at all. Im back at work today feeling slightly let down. I had left a handwritten letter with my key cards, to the Manager, explaining all of the above but alas so far I have heard nothing back. Im not expecting any kind of freebie, or really even an explanation from the hotel, everyones idea of service and standards are so different and in the hospitality industry I know that it is impossible to please everyone but I truely feel that whoever came up with the idea of The Westin's Indulgence Package have rocks in their head, it was cold, uninviting, bland and boring. We recently stayed at a 4.5 star hotel in Bali (I know you cannot compare) however it was the "little touches" at this hotel that made our stay so incredibly special. Our complimentary free tea and coffee, our selection of CD's and DVDs in our room, a complimentary CD from the hotel with the most sensual amazing music, espresso machine in our room, a bowl of fresh fruit, a little chocolate or cookie left on our pillows each evening, hand made soaps in our bathroom, a small tub of bath salts filled up each day to have with our spa or bath oil, all those little touches are indulgent (and cost us $300 per night less). Would be go to the Westin again, yes we would, but we would only book a city view room at a fraction of the cost of a spa studio room and that would be about it. I would prefer (from what we experienced) to go out and eat and get much more value for money from any of the fabulous cafes/bars situated almost everywhere in the CBD. I would recommend this hotel to anyone but I most definately would not recommend the indulgence package, its simply not worth it. There is nothing indulgent about it, the only indulgent part for us was our beautiful room and how much it cost !!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
WestinMel, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, June 30, 2010
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review, highlighting a balance between both the inspiring elements of your stay and other aspects that did not make yourself and your partner feel special. We regret that we did not fulfill your expectations and are currently in the process of contacting you directly to extend our apologies and personally discuss your comments in further detail. Many couples have delighted in our Indulgence Package with consistent inspiring feedback on their experiences, however we will be attentive to your comments so as to ensure we continue to fulfill the essential expectations of all of our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

A few friends and I stayed here last month for a hen's weekend. The service was second to none. When the front desk could not locate the hen's reservation, they quickly resolved the situation, upgraded her room to a suite and even made cocktails for the girls.

Lovely decor, comfortable bedding and a sumptuous breakfast. I would have been happy to stay in the hotel all weekend. Every weekend away in Melbourne should be spent here!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
WestinMel, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your perceptive comments. We are delighted that we were able to provide an elevated experience for your special weekend away. We welcome you and your friends to join us again soon for another distinctive stay.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I visit Melbourne on business around 3 to 4 times a year and I usually stay at the Westin.

A few months ago I decided to give another five star hotel close by a shot as it had a good name and I wanted to see how it compared to the Westin.

As soon as I entered the room of the other hotel I immediately realised I made a mistake and I decided to return to the Westin during a subsequent visit. My latest visit was this month and it confirmed what I originally thought about the Westin Melbourne.

The hotel is very well located on Collins street, in the heart of the upmarket shopping district of central Melbourne. The rooms are spacious and elegant, the bed is extremely comfortable, ideal for relaxation and sleep after a busy day of meetings (or shopping). The bathroom is very spacious unlike some other hotels where the bathrooms resemble holes in the wall.

The service is efficient and prompt, during my stay there were enough staff at reception to cover check in and check out promptly. I have been in business hotels where reception does not have enough staff to cover the check in or check out procedure in reasonable time. When you are in a rush to get to meetings this small detail can be of importance.

We had dinner at Ezard which is a good restaurant on the street just behind the hotel. A great number of good restaurants are located close by, walking distance.

Overall the Westin Melbourne is accompanied with positive experiences for me. I will return again during my next Melbourne visit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
WestinMel, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, June 24, 2010
Dear Reviewer,

We are delighted you chose to return to The Westin Melbourne and that your stay was a fulfilling one. Thank you for taking the time to provide inspiring comments on your experience. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back soon for another refreshing stay.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

We just returned from a long week end in Melbourne and this is the first time we have stayed at the Westin. We are frequent travellers to Melbourne and often stay at other well know hotels but decided to try this Westin for a change. In short, we will return to this hotel and I recommend it without hesitation.

The location is great - walking distance to the city shops and restaurants including Federation Square. So close to all main transportation links or there was always a cab waiting at the front entrance. We trammed it to the MCG and easily walked back to the hotel.

We had connecting rooms with out children at the end of a passage way - rather than the standard door in the wall connecting room - they securely shut the end of the hall way off which in effect gave us a small lobby for the rooms to connect off. While we did not have a lovely view (I knew this beforehand as I did not pay for it) the outlook was pleasant and the rooms spacious. Beds were very comfortable.

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant which was nice but pricey but there are other options within close walking distance.

My biggest complaint - as with any hotel - is the amount they charge for internet connection in the rooms. In my opinion it should be classed as a standard ammenity and not a luxury - we are, after all, in 2010.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for submitting a review of your first stay with us. We are delighted that the location and room facilities provided a special retreat for your family. Regarding your comment on internet connection in the rooms, please note that there is complimentary WIFI available to guests in the Lobby. We hope you have the opportunity to visit again soon.

sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

As an SPG gold member I have stayed in many of the groups hotels but The Westin in Melbourne is by far the BEST.From the service to location,from guest comforts to facilities this hotel is 5 star all the way.I cannot recommend this property more highly.No other hotel in Melbourne comes close, if you want the best stay here ,there is NO other choice.I have stayed here on many occasions and cannot fault the Westin Melbourne.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
WestinMel, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, June 17, 2010
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such special feedback. We are delighted that you continue to have fulfilling stays with us and that you are willing to inspire others with your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back for another rejuvenating stay in the near future.

Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

The food menu needs to be improved. the location of the hotel is excellent and staff are very polite and charming. Not flexible with the menu options

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We were pleased that you were satisfied with our attentive customer service. We strive to be intuitive to guests needs so were disappointed to read that you were not completely satisfied with your dining experience. To allow us the opportunity to meet your personal tastes, please do not hesitate to contact us in advance of or during your next visit to discuss flexible arrangements, which we would be pleased to make.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I'm a Starwood (and namely a Westin) girl through and through. I love the familiarity of my "Heavenly Bed" when I'm one state over or halfway across the world. I thought I should go with a more exotic hotel but at the last minute switched to my old standby and I couldn't be happier. The room was fantastic - more elegant than most Westin rooms with separate shower and tub in the bathroom. In fact, I have had hotel rooms the size of this bathroom. Beds were extremely comfortable (as usual.) Service was excelled (as usual.) Decor was trendy, tasteful and relaxing (as usual.) My only disappointment after a 14 hour flight was that there was no formal spa. Only a small closet-sized room in which to receive a massage. The massage was ok but it just wasn't what I had expected from such an amazing hotel. The pool was nice but the temperature on the hot tub was too cold. The other major plus for this hotel was the location. Walking distance to most major attractions and right off of major public transit lines to go further out. Plus a Starbucks and yummy casual eateries downstairs and many more just steps away. And somehow in the midst of all this hustle and bustle the room remained quiet when we wanted to sleep. Bravo Westin. Another hotel well done.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
WestinMel, Director of Sales at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, June 13, 2010
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your comments. We feel special that you selected The Westin for your visit to Melbourne. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations with an on-site day spa facility or the bubble spa temparature. Tranquil massage treatments can also be taken in our guest rooms as an option. We look forward to renewing our personal acquaintance with you on your next visit.

Be well

Been to The Westin Melbourne? Share your experiences!