“Thank you for helping us on our honeymoon when Qantas didn't!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Melbourne

Save Saved
You added The Westin Melbourne to your Saves list
The Westin Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   205 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Stay + Save from $240 p/n
Ranked #20 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Thank you for helping us on our honeymoon when Qantas didn't!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Due to the unplanned Qantas grounding on the day of our Wedding, our flights to Sydney were cancelled. We had planned to spend 2 nights at Shangri-La Sydney prior to our trip to Maui and New York, but with no planes in the air, we had to stay in Melbourne.

I was able to ring up at 9.30am on Cup Eve, get a room at The Westin and check-in only a few hours later. No hassle. The hotel was fully booked, but they managed to find us a room and a few added extras as it was our honeymoon. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, the service is the best I have ever experienced in Melbourne.

We have travelled extensively throughout Europe, Asia and the United States and the service at The Westin Melbourne delivered on our expectations. I am really impressed by the little thoughtful things. For example, as we had to bring part of our bridal gear, my wife had only removed 100's of pins for her hair late in the night. The next day, housekeeping tidied them up for her. Nothing big, just attention to detail, one less thing to worry about.

The rooms are immaculate. The bed is TRULY heavenly and the amenities first class.Room service food was above average, and we were invited to a Cup Day brunch compliments of the hotel - food was incredible!

Great location at this fully featured hotel - only 50m from Flinders Street station and Federation Square. Trams at your doorstop. Would be amazing location for tourists who wish to explore our great city.

My new wife and I can not rave enough about The Westin, and I can assure you we will be back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
WestinMel, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear Adrian and Susie. Congratulations on your recent nuptials. We are delighted we were able to assist with a special stay for your honeymoon and it was certainly great timing for you to attend our Melbourne Cup Day Brunch. We pride ourselves on providing personal, instinctive service and it is so pleasing you enjoyed a fulfilling experience in this way. Thank you for providing such inspiring feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne. Be well.

1,007 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

As i said in my Westin Sydney review, Westin Melbourne is another one of the best SPG hotels we have stayed at- and we have stayed at a lot of SPG hotels. Sitting in our room as I write this on our last day here. Wonderful, friendly, most polite and patient staff. It is in the center of it all as well- with 5-15 minute walk to major attractions and areas.. Rooms are nice and cozy, with large bathrooms, plenty of closet space, and large workdesk. The internet is decent, and although not wireless, is still fast enough to get work done.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Jason. We are pleased to provide a refreshing experience for a loyal Starwood Preferred Guest member. Regarding internet access, we are currently in the process of confirming wireless internet for our guest rooms. Until then, internet is available by high speed broadband wired access or wireless router. We also provide complimentary wireless access in our Business Centre and Lobby Lounge. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Be well.
Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011 via mobile

I spend half of my year in hotels (usually Starwood Hotels). The Westin is my hotel of choice in Melbourne. It is consistently welcoming and rewarding. If every 5star hotel gave the kind of attention to detail and genuine service that The Westin gives there would be lots more happy guests and less disgruntled ones!

Staff awesome! Place awesome! Bedrooms awesome!

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for continuing to stay with the Westin. We sincerely value your loyalty and are delighted to provide a warm welcome when you are away from home. Thank you for your special comments - we are pleased you enjoy our personal service and luxurious facilities. Be well.
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Where do I start? Great location in the middle of melbourne. We had the corner spa studio, and wow, very impressive. This room has double glazed windows so we hardly heard a sound. Could not even hear the trams. This was a spectacular surprise for me for our 23rd wedding anniversary. All the staff were pleasant especially the staff in the Martini Bar . They were very professional when having to deal with loud and obnoxious patrons at the bar. would come back here again for a special occasion as it is too expensive for just a place to stay when on a shopping trip with the girls. Would like to see SPG program offer discounts more often than they do now. I would stay with them more often if they did.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
WestinMel, Manager at The Westin Melbourne, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. Our Westin Spa Studio’s are certainly a refreshingly distinctive room style and ideal for a special occasion. We are pleased you also experienced the personal service Westin is renowned for. For future visits to the city, we would suggest you review the Hotel Offers page of our website, which are continually refreshed with seasonal packages. Be well.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I like this hotel. But Melbourne is one of the few places where I'll stay in a competitors hotel, even though there is a good and well located Starwood property in town.

The problem is that the Platinum benefits in this hotel aren't good enough. In fact they expose weaknesses in the SPG scheme compared with Hilton HHonors. Because there is no Executive lounge, there is no free breakfast and no evening cocktail hour for Platinum members. Other SPG hotels without a lounge that I've stayed in, will compensate by providing complementary breakfast in the restaurant and drinks in the bar. But not this one. I got a one category room upgrade and a 4pm check-out - which isn’t enough to make me want to stay in the Westin next time I'm Melbourne.

The room was very nice. It was spacious and, as in all Westins I've stayed in, the bed was exceptionally comfortable. The bathroom was excellent too but, unfortunately, the toilet wasn't clean - so I had to have housekeeping come and deal with that. Not the end of the world, but not what you would expect in a luxury property. Sadly, no apology either.

An oddity in the room was that the only electrical outlets were right at the bottom of the walls. So I had to put the kettle on the floor when I made a hot drink.

Location is great.

I'll certainly check the room price next time I stay in Melbourne but this property won’t be at the top of my list.

Room Tip: Views seem to be restricted in some rooms, so worth asking at check-in.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your feedback regarding our Starwood Preferred Guest program. We will certainly take your comments on board, however as a boutique-style hotel with no Executive lounge, it can be difficult to meet certain requirements of the program. Please also rest assured we take cleanliness very seriously and we sincerely apologise if the bathroom was not refreshed sufficiently. We hope you reconsider staying with us in the future so we may have the opportunity to provide a more distinctive Westin experience. Be well.
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Just arrived home to my 3 darling little boys after an AMAZING stay at what is now - my favourite hotel. Hubby and I were celebrating our 10 yr wedding anniversary and I was absolutley blown away by everything The Westin had to offer and everything they did for us. It began with valet parking and a wonderful warm welcome by two staff members at the entrance, showing us to the check-in desk and wishing us a great stay. It followed by even more happy, fresh, welcoming staff at check-in (super fast!) and got just that little better when we opened the door to see a HUGE bunch of amazing flowers on the bed from hubby (with a little help from Westin staff) The room - a collins street city view room- was stylish, divine, so comfortable and fresh and clean. The bed was AMAZING and the bathroom just beautiful with it's soft lighting and large shower and bath. We had a cocktail in Martini lounge and some duck pate and soughdough.. fantastic! - Then on to the most amazing dinner I have ever had, with once again truley happy, attentitive welcoming staff. Alegro Restaurant made our wedding anniversary night one to remember by presenting us with a chocolate piped "happy anniversary" with a chocolate man and lady and some divine chocolates on the side! I could not believe how thoughtful the busy kitchen staff were. After dinner we rolled back to our room for a hot bath and a chai tea and cheese platter from room service whilst watching the twinkling lights of the city. After a refreshing sleep on the heavenly bed ... It seriously is a heavenly bed! - we headed to the wellness centre for a workout, beautiful room and very well equipt. We then headed off to our much anticipated buffet breakfast ... It did not disapoint, we had a wonderful breakfast with a terrific selection of everything. I adored all the fresh juices and the lovely chefs smiling and wishing me a good morning, whilst whipping up my favourite style of egg. The Westin's emphasis is on fresh healthy super foods and as hubby and I love to eat well we were thilled by the offerings. Over all we had the most amazing , memorable experience at the Westin, not only is the Hotel itself a beautiful classy stylish place, it is also right in the heart of the city - shopping, transport, restaurants, cafes and so much more right at your door! As a very busy tired mum of three very active little boys I want to thank everyone at The Westin for making our stay an AMAZING one, I can't wait till we can come back again xx

Room Tip: Unfortunatley our city view room was a little noisy day and night when we stayed due to a protest ju...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westin for your special occasion and for taking the time to provide such detailed comments on your fulfilling experience. We are thrilled you enjoyed our luxurious facilities, Heavenly® Beds and central location. Thank you also for your delightful feedback regarding your dining experiences, this will certainly be shared with the food and beverage team as inspiration to continue providing personal, distinctive service. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back for another special stay in the not too distant future.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011 via mobile

Stayed at the westin for 3 nights . It has a great central location close to great restaurants , shops and all the major attractions. The attitude of the staff was amazing and were always helpful and friendly. Nothing was ever too much trouble and a smile and warm welcome was always on show no matter what time of day or night. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Reviewer. We are delighted you enjoyed our convenient location and personal, instinctive service. It is inspiring you are willing to share your experience and recommend us to others. Thank you and be well.

Been to The Westin Melbourne? Share your experiences!