“Very Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Westin Melbourne to your Saves list
The Westin Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Stay + Save from $240 p/n
Ranked #21 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Very Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

You can't fault The Westin Melbourne, the rooms are lovely, beds "heavenly" staff were very friendly and welcoming. I love the size of the bathroom, nothing more luxurious than a big bathroom in a hotel - which can sometime be rare!! Breakfast was the standard fare you expect at a hotel buffet, but special mention to perfectly cooked made to order poached eggs - just how I like them, and a decent coffee too - which is not always the case! Would have liked to see a fresh carrot or beetroot juice on offer though! So all and all a good 5 star hotel - I have only given 4 out of 5 though as can't say I saw the gym or pool so don't know what that was like, and whilst I could not find much to complain about and everything was how it should be it did not have the "wow" factor, ie nothing out of the ordinary, it was just as I expected it to be, ticked the boxes, so a fabulous corporate hotel, but perhaps not the wow of a small funky boutique hotel. As I say nothing wrong with that but just saying!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Reviewer. We are pleased you experienced our warm Westin service and enjoyed a refreshing stay. Guests are also welcome to ‘take a piece of heaven home’ by purchasing from the Heavenly Bed range. When staying next please do view our Wellness centre and or perhaps go on line to view our pool as the design is simply beautiful and visually it is stunning. As for your request for ‘morning juice” our team would be delighted to provide in Allegro and or through IRD.. Please contact us directly for more information and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne. Be well.

1,036 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I spent 3 nights earlier in the week at the Westin Melbourne. The property is well located but the rooms are extremely boring...very 60's switches and furniture. There is no lounge at the property, so being a Platinum member does not mean a lot. The breakfast area has very stark furniture, staff that did not ask me if I wanted tea or coffee on either of the 2 days I was there and finally, a chef who is obviously overworked...because he was mucking up simple egg orders.

Last year, I mentioned to the staff that the lobby needed some music, some flowers etc just to make it more pleasant. Guess what...nothing has changed.

I looked for the concierge 4 times over a 2 day period and the desk was manned only twice.

The night before checking out, I called guest services and asked for salt because my throat was hurting and I wanted to gargle. It took them 40 minutes to get it to me.

This morning, when I checked out at 650am, I was struggling with my bags but nobody even offered to help me at the check out desk or even when I was unable to open the door to get out of the hotel. Finally, another hotel guest who was coming back from a run opened the door for me and helped me with my bags.

All in all, a pathetic experience. Perhaps the worst Starwood I have ever stayed at in terms of availability and helpfullness of the staff and the amenities.

I'd love to hear a few reasons why I should stay here again.

Room Tip: Take a higher floor
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Response: Dear Reviewer. We were disappointed to learn of the less than satisfactory experiences you encountered during your stay. This is not indicative of the level of service to which we strive, and we will certainly share your feedback with our team. We will view our records to determine why your request was not actioned in a timely manner. Thank you for your feedback regarding our background music in the hotel lobby and is a compilation of music only for Westin and it changes each month. We often receive requests from our guests to be provided with a copy. As for the fresh flowers which are located in the main lobby and the front desk, Westin has just introduced new branded guidelines perhaps one month ago that we have put into place for all to enjoy. We sincerely hope you reconsider staying with us in the future and may we request you contact the Front Office Manager directly to make your reservation so we can ensure your stay is memorable for all the right reasons. NB, not all our Starwood hotels have executive lounges in Australia however we do comply to the benefits of the SPG program Be well.
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

One of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in! Lovely hotel, great place to stay, we visited over the Christmas holidays to watch the Boxing Day test cricket... But despite the cricket (which we all loved watching regardless of losing) I was very happy with our choice of hotel. The staff were helpful and amazing when my husband needed a doctor on Christmas Day. Within 2 hours they had arranged for a doctor to be called out and medication was prescribed and collected! Which meant my grumpy husband soon was in less pain because of his poorly foot!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide such special feedback. We are delighted you experienced a fulfilling stay at The Westin Melbourne and visiting our wonderful city. We hope your husband has made a full recovery and hope to see you both again soon.
Be well.
India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Had an awesome stay for nearly a month. Thanks Westin Melbourne for making life so much comfortable during our stay (me, wife and baby) during Jan / Feb 2014.

I felt the hotel took special care for ALL my special requests, especially as I was travelling with a baby (Baby cot, microwave etc).

I had a room facing spencer street with a balcony. The minor issue was the noise of the trams, but the balcony and view were a novelty to have. Westin hotels also have a program in which they provide sports shoes and gear to guests during their stay. The hotel manager and staff went out of their way to find me my preferred shoes. Really appreciate that !

A fruit basket was provided every day along with a good selection of nuts / dried fruits. Thanks again for all my special fruit requests and sorry for finishing your walnut supplies !

What really stands out is that no one ever said no to any request, be it the front desk, service express or the concierge. Really impressed with the attitude of the hotel staff. Everyone was always ready to help and that too with a smile. Look forward to getting back and strongly recommend to others.

Trip type Business + Family

Room Tip: Rooms facing Spencer street provide a nice view, though the only issue is some noise due to the tram...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear reviewer. Thank you for your positive comments, your feedback is valuable to us. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at the Westin Melbourne. We are well known for our large and well appointed rooms with signature Westin features such as the Heavenly Bed, the name truly says it all. The view from our rooms onto Swanton Street and of the beautiful surrounding architecture is quite impressive. We glad you made the most of our Gear Lending program with New Balance, where guests can rent fresh workout gear and running shoes in your size for a nominal fee of $5 - the socks are yours to keep! We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Melbourne sometime soon. Be well.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Hotel has a great location in the city...We stayed for only a night but the heavenly bed really did provide us with a good night sleep.

I have stayed in the Westin in KL before and the bed again did not disappoint.

Unfortunately, given a low floor (4th floor) despite requesting for a higher floor...not sure if it was because i redeemed the room with SPG points... it was pricey though 12000 pts for a city view room with no breakfast included however the room being on the 4th floor offered not much of a view..

Also for a 5 star hotel, it sucks that internet is not free in the room..

Room Tip: Request for High Floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide renewing experiences for our guests, so it was disappointing to read your stay was not a completely fulfilling one. Please note as an alternative to guest room Internet, the hotel offers complimentary wireless in public areas, as well as desktop computers in the Business Centre. We look forward to providing another warm Westin welcome for your future visits to Melbourne. Be well.
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Booked an overnight stay as a surprise for my husband and we loved it. Great location, large sized room with plenty of space. Reasonably priced package that included valet parking and breakfast. Had a glass of champagne in the bar before going out for dinner and staff were very friendly throughout the hotel. Easy walking to a variety of restaurants, theatres and the Yarra River. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide such special feedback. We are delighted you experienced a fulfilling stay in every way at The Westin Melbourne and visiting our wonderful city. Melbourne always has so much on in the theatres, art exhibitions, ballet, jazz and the fabulous shopping. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next getaway. Be well.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed twice different times and love this hotel. Very clean and staff is very kind and friendly. Would recommend the Westin to all the views of the city were fantastic. Wish I stayed here on my wedding night.

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed our instinctive service, signature Heavenly facilities and our unsurpassed location close to all Melbourne has to offer. We strive to provide guests with personal service and renewing facilities so it is inspiring to read we have consistently fulfilled your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Be well.

Been to The Westin Melbourne? Share your experiences!