“Great Location, Service & Food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Westin Melbourne to your Saves list
The Westin Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Stay + Save from $240 p/n
Ranked #20 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Maryland
“Great Location, Service & Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is very close to the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Rod Laver Arena, and even Etihad Stadium if your trip involves a sporting event in Melbourne. It is also close to Southern Cross, a bus/train station, and a block from Federation Square. You can walk to many Melbourne attractions from the hotel, and given its central location, there are many restaurants within walking distance.

The room is clean, modern and spacious, and even though our room faced Swanston Street, we were not bothered by street noises. The breakfast food is plentiful, with freshly baked pastries, fruits, and eggs prepared on order.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Reviewer. We are delighted you experienced a renewing stay with our luxurious rooms and central location amongst some of Melbourne’s finest attractions. We thank you for your feedback regarding our breakfast. We look forward to your return in the near future.

1,014 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
montreal,canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great services, excellent location, staff extremely cordial, value for the cost.
1/2 block from central Melbourne near train station and central tourist area.
If visiting Melbourne and want to be ib CBD, stay there

Room Tip: Ask for outside room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide such special feedback on your recent stay. We are pleased to provide a refreshing oasis in Melbourne’s city centre and we are delighted you recognize our instinctive service and luxurious facilities. Be well.
Pimpama, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have spent many years travelling globally - both for business and pleasure - and locally and have often visited Melbourne as my 2 children live there. However I have never stayed at The Westin before, mainly the Hiltons, Sofitels, Langham etc. On this trip -one night in Melbourne to have dinner with my children I decided to spoil myslef and stay at The Westin as there were so many glowing reviews. As this was a personal visit I completed the booking via a web site that does these things and happily set off to Melbourne.
I arrived at about 4:05 pm and had my first experience with the booking in process. My room was not ready yet. Everyone agreed that there was a "guaranteed" booking in time of 3:00pm however the room was not ready. I was welcome to wait - what else could I do ? - and so I did. There was no effort to compromise - another room / upgrade / pay more - just wait and so I did I was give 2 vouchers for the bar and this gave me another unique experience at The Westin - they take your drink away when it is half full and ask if you would like another ??? anyway at about 5:00 pm I was informed that my room was ready and I could go up when I was ready ??
When I got to my room I think that they had given up trying to get it ready and had just pulled the bed straight. I can only hope that they had changed the sheets - and what is with the 2 single beds ?? Is this standard in The Westin. Anyway I was meeting my family downstairs at 6.00 pm so I went to shower etc. I gave up trying to get the TV etc working and as for the view - I had a really good view of the concierge going about his duties.
Having completed my ablutions and get changed I went down stairs to the bar to await the arrival of my kids and had a glass of wine - well half a glass as I did not really want to tussle with the waitress for possession of my last half glass. My children arrived and had drinks as well and witnessed the disappearance of my 2nd half glass. By this time it was a bit of a joke and so we headed off to the restaurant for dinner. At this stage I was thanking the stars that I had made a booking outside the hotel.

Next morning I had breakfast and bid adieu to The Westin.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 222.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for bringing the details of your experience with our associates to our attention and we sincerely apologise this was not a fulfilling experience for you. The service you encountered during your visit is certainly not typical of the service we offer and rest be assured your comments have been passed on to ensure our high quality standard is delivered at all times. Our Westin Room has two type of configurations with either one King bed or twin beds, we apologize if this has not been communicated to you prior to your check in. We hope you reconsider staying with us in the future so we may have the opportunity to provide a more distinctive Westin experience. Be well.
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just spent 3 nights at Westin Melbourne with my daughter who was celebrating her 15th birthday.
We arrived at 10am expecting to just leave our bags but to our delight got early check in and room upgrade. Our room was of high standard & had wonderful views over Federation Square (rm 707).
That afternoon to our room was delivered some complimentary chocolates & birthday wishes.
Had a problem with air conditioner but problem was fixed immediately & effortlessly!
I have nothing but good things to say about our stay at hotel.
Will come back again. Also before I forget LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION!
Close to everything and in the heart of all that is Melbourne CBD! Loved walking out the door & having it all on our doorstep! ;)

Room Tip: Room 707 is the room to stay in!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are thrilled you decided to stay with us for such a special occasion. At the Westin Hotel Melbourne we strive to make your experience more enjoyable at every opportunity we can. We are delighted we were able to assist with an early check-in and upgraded room. Melbourne always has so much on in the theatres, art exhibitions, ballet, jazz and lets not forget the fabulous shopping. By the way, there are “hidden secret laneway tours” if you wish to learn the history and the tours are very informative. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next family getaway. Be well.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I travel to Melbourne regularly on business, once a year and while I have stayed in other hotels, this is now my go to.

The rooms are lovely and clean and large. There is a very nice swimming pool and a functional gym but it is the friendliness and courtesy of the staff which make the place such a pleasure.

The concierge staff and in particularly the more senior gentleman who greets guests at the door, are unfailingly polite and helpful - and after only four annual visits, have remembered me and where I am from - all of which helps make this hotel feel a lot like coming home.

The location is excellent with many facilities and shops nearby.

The standard rooms do look onto a wall, so if you are staying for leisure or spend a lot of time n your room, then you may wish to pay more and upgrade. However on a business trip, generally there is limited time to take in a view or lack of one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your special comments. Your inspiring feedback is certainly appreciated. We look forward to continuing to surprise and delight you with our personal service, central location and facilities for business travelers. Whilst our Westin Rooms have an interior or garden view, we do have City View which boasts an uplifting view overlooking St. Paul’s Cathedral, the City Square, or Collins Street. Be well.
Beijing
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I booked this hotel with SPG points and despite this, was disappointed overall.
We had an unfortunate incident with some mail sent to the concierge desk which was initially handled poorly, but was then resolved with some good will on behalf of the hotel. I was therefore satisfied with the resolution and therefore do not include that as a negative in this review.

Although the hotel has a fantastic location, the welcome was cold. The person behind the desk gave a very perfunctory welcome and booked us in to an unsuitable room without asking what we needed. There was only one room setup available to book with points, an accessible twin room, I had to request a change and was told "that was the room I had selected". We eventually ended up in the lowest available room class, despite my gold SPG status.
I was down by the desks later and noticed the same staff member providing a rather more welcoming performance, so presumably bookings made with SPG points are not valued, or our younger age and casual dress counted against us - I rather suspect this was the case since the staff seemed more than a little snobby.
Since we were leaving for a flight at 05:30 the next morning, we requested a breakfast bag to take with us. Despite breakfast being included in the booking, we were told we'd have to pay for this - unnecessary when a croissant and a piece of fruit would have been fine.
When checking in we had used the valet parking service since we were leaving early in the morning. Despite a high $50AUS price this was again poor. We told the valet we would be leaving at 05:30, however when we went down to collect the car, the car was there but no staff members were. After 10 minutes of looking around I found a staff member who retrieved my keys from the desk drawer - I don't mean to be overly critical, but having paid for a premium service, I didn't expect to have to hunt for the keys myself.

As I said, the hotel has a perfect location and the public areas are impressive.
On the downside, the room we ended up in was disappointing with an unpleasant view of a wall.
The staff appeared to be judgmental, with an overly-high opinion of the hotel - poor service will spoil anywhere. The car valet service even managed to make a slight mess of a very simple process.

I couldn't recommend this hotel, which is a surprise given the high standard of Westin and other SPG hotels we have stayed at throughout Asia and Europe.

Room Tip: Ask for an external view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding our SPG program and The Westin Melbourne. We sincerely regret any inconveniences you experienced and welcome you to discuss these with us at the time of your stay so we may have the opportunity to remedy your concerns. Rest assured we will be sharing your detailed feedback with the team so we are all aware of the areas in which we could have improved your experience. As a loyal Starwood guest, we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Westin for a more instinctive experience.
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Last time my wife and I went to the Great Ocean Road, we stayed here for two days.

The Westin Melbourne is located in the heart of the Collins Street, behind the St. Paul's Cathedral, next to the river, surrounded by excellent theatre, restaurants and shops, and it's steps away from Flinders Street Station, Federation Square, and the beatutiful Royal Botanical Gardens. The location is really great.

I'm glad we were upgraded to a Spa Studios. This corner room is very spacious, equipped with a 42-inch LCD television. The decor is modern, has large floor to ceiling windows, and it is nicely furnished. Bathroom has separate shower and tub, and I like the Westin signature Heavenly Shower. From our room we can see many landmark buildings in the vicinity, such as the St Paul's Cathedral, The Melbourne Town Hall, and of course, the Federation Square.

Westin breakfast offers a vast selection of quality food, and we also enjoyed our dinner at the Allegro Restaurant when we came back from the Great Ocean Road. We ordered the appetizer, soup, two main courses, dessert and pairing wines. The ingredients were fresh, wines are great, and the food was cooked delicately.

We really enjoyed our stay here, and hope we can come back soon.

Room Tip: The Spa Studio offers a nice view of the landmark buildings next door
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer. We are pleased to provide a refreshing oasis in Melbourne’s city centre and we are delighted we were able to provide you with an upgrade to one of our Westin Spa Studios. We are pleased you recognize our luxurious facilities and distinctive dining options. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back for another refreshing stay. Be well.

Been to The Westin Melbourne? Share your experiences!