“Lyall Hotel and Spa” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lyall Hotel and Spa

Save Saved
You added Lyall Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Lyall Hotel and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Murphy St | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia   |
Ranked #30 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Lyall Hotel and Spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Had the great pleasure of staying at the Lyall Hotel and Spa last week for a 3 day celebration for my 50th Birthday with a friend. We both really enjoyed our stay. Our two bed suite was fabulous and complimentary bottle of champagne certainly got us off to a good start after our journey from Sydney. The hotel itself is quaint, quiet and beautiful. Very handy near South Yarra Station and the #8 Tram for the city and St Kilda. We both had a treatment at the Spa which was lovely. We only eat breakfast there on the last morning which was delicious but now wish we had eaten there for lunch or dinner once of twice too. Special shout out to Brian who was behind the desk at 1am when we got in late one night blessing us with chicken sandwiches and a smile

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Debra,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Lyall Hotel and Spa for your special birthday celebration.
We are delighted that you had such a great time and enjoyed the hotel and spa experience.

Thank you for taking the time to comment and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Hotelier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
chrisCheshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Fresh food, efficient waiter service, lovely crisp tablecloths. A mini suite, a balcony (& we were ground floor). Glass of champagne on the terrace. Staff couldn't be more helpful. All in all a positive experience.

Room Tip: Ask the staff
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Chris,

We are delighted that you took the time to comment on your recent
stay at The Lyall and that you had a positive experience.
We are glad that you were able to enjoy our suites with balconies,
good food and service and champagne on the terrace.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Melbourne and
The Lyall Hotel and Spa.

With kind regards
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here many times as the standards never change. This could be Melbourne ritz Carlton . My only complaint is a lack of fresh air and the room service needs addressing as sometimes it can be tardy. All in all a good place to stay

• Stayed December 2012
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments about The Lyall.

We are so happy that you feel that The Lyall it is one of Melbourne's better places to stay.

I have addressed the issue of room service as you mentioned.

In relation to the lack of fresh air, I am a little confused as we are one of the few Melbourne
hotels with opening windows and balconies. We also have indiividual climate control in each
suite so please do let us know if you have a problem working this on your next visit.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments and we look forward to welcoming
you on your next visit.

With kind regards
Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I found The Lyall via a quick internet search for hotels with balconies across Melbourne CBD as to me there's nothing worse than not having fresh air. As soon as you look at The Lyall's website you know you're in for something a bit beyond the average room at a large chain hotel. And that's what I love ~ somewhere a bit different, a bit unique and more personalised. And that is exactly what we got. There is no doubt The Lyall is worth every single award it's received.

Our experience started upon email enquiry - I received a response back very quickly from Paige, who guided us throughout our experience at The Lyall. She took all the time needed to answer all of my questions (and being in the industry myself, I had a few!) and went above and beyond to ensure our stay (which was booked quite last minute) was smooth, relaxing and enjoyable.

And that is was. It is a brilliant little boutique hotel - I could not fault anything about the room, the service, the location - for us, it ticked every box. There is no doubt we have found a "home away from home" and we are looking forward to many more visits to The Lyall. Thank you once again to Paige and all of the team.

Room Tip: 1) Make sure you check out the pillow menu :) 2) If you are not a fan of street noise (not that t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for writing such a glowing review and we are delighted that you were
so pleased with your choice of hotel and experience during your stay.

It is such a bonus to have a balcony in addition to your room space and of course, to be able to open your security locked balcony doors for fresh air ensures a more restful sleep.

Individualising our guest's stay is our forte, thank you for mentioniing our personalised service.
Being a small hotel (just 40 suites) means that we actually do get to know our guests and their preferences which is why our we have a high return guest ratio.

I have passed on your review to Paige and the team and thank you once again for taking the
time to share your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Lyall very soon.

Laguna Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This was a perfect place to stay at the end of a 2.5 week long trip. The owners & staff were amazing and the rooms have a home-like feel. They even delivered down pillows to us immediately when we found hypo-allergenic pillows on the bed. It was nice to sit on the couch and watch a movie while doing a load of laundry. The lobby and champagne bar are both great places to pass some time, unwinding. I would undoubtedly stay here again next time I am in Melbourne.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at The Lyall.
I agree, its nice to have some home-like comforts when traveling for a period of time.
Also glad that you liked our staff and had time to enjoy The Lyall Champagne Bar.
We really appreciate your comments and hope that we can welcome you back in the
near future.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have stayed here many times over the years. I love the location and the size of the rooms (seperate bedroom and kitchenette) and the ability to open a window to avoid constant air-con as all feature at least a small balconette.

The staff are warm and couldn't do more to make you feel welcome - very much creating a sense of home from home.

My only gripe is the room service. I just wish there was either more choice from within the hotel itself or there was a system to dial in from some of the many restaurants in the area. The food available is ok - I think they manage without a full kitchen. But when you are here for work it is nice to order sonething fresh rather than from a menu that seens designed to be "prepped" rather than cooked by multi-tasking staff. Obviously if you are travelling for pleasure there are many great restaurants and cafes in the area.

That said I will be back hence my 4 stars.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WithThanks, Owner at Lyall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Voyages27,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for TripAdvisor.
I agree, it is important to have fresh air when travelling and nice to be
able to enjoy the outside on a balcany.

In relation to our menu, we are in the process of updating the menu at
the moment. It is a lengthy process but I aim to have it complete in a few
weeks. Please do email me if you would like to make some suggestions.
We can and do infact order from local restaurants for guests adding
more variety during a longer stay so please don't hesitate
to ask reception once you have exhausted our new menu.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
pr@thelyall.com
Western Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is may fifth or sixth stay at this hotel, I would not stay anywhere else. The moment you step into the hotel the staff are excellent. The reception staff, housekeeping and maintenance ( last time I broke their washing machine, yes washing machine ) are always pleasant, helpful and reliable.

The room has large windows, four in our room that are more like doors that open for fresh air, and access to a balcony. The room is large and clean with seperate kitchenette and lounge room., all exceptionally comfortable and well maintained. The bathroom has heated floors, the best, a separate shower and bath. My only complaint in my last visit were the pillows, if I had read the information booklet I would have seen the pillow menu, this time I have my wonderful feather pillows!

Several time we asked for a clean at a specific time and they were there in five minutes, the turn down service is as reliable. Room service arrived within 10 minutes each time we ordered it and it was simple and always fresh.

Ask for a dining location and their advise is great!

Another wonderful stay here, and I will be back for my next visit.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 209 perfect!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Marlzi,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about The Lyall on TripAdvisor.
We are so pleased that you like the service and what we offer here at The Lyall.
Also glad that you discovered the pillow menu to personalise your sleeping
preferences.
Please do say hello on your next visit and we look forward to welcoming you
back in the near future.

Hotelier

Been to Lyall Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!