“Woest experience encountered with a hotel!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Westin Melbourne to your Saves list
The Westin Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Stay + Save from $240 p/n
Ranked #20 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Ireland
“Woest experience encountered with a hotel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I recently turned 29 and decided to have a High Tea and chose the Westin as their high tea looked great. I booked for 15 people and explained that there would be 10 - 15. I then asked for a confirmation email to be sent which they agreed, nothing was received so i called 2 days later, nothing again, then i had to call a week later and finally received 2 days later! I was advised credit card needed to hold booking in case of a no shoe because they are "extremely busy on saturdays" I called on the Satu;rday morning to advise in advance that only 12 people to speak to a snotty, rude and ignorant receptionist advising that they were still going to charge for remaining 3 people...when I explained that it was an amendment and not a no show her rudeness elevanted and started arguing with me on the phone. She referred to the email which included this "small print" which did not include anything at this respect. I advised I wanted to speak to a manager (this being the morning of the high tea) and she said he would call me at 12...1pm hit and still no call...so I had to call and speak to the bar supervisor who was not apologetic of bad service and after several twoing and froing eventually agreed to it... Ironically, when we had the high tea the food was lovely and get this...we were the ONLY people having high tea there. Must say I have had a lot of experiences with 4/5 star hotels and always been treated very courteously but this was an absolute joke. Based on service alone, i would never go back!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your comments regarding your recent dining experience. We apologize for the service you received during the booking process (was not up to our usual high standards.) Our high tea reservations system would usually generate an automatic confirmation of the details for your booking. We are investigating this to make sure the process flow is smooth in the future. All of our food is prepared freshly and made to order thus we require final numbers for larger groups 24 hours prior to serving time. We certainly acknowledge there has been a miscommunication on our behalf and glad you enjoyed the high tea with your friends. We hope to welcome you back soon for the opportunity to provide a more delightful indulgence. Be well.

1,006 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I recently completed my second stay here with my wife as we visited for three nights to attend a wedding. From start to finish, we thought it was a pretty terrible stay. It just seemed that the staff couldn't get anything right the whole time. And every time we complained about a problem, the staff made out like we were martians from another planet.

We arrived quite late in the evening, around 11pm. There was no porter outside and no one to help us with our luggage. That was really disappointing at a 5 star hotel.

Walking inside, and the lobby is very nice. It's probably the nicest thing about this hotel as it's light and airy, has a nice vista of Swanston Street and feels really classy.

When we went to check-in, there was one man at the front desk who looked a bit like dr evil. He was very cold and frosty. He processed our check-in quite efficiently, but he looked quite miserable and made us feel like we were somehow inferior, or not up to the calibre of their usual guests. I'm not quite sure why because we were in quite formal wedding attire.

The room was okay, but it looked quite dated and in need of a refresh. There were a lot of things in our room that weren't working. The lights kept flickering on and off, the light switch beside our bed didn't work, the TV remote control was covered in dust. One night, all the lights turned on without any reason which was also a bit spooky.The ipod dock is also a very cheap one with sound quality not worthy of listening to.

The bathroom looked nice, but it had a few problems and the floor isn't level!! Every time we took a shower, it leaked water all over the floor which was really a pain. The first day it happened we were really surprised. We joked that it was a bit like staying in a hostel in the third world.

The bathroom flush was very hard to use and only the half flush worked! Needless to say, in many instances, the job wasn't able to be done with only half working!

We had a nice little balcony but unfortunately it was too cold to use and the noise insulation was very poor. We were woken several times in the night by garbage trucks.

The gym was small and smelled terrible. The equipment was old and a lot of the machines - i think the shoulder press - had a grip that was falling off. This surprised me because fitness and healthy living is such an important part of the Westin brand, but clearly not at this hotel.

We had breakfast in the restaurant on two days. It was $40 each which we thought was very expensive, especially for the quality of the food. The eggs--cooked fresh to order--were really quite nice, but things like bacon, tomatoes and sausages were all watery and didn't taste very good. What's more, the hot food is placed so high on the ledge that it's almost above your head for shorter people like me. The continental selection was also very poor and definitely not as good as other hotels. Maybe the most insulting thing was that the coffee wasn't free flow. We had to pay extra for a second coffee after paying $40! I've never stayed in another hotel that does that. Service during breakfast was also very poor. It seems like they're short staffed as they seemed to run around madly, constantly forgetting things. They seemed to consider us unreasonable when we asked where our coffees were after waiting 20 minutes.

The hotel has wifi access, but it didn't work very well from our room. They told us when we called that they never have problems with their internet, but looking above, i see lots of people have complained, so i wonder why they tried to claim it was a problem with our TWO computers when we tried to connect! We never did manage to get it to work, so we used our iphones as hotspots.

When we checked out, the check-out agent was again very cold. There were two erroneous mini bar charges which we were quite miffed about as our friends who were also staying at the hotel had the same problem. We were wondering if there's some thought of collusion happening? For the record, our friends who were Starwood Platinum, said that the benefits they got at the Westin Melbourne were the worst they'd ever had at any Westin hotel, so we concluded that it wasn't just us as non-members who had a bad experience.

All in all, we felt like the whole hotel has a serious attitude problem. It seems the staff here think the hotel is a lot better than what it is. The only thing working in its favour is the location is really great for sightseeing and shopping. But at this price, it was a really disappointing experience. We were really disappointed that they seem to treat customers like total idiots and I just get the feeling it's a style which comes right from the top.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for the feedback you have provided. In short it appears everything went wrong for you both and for this we apologise. We would welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly and if we may request that you to contact our Rooms Division Manager at your earliest convenience. We look forward to hearing from you. Be well.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

From the warm welcome in the foyer to the smiles at breakfast it was a joy to be staying at the Westin. Central location with everything Melbourne has to offer on the door step. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, from room service to umbrellas and changes of itinerary all handled with a smile.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for choosing The Westin Melbourne for your recent holiday. We are delighted to read our associates provided personalized service and you enjoyed our unsurpassed location. Your special comments will be shared with all departments as inspiration to continue providing personal and instinctive service. We offer a fulfilling range of accommodation packages and welcome you to take advantage of our special offers for future visits to Melbourne. Be well.
2,077 reviews 2,077 reviews
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

A very professional and well located hotel. Always get a warm welcome on arrival and nothing is too much trouble for this friendly team. I had arrived hours early but they found me a room so I didn't have to wait around. The rooms are spacious, clean and well presented but the main benefit has to be its location.
I had several meetings and functions on and each one of them was within 5 minutes walking.
The breakfast is first class and the swimming pool is excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for recognizing our personal service, comfortable guest rooms and distinctive dining venue. We were pleased we were able to assist with an early morning check in to start your business stay. We look forward to providing you with instinctive service on your next visit to Melbourne. Be well.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have been a regular at the Westin Melbourne since it opened years ago and I'm pleased to say that it's still my favourite after all these years. The decor remains fresh. The rooms are generously sized, contemporary and spotlessly clean. It is always a relaxing retreat at the end of a long day. The location is very convenient, so close to business and retail (including some quality boutiques at the street entrance to the building). Perhaps my only caution is the in-room dining - over the years the quality of food has varied and the price has risen.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Collins Street have nice aspect and sound of quaint street trams. Rooms overlooki...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer. We appreciated your loyalty to The Westin Melbourne and delighted you experienced a fulfilling stay with our central location and refreshing facilities. Thank you for your feedback regarding our in room dining - we provide an extensive, restaurant-quality menu, which we constantly review to ensure it appeals to all budgets and tastes. We look forward to welcoming you back for another renewing stay.
Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Concierge was a delight to deal with when it came to my last minute booking. I had to conduct brief business down by the Lobby Bar lounge area (which also had attentive service), and moved my self upstairs for dinner since I was in the hood. The hotel was full due to numerous Seminars around Melbourne so I was forced to Stay elsewhere this time round, but it didn't keep me away from the fabulicity of this ol' favorite of mine. I had a great Vegetarian dinner and was looked after with the true Grace that Starwood is known for. I was greeted by the Restaurant supervisor, Kevin who made sure that the quality of service was nothing short of brilliant. This is about the 15th time I have dined at Allegro Restaurant, and I can not stop my self from going back for more. When I took my Momma and family there last year - they treated her with the love and attention I give her my self and she still talks about it. Thank you all so much for the wonderful food, service and ambiance that meets me every time I return to this homely institution. Simply exquisite...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer. We are pleased you had a refreshing dining experience in Allegro. We pride ourselves on providing personal, instinctive service and are delighted to read our associates continue to provide memorable experiences for our guests. We will pass on your inspiring comments to the entire team. We look forward to providing another warm welcome when you next return to Melbourne. Be well.
Singapore57
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I am surprised that this hotel only comes in eighth, but then I am also surprised by how many "excellent" ratings it receives. I have stayed in some of the hotels that are rated higher, and I would not rate them higher. The hotel probably has the best location in Melbourne, and it is a unique and solidly constructed building. However, very few details, e.g., lack of floral arrangements, and lack of pleasant lighting in the public areas. Rooms are a little bare too, with very few amenities. No shoe horn, comb, toothbrush or paste, and no turndown service. An Asian hotel group could do something really spectacular with the facility, but Westin appears to be aiming for four stars, while hoping to get five. excellent, and large pool in the basement. I have stayed here many times and I will continue to stay here, but not because it's so great but because this is Australia, which is by no means the land of great hotels, and thus the Westin is about as good as it gets in Melbourne, which again is far short of excellent. Also, the breakfast is over priced and does not have much of a selection.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your detailed feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed our refreshing Wellness centre and location surrounded by Melbourne’s finest attractions. We were surprised to hear your comments on floral arrangement and lighting in the public areas however we would definitely take your feedback on board. Please note any room amenities can be obtained by contacting our dedicated Service Express team, as well as turn down service. We do offer an a la carte menu along with the buffet breakfast in Allegro. Our breakfast chef can prepare a special omelet and poached eggs to your liking if the selections are not sufficient. We hope you will give us the opportunity to provide a more refreshing experience in the not too distant future. Be well.

Been to The Westin Melbourne? Share your experiences!