“Lovely but parking pricey!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Melbourne

You added Stamford Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Summer Saver $1 Breakfast
Ranked #35 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Victoria
“Lovely but parking pricey!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Stunning location. Lovely suite overlooking Little Collins St. Wee balconette a refreshing touch. Roomy for two people. Would stay again however paid dearly for parking. Service 24 hours. Friendly and non pretentious. A home away from home. New pool great however needs an open air option added for summer. No remote for Spa TV was disappointing...nor was there any hygenic guest headphones avail in Gym.

• Stayed January 2014
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear Bexnarcher,
It sounds like you had a great weekend and made the most of the hotel’s facilities and location. We have since restocked our supply of headphones for use in the gym and I apologise for this oversight. I’m so pleased you enjoyed our recently re-opened pool and spa facility. In the warmer weather we are able to open to the retractable roof to allow for some roof top open air swimming and relaxing, it really is great. We also greatly appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back to your new “home away from home” soon.
Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed at Stamford just before christmas. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The only thing that was a bit disappointing was the view - we did expect to overlook beautiful Melbourne as we were on the 8th floor but all we could see was the next high building and beautiful brick walls. However the location is brilliant and rooms very comfortable. It is a bit pricy (e.g. Movie $19) but I guess that comes with being a 5 star rated Hotel... We certainly would have loved staying a bit longer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear lovelife91,
Thanks for reviewing your most recent stay and I am so pleased you enjoyed your pre-Christmas visit to Melbourne. It is true that our central city location limits the view from some of our suites, we feel our prime location within the heart of Melbourne certainly makes up for this and I am pleased you would agree. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and don’t forget to look out for our “Advanced Purchase” special rates for that coveted longer visit.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I booked direct with the Stamford online for the price of $159 for a twin room on New Years only to realise this was an error of the hotel, as being New Years it should have been a lot more. Regardless they honored this as it was an error on their part (how could they not as I booked and paid directly through their website). I have stayed at most if not all 5 star hotels in Melbourne and every time asked for a room away from the lift. I have always been accommodated. The Stamford front desk staff were just as accommodating to the point of moving me and ensuring I had a room I was happy with. Now one would think that is great but unfortunately the "duty manager" didn't feel the same way. One would think the "duty manager's" service would exceed the young front desk staff, but this was not the case. I received a very direct and cold phone call from the duty manager. He wanted to know the name and description of the person who moved me, and why did he move me and how I was upgraded etc. He claimed it was for his records but I have stayed in enough hotels to know that this was not the case. I found him to be unprofessional, inconsiderate and almost interrogating...I was quite insulted as I felt the underlying issue was he just did not believe I was entitled to anything due to the cost of the room I paid (due to their booking fee error and not mine). The front desk staff manners are far beyond that of the duty manager and perhaps he could learn something from them. Regardless of what someone pays for a room they are still clients and should not be discriminated against or punished for the hotels errors. More importantly nor should the front desk staff be reprimanded for trying to accommodate a client. Putting that aside the two bedroom suite was large, had enough light only due to the fact it was a corner room. The hotel is dated and dull in appearance but extremely clean and that should count for more. Harry's Bar is relaxing. The beds are a little hard for me but some would like that. All in all unfortunately I will not return to this hotel due to the duty manager's philosophy of not caring about clients but just the hotels pocket. I stay at Melbourne hotels regularly as it provides quiet time away with my husband and myself. Respect and good customer service means more to me regardless of the cost of a hotel or how pretty it looks. So if you feel the same don't bother with the Stamford, as the manager himself who is supposed to be 'the go to person" when you have a problem will not help you unless he thinks it is worth it to him. Happy New Year.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room as it provides more light. Also a higher floor as it is noisy at the lower le...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl U, Executive Assistant Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear mspotter74,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback following your recent stay at The Stamford Plaza Melbourne. We are pleased that you enjoyed the upgrade to one of our spacious two bedrooms suite’s and Harry’s Bar, as well as the friendliness of the Front Desk staff.
Please be advised that we are progressively completing a multimillion dollar hotel upgrade. The brand new open roof pool/spa and our top notch fitness facilities were recently re-opened. We are also about to inaugurate a brand new Presidential suite.
We take any shortcomings in our service standards very seriously and your comment regarding the Duty Manager will be shared with the team member and the Department head concerned. We do hope to welcome you back to The Stamford Plaza Melbourne in the future and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Fabien Dewelle
Executive Assistant Manager
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I think the hotel is so-so. 1) the hotel locates in the middle of a block, thus, there is no natural light in day time. I stayed in 13th out of the top floor of 16th. only slim of sun light came in in the day. 2) there is a strange smell at the lobby of west side, making me not thinking of dine out or even having drinks out there. 3) Internet: $25 a day, otherwise pay by minutes! Making me wonder what age does the hotel management thinks it is.

However, waiters and front desk are nice. (btw, i wouldn't take their recommendations for restaurants)

I wouldn't recommend anyone lives there.

sorry for the negative review, but only want to some downsides of it. Thanks!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear muzhil,
It is disappointing to read that your stay did not meet your expectations in the areas you have outlined. Our prime location at the Paris End of the city ensures we are surrounded by fantastic restaurants, boutiques and theatres, however this does also mean we are in close proximity to other buildings which does limit natural light to some areas of the hotel. I am sorry that our restaurant recommendations were not to your liking and would be very grateful to gain some further information as this is not the feedback we are accustomed to receiving. We want our guests to enjoy Melbourne to it’s fullest and if you have a few minutes spare I would greatly appreciate the chance to learn more about your experience, please feel free to contact me on 03 9659 1178 or karlunterfrauner@spm.stamford.com.au
Likewise should you reconsider and choose to stay with us again, I would be delighted to oversee your arrangements personally.
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here for 3 nights over the holiday period which we largely enjoyed. The room was well appointed but prob a little dated. Central which is handy. Found the bed and pillows a bit too soft. Excellent service though with the concierge assisting me in locating and hailing a taxi taking my wife to a city hospital when she woke with bad back pains.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear MRfromNewcastle,
Thank you for your positive feedback and for highlighting the exceptional service you experienced during your stay. I do hope your wife has since made a full recovery and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you both back again soon.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Have stayed in a few Melbourne hotels over the years, but this one felt more like a comfy apartment. Warm, welcoming interiors. Set it apart from other bland, modern interiors you usually get in hotels. Service good, breakfast and coffee good too. A nice surprise, and would be happy to stay again. Only downside was older bathroom with awkward swinging door over bath for shower.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nadine W,
It is such a great compliment when our guests describe Stamford Plaza Melbourne as having the comforts and feeling of a home away from home. We strive to surprise and delight our guests with both our service and facilities and I’m so proud of the efforts made by the entire team of staff to provide this for you. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Melbourne.
Wodonga, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed at the Stamford Plaza Melbourne for one night just before Christmas 2013. I stayed with a six year old child and found everyone at the hotel, from the valet parking, the concierge (who lent us an umbrella!), the reception staff (who found us a candy cane!), the helpful porters who carried all our bags to our room and the room service staff to be very helpful and friendly. The room itself was spacious and comfortable. I would note that in the twin 'one bedroom' the room is l-shaped but the opening between the bed room area and the living area is large and has no door so there is nothing to block noise or light between the two but the room is large enough to work around this if you are looking for one person to have a good sleep while the other is still up and about. The bathroom was small (making space for the extra living space!) but functional and the spa bath was a treat. The room service was accommodating of changes to kids meals and both the kids and the adults meals were excellent quality. The deal on the hotel's website whereby full buffet breakfast was included was excellent value and more than competitive when compared with indirect on-line booking options. I am looking forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: I requested and was provided with a higher floor and found it quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear AngLM,
I am thrilled that we were able to provide such a comfortable and memorable trip away for you and your family. Spacious, well appointed suites, fantastic facilities including our newly re-opened pool facility and service that is exceptional in every sense is what we aim to provide – I’m pleased you experienced each of these and more. Providing value for money is also important to us and as you have mentioned our most competitive rates can be achieved when booking with us directly on our website or through our reservations team. We hope you’ll all be back for another great value five star stay, in the not too distant future.
Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Been to Stamford Plaza Melbourne? Share your experiences!