“Elegance and luxury” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Melbourne

You added The Westin Melbourne to your Saves list
The Westin Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Urban Retreat from $270
Ranked #17 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Elegance and luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

There is very little one could do to improve The Westin in Melbourne, certainly from a business hotel standpoint. The rooms are very elegant and tastefully appointed, not to mention quite large. The bathrooms are very modern and luxurious, with rainforest shower heads, excellent toiletries and are so big, you'll need a map to find your way from the sink to the shower. While some travelers have reported noise, I heard none during my stay, although I was located in a rear room, rather than one facing the street.
If I was to be unreasonably picky, I'd say that the only issues would be a cracked light switch, and pillows that were too soft (alhough the latter is personal preference). All in all, a great hotel.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a rear facing room- I had no noise during my stay
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WestinMel, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide such special feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed our luxurious facilities and have noted your feedback regarding light switch. May we mention SPG members receive 15% off food in all F&B venues at our hotel (T&C’s apply). If you are not already an SPG member, please enquire on your next stay and or log onto our website. Be well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Due to a delayed flight, I checked in about 11pm. The place seemed and was pretty much deserted. I struggled through the swing-open doors with my multiple bags and looked for check-in. OK, down there, at the end of the lobby area. As I headed down that way, I wondered why the pair of doors I passed that led from the arrival courtyard more directly to the check-in area were roped off.

The check-in was efficient (too efficient I found later) and I had been assigned the 'quiet room' I requested in advance.

The room was large and well appointed. Good desk for work, with various plugs and IT connections. Bathroom very large; bed very comfortable. Aircon simple and worked well. A clean, high quality iron and good ironing board. Fantastic!

I was able to go straight to sleep but was woken quite early by the trams clanking across the nearby road intersection. Its one of the main intersections in downtown Melbourne, so every few minutes a tram shudders and clanks across. Its like having a construction site next door.

In the morning I discovered how efficient the check-in was the previous night. I realised I had been told nothing whatsoever about the hotel. Nothing about the wi-fi, where breakfast was to be had, or any of the facilities I later learned of such as the spa and gym. I looked in the room for the usual compendium and didn't find it. OK, breakfast is usually on the 1st floor, yes? Down the lifts only to find meeting rooms. Down to ground floor ask the concierge. He's busy on the phone arranging the meeting rooms. Have a hunt around on the ground floor, looking for any signs. Nothing. Ask check-in. 'Oh, facilities are all explained on your TV.' Great. If only some-one told me that, maybe I would have turned the TV on.

'Where is breakfast, please'? I enquire. Them: 'On the first floor'. Me: 'I've just been there, and only found meeting rooms' Them: 'Its at the far other end of the hotel; there's another set of lifts down the other end'.

Back to the first floor, walk down the other end of the hotel, looking for signs to something like 'breakfast' along the way. Nothing. Only 'Allegro restaurant'. Eventually, round a few bends, there is the breakfast venue - Allegro restaurant.

By this time I was a bit crabby and an expensive breakfast was dispensed with as rapidly as possible, tepid coffee and all.

The end of my visit was a repeat of the introduction. Struggling through the main doors with my bags. There was a uniformed guy outside, in the area where a person usually assists customers with their bags, to get a taxi etc. But this person was admiring a sports car that was parked nearby, so I walked past, out to the street and got my own taxi.

I found the hotel room, building and facilities to be very good (once I found them). If only a chain could take it over and install a management who could in turn get their staff to offer guests a modicum of information and/or assistance, it would be a winner.

in the meantime, its a miss for me, SPG status notwithstanding.

Room Tip: Rooms at the Collins St end are more suceptible to tram noises, which can be quite intrusive.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer. As one of Melbourne’s leading five star hotels, we strive to ensure guests have a valuable experience so it was disappointing to read your stay was not a completely fulfilling one. Thank you for your comments about the Front Office experience you encountered – we have forwarded your comments for further investigation to prevent similar events from occurring. Regarding noise levels in the hotel, we do our best to ensure a refreshing stay for our guests in our central city location and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We hope you will give us an opportunity of regaining your confidence in the not too distant future.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Very well and conveniently located, on Collins Street, very close to tram stops and Flinders Street station, and Bourke Street shopping mall. The room is spacious and bathroom is almost too big! Everything is very nice and clean, which is what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The only let down for me is that there was no 'Wow' factor for me. There was not anything that made it stand out from or above other 5 star hotels. The service was good and there were smiles all around, but nothing special. Street noise did permeate upwards a bit, at night, so good thing the bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible to escape street noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer. We are pleased to provide a refreshing oasis in Melbourne’s city centre and we are delighted you recognize our unsurpassed location and luxurious facilities. We pride ourselves on our signature personal and instinctive service so we were extremely disappointed to read your comments. May we ask if you could please contact us directly prior to your next arrival to ensure a completely fulfilling stay. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Westin Melbourne. Be well.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We have been staying exclusively at Starwood properties and this may be the best Westin ever, as far as facilities are concerned. Outstanding location with beautiful lobby, rooms, decor and bathrooms. The shopping and dining options make this a perfect choice for exploring the downtown area.

The service is consistent with that found at other Westins. Concierge and bellman services were better than I expected. The one weak spot was the lobby bar. It seemed more like a commercial for Moët and Chandon Champagne than a hotel bar. It took forever for them to take my order, and they never returned for me to ask for the check.

I was quite disappointed on checkout when I noticed they added a 'voluntary' contribution to the UNICEF charity without my permission. It was for a small amount and I was too rushed on checkout to complain. But this was an unpleasant surprise to an otherwise great visit.

I went to the gym and felt the pool was average. The steam room was quite small- it seemed adequate until someone else came in- it then felt crowded. Ladies take note- the steam room and sauna are coed. But the sauna was broken.

I cannot comment on value as we stayed here for free on points.

Overall a very nice hotel. High points are the location and bathrooms. Service at times lags behind.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for continuing to stay with the Starwood Hotels & Resorts. We sincerely value your loyalty and are delighted you enjoy our instinctive service, luxurious facilities and central location. Our spacious guest rooms are also certainly amongst the largest in Melbourne. Regarding the charge mentioned on your account of $1.00 for UNICEF, please accept our apology if you missed this information on the registration card and our Front Desk did not provide you with the UNICEF insert in your key wallet outlining our partnership with this charity. This donation is optional in all our Starwood properties and we do inquire with our guests on check out confirming participation from each guest. We offer our apologies as it appears this was not offered to you. During your next stay, if you are not already a Starwood Preferred Guest member, please request to join the program so we may keep you informed of our special offers. Be well.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is simply an outstanding hotel, everything is first-class. Nice, large rooms and bathrooms. Bathroom especially is gleaming marble and glass, with luxury and hi-tech touches. Very comfortable bed. Great location too, right in the heart of Melbourne, close to the famous lanes with the coffee shops, restaurants, and galleries.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for taking the time to provide such special feedback. We are pleased to provide a refreshing oasis in Melbourne’s city centre and we are delighted you recognize our unsurpassed location, luxurious facilities and signature Heavenly Bed. By the way, there are “hidden secret laneway tours” if you wish to learn the history and the tours are very informative. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit. Be well.
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I try to stay here for a few days each time I visit Melbourne, and this time it was just as excellent as every time I stay and just as reliable and great as when i first started staying here 8-9 years ago. Service was excellent, I had a fab room with a view onto the city skyline with little balcony great for a drink at dusk. The beds are still some of the best offered by any chain out there. Excellent location, and great place to explore the city or for business.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for choosing to return to the Westin. We are delighted to provide another fulfilling experience and pleased you received such special service from our associates. You are also welcome to ‘take a piece of heaven home’ by purchasing from the Heavenly® Bed range through our Business Centre. As a loyal guest, you may be aware of our Starwood Preferred Guest program. If you are not already a member, we encourage you to enquire on your next visit so you may enjoy a range of inspiring travel rewards. Be well.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We always stay here and get well looked after. Comfy beds, good aircon, terrific food, and the driveway boys are always a standout. This time we did the meal deal in the Allegro which gave us a selection of entrees and mains for a reasonable price - well presented and surprisingly healthy. The Westin seems determined to improve my overall consumption of the so-called 'super' foods! Brekkie can be busy but the selection is impressive. I particularly enjoy their swimming pool, going to the Business Lounge for free Nespresso and sitting in the lobby bar by the fire on winter Sunday mornings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your inspiring feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate you recommending us to other travelers. We will ensure your comments are passed to all associates in our hotel with special mention to our Doorman and Food & Beverage associates. We do try to build a culture of continuous communication amongst all our departments and most of all, deliver caring service that is memorable. SPG members now receive 15% off food in our Food & Beverage venues as a new permanent benefit (T&C’s apply). We look forward to welcoming you your next visit to Melbourne. Be well.

Been to The Westin Melbourne? Share your experiences!