“Classy, welcoming and sophisticated...just like Melbourne” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Melbourne

You added The Westin Melbourne to your Saves list
The Westin Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Lowest Available Rate!
Ranked #16 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Houston, Texas
“Classy, welcoming and sophisticated...just like Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The Westin is a fantastic place to stay during a visit to the charming city of Melbourne. The hotel has the best location in the CBD: on Collins Street (the main drag), adjacent to City Square and the Regent Theatre, and just steps away from Town Hall, St. Paul's Cathedral, Federation Square, historic shopping arcades, the Yarra River and the iconic Flinders Street Station. Plus, it's located at a major intersection of the city's network of trams, which makes for easy maneuvering around the city.

The hotel lent me a "Myki" transit card, which was a huge convenience. It allowed me to use public transportation (no cash/coins accepted) without having to buy a transit card, which is somewhat a waste for a short visit of just 3-4 days.

I was in room 224, a Westin WorkOut room - complete with exercise bike, dumbbells, exercise ball (Swiss ball), yoga mat and medicine ball. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable with a large Heavenly bed, plush pillows and a large bathroom with a huge two-headed rain shower.

The service throughout my stay was excellent -- truly world-class. I can understand why this is one of Australia's most awarded hotels. I particularly liked the helpful and friendly doorman. (I didn't catch his name, but he's an older gentleman.) Check-in was smooth, efficient and professional; check out was a breeze; and all my questions/requests were addressed with a helpful smile.

I encountered only two small nits during my stay: there was no luggage rack in the room and there was no complimentary bottled water. This was the first Starwood hotel I've ever stayed in as an SPG member and not had complimentary bottled water in the guestroom. (If bottled water can't be provided for all hotel guests, then at least as a courtesy to SPG members.)

All in all, it was a memorable stay. I definitely recommend the Westin to anyone visiting the great city of Melbourne.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Reviewer. We are delighted you enjoyed our central location, luxurious room facilities and personal service Westin is renowned for. Thank you for taking the time to recognize the outstanding service our associates and Mr Ian Morrison provides. Ian won the Starwood Pacific award for “Caring for our Guests” and simply he makes a difference to all he comes into contact with and is a great ambassador for our hotel for which we are truly thankful. May we extend our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced and we would like to assure you the luggage rack and bottled waters can be obtained by simply contacting our dedicated Service Express team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Be well.

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I had a very average stay at The Westin. Firstly the hotel is very tired and really needs a good refurbishment. The amenities do not spell "quality". The service was patchy - front desk staff were slow but Service Express staff were quite fast. Little things really bothered me like not providing a bottle opener in the room even though soft drinks had the tops that required an opener. Then when I received the opener I couldn't work out how to use it! Even the room attendant said it was a tricky design and almost spilt the entire drink. They have a clumsy system whereby next to the bed there are 3 buttons. Be careful because I pressed it by accident once (it was pitch black) and I happened to press the do not disturb button meaning my room was not cleaned up the whole day! I would never have pressed it had I known. Cleaning service was ok...certainly not up to the standard of other hotels that I have stayed at. The one thing that is great about this hotel is the location - right near Swanston and walk to everywhere - it is just fabulous. If I had to compare with some of the other Melbourne hotels, Westin is nowhere near as elegant and luxurious as Crown, and although Sofitel is 80s, Sofitel has much nicer soft furnishings and more refined service. However of the three Westin has the best location. Room size was good quite large and the bathroom, though older style was very large. Also I only had luke warm water for 4 of the 5 nights I stayed. The breakfast buffet was not that great - very limited options and too small. The dining room was very dated.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your detailed feedback. We strive to provide renewing experiences for our guests, so it was disappointing to read your stay was not a completely fulfilling one. Please be assured we have addressed your concerns regarding guest services and communication with all staff and we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience in water temperature. As for bottle opener, it is located in the tea/ coffee drawer and every request can be met by contacting Service Express®. May we mention we are currently developing plans to refresh some of our public spaces and our signature restaurant, Allegro which will ensure long-term viability of the hotel. We sincerely hope you reconsider staying with us in the future. Be well.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I have to say this Westin is below my expectation. There is no lounge and the breakfast is like what we had in Holiday Inn. The bathroom door can not be closed properly so that water flood the floor when bathing. The staff here are really nice which still reminds me it's Westin.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay and we are delighted you experienced the instinctive service the Westin Melbourne is renowned for. As a boutique-style Westin, we are unable to offer an Executive lounge facility. Not all our hotels in Australia have executive lounges however under the SPG program, we offer the inclusions. We apologize for the inconvenience you experience with the bathroom door and we would like to receive more details so we can rectify please in an attempt to resolve the concern. Please do contact our Rooms Division Manager when your schedule permits. We hope you will give us an opportunity of returning in the not too distant future. Be well.
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We just got back from our Australian trip and stayed 2 nights here. (which was not enough) The staff was very professional and friendly/ helpful. If you talk to the morning concierge Paul, you are lucky. He knows it all and has great suggestions!

The hotel is located close to the Southgate area, DeGraves Street and more. We walked everywhere. Free Wifi service in the lobby (a fun place to hang out) and a basic gym. We were able to exchange money at the front desk as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
WestinMelboune1185, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide a delightful feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed our central location and Concierge assistance. We sincerely appreciate your comments and will certainly share them with all associates as an inspiration to continue providing personal, instinctive service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Be well.
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and found the location excellent and the staff always friendly.
Arrived just after 11 am and wanted to drop my bag off before the 3pm check in, reception suggested to complete check in and just pick key up after - soon as details were looked up / entered I was told my room was already ready so straight to it I went.

The 2nd floor room was good overall and the bed very comfortable.
The only negative for me was the noise from the street and the rubbish truck at 3.40am each morning waking me up.

I would of thought they would have double glazed windows but did not.

I have a few more stays booked through May so hopefully the experience is as good or gets even better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dear Reviewer. We are pleased you enjoyed our central location and personal service. Just to let you know, all of our guest rooms have double-glazed windows however we are sorry to hear about the noise you had to deal with during the night and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We would be happy to provide a more peaceful alternative so please enquire directly with our in-house reservations team prior to your next stay. Thank you and be well.
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed at the Westin one Saturday night for business. First warning, Melbourne CBD is a traffic nightmare at night. Both Collins Street and Flinders Street were chocked full of traffic even at midnight. You spend many minutes in a taxi crawling along and the hotel is in a particularly bad stretch of Collins Street. The hotel and decor are pleasant enough. Pretty much what you expect from 5 stars. And the room was large and comfortable. Now the minuses. There was no turn down service. No complimentary bottles of water. Breakfast buffet barely adequate for a 5 star hotel, with only one waiter. Noise from neighbouring bars was very loud after midnight, although I was on the second floor so maybe it was better on the higher floors. This was then compounded by the noise of the garbage truck at 5.30am Sunday morning. Overall, I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Melbourne. We would like to inform you all hotel-related requests that you mentioned can be made through a single phone call to Service Express. Regarding noise levels around the hotel, we do our best to ensure a refreshing stay for our guests in our central city location and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Be well.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed at the Westin with my wife and children (14 & 10), we had adjoining rooms at the end of a corridor which gave us our own foyer. Fantastic location on the corner of Collins Street and Swanston Street and the hotel staff were wonderful. My favourite hotel in Melbourne and cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a rooom overlooking Swanston street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide such special feedback. We are delighted you experienced a fulfilling stay in every way at The Westin Melbourne and visiting our wonderful city. Melbourne always has so much on in the theatres, art exhibitions, ballet, jazz and the fabulous shopping. By the way, there are “hidden secret laneway tours” if you wish to learn the history and the tours are very informative. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next family getaway. Be well.