I had a poor experience up until arrival on the day I checked in. I left home at 0430 and was dropped at Sydney Airport only to have the Virgin Australia check-in system fail. We had to shift counters for a manual check-in and I was 4 from the front of the queue when staff advised photo-id was required. It was only then that I realised I had left my wallet at home due to changing the suit I wore. Virgin staff were fine but the flight was delayed over two hours resulting from the manual check-in procedures being used. Meant my arrival in Melbourne was later than expected and with little cash I was in some difficulty. However, I was able to pay for a SkyBus ticket online and the helpful staff printed a ticket for ease of use. I was then able to use the free shuttle to be dropped off at the Stamford Plaza. I was able to drop my bag off, received directions to the nearest branch of my bank, and was able to withdraw sufficient funds for routine expenses.
On arrival back at the hotel to check in, I then encountered difficulties because I had used a third party to book, and photo-id was required. It was difficult to get around this requirement. However, I must admit that the reception staff, Cecila, and the On-duty Manager, Shahid, were lifesavers. While it took a little, and it required me getting sufficient cash from the bank to pay for my stay, a 10 minute delay, I was then able to begin to relax. My suite was very pleasant and well appointed, although I spent little time other than showering and sleeping. I was able to dine-out with friends and family and regale them with the day from hell, but also the assistance of a number of people that restored my faith in humanity.
I was attending a conference at the Convention Centre but was able to purchase a Myki ticket, at reasonable cost, and found both trains and trams easy to use. The nearby Parliament station for the trains, and there was a tram stop in Collins Street that allowed easy access to the Convention Centre without difficulty. It was about a 30 minute walk otherwise and I also found the stroll through the Melbourne CBD quite pleasant - well, moreso than the weather as a major cold front did cause some strong wind damage to vegetation.
So, all up, I found the hotel and staff more than pleasant, and while I had a less than perfect arrival the balance of my experience was positive and my check-out was efficient.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stamford Plaza Melbourne is a leading all-suite 5 Star Melbourne CBD hotel. Located at the "Paris" end of Little Collins Street, Stamford Plaza Melbourne is the ideal choice for guests looking for quality accommodation in Melbourne's central business district. Set amongst theatres, renowned restaurants, fashion boutiques and Melbourne's finest attractions, guests can relax in the boutique surroundings whilst immersing themselves in the city's vibrant culture. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from Flinders Street station and Federation Square and a 25 minute drive from Tullamarine Airport. Your home away from home, the hotel's elegantly appointed 283 suites are a sanctuary with a luxurious sense of space and comfort. Each suite contains a kitchen with cooking facilities, spacious lounge and dining areas and separate bedroom/s with bath spa en-suite. Guests can enjoy the newly refurbished pool featuring sleek new furnishings, a hydration station, spa and sauna facilities, a recently refurbished gym that is well-equipped with cardiovascular and weight training equipments. Services such as 24-hour reception, Concierge and room service, valet car parking and laundry, ensure a relaxing and fuss free stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Venere, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Stamford Plaza Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stamford Plaza Melbourne Hotel Melbourne
- Stamford Plaza Hotel Melbourne
- Melbourne Stamford Plaza Hotel