“Home away from home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Melbourne

You added Stamford Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Summer Saver $1 Breakfast
Ranked #33 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Launceston, Australia
“Home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed in two bedroom apartment on a Friday night. Very roomy and all conveniences of home plus lcd in each room. Concierge and Front desk staff are friendly and very helpful. Room was clean. Some of the room's fixtures are in need of refurbishment but it is not a deal breaker. Will stay here again. Lcated in the Paris end of Little Collins Street. Close to city, many great restaurants nearby, trams only a few minutes away. Ideal. On 14th floor which should have been quite but roadworks /traffic backing noise in Alfred Place was a bit annoying in early hours of morning but really that is outside hotel's control.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Jana195,

It is the best compliment when our guests describe Stamford Plaza Melbourne as a home away from home, it conjures up images of comfort, relaxation and contentedness. We’re thrilled to have provided these things through our professional service and beautiful suites and we very much look forward to welcoming you back for more of the same in the near future.

Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We very recently stayed in the Stamford Plaza in Melbourne.

I had stayed in the Brisbane Stamford Plaza before, and it was a very nice hotel.

In the case of our Melbourhe stay, I had booked the 'Romance and Seduction Package' via wotif.com.

The package included scattered rose petals, romantic music, Champagne, a personalised bottle of wine, chocolate-dipped strawberries and canapes, along with in-suite buffet breakfast and a midday checkout.

The day before checkin, the hotel called to confirm our arrival time, as a bubble bath had been run and was awaiting us.

When checking in, we were informed that we had been upgraded from a queen room to a king suite with a balcony overlooking the interior of the hotel. That was altogether unexpected, and a pleasant surprise.

The service was excellent and professional, as can be expected in such a hotel.

Upon arriving in our room, it was fitted out beautifully, and was a large, spacious suite with comfortable furniture and all the goodies the package had promised.

It marked the start of a very significant trip.

I found the bathroom rather small, and the shower and spa bath were combined; but otherwise the facilities were excellent. The Bvlgari bathroom products also added a nice touch.

On the morning of our departure we ordered in-suite breakfast, which arrived much more promptly than expected. It was nice to sit on our balcony in the fluffy bathrobes dining on in-suite breakfast as though we were special guests.

All of the hotel staff with whom we dealt were very polite and professional, and made our short stay very pleasant.

The hotel is also positioned quite well on Little Collins St, with Southbank and much of the Melbourne CBD being a five-to-ten-minute stroll.

Overall, the Stamford Plaza in Melbourne provided a very pleasant stay at a very inexpensive price for what was included. The price of the Moët & Chandon alone was at least a quarter of the price of our package.

Having stayed twice in Stamford Plaza hotels, I'd thoroughly recommend the Melbourne hotel, where the service, facilities, location and experience were all excellent.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Xenedis,
Thank you for highlighting the special features of our Romance & Seduction package, I am so pleased that your experience was a glowing example of why it is one of our most popular accommodation options. It’s always a pleasure to welcome guests from the greater Stamford family and we’re thrilled to have provided you such fond memories. We greatly appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Melbourne.
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We recently stayed for 4 nights and had a fantastic time in Melbourne. A big part of that satifaction was being able to access the CBD so easily from the hotel and then have a big comfortable space to come back to at the end of a busy day.
The staff at check in were very professional, friendly and made us feel welcome.
The room was clean, spacious and had everything we needed.
It was unfortunate that the pool was out of order as this was a big reason as to why we booked the hotel as I was looking forward to having a swim with my young daughter. We were told we could use the pool at the hotel down the street twice during our stay and the Stamford would reimburse us for the cost, however I didn't take them up on this offer.
We'll certainly consider staying in this hotel again, but will be sure to check that all of the advertised amenities are available before booking.
All in all a lovely hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Chris K,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Stamford Plaza Melbourne. I am thrilled you found our suites relaxing and comfortable after a long day’s sightseeing. The spaciousness of our suites, which offer separate lounge and sleeping areas, certainly provide an extra level of comfort. I’m thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you all back for more of the same in the future.
brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed recently for 3 nights and although the room was booked some months ago we checked in with great hesitation as we had read some very mixed reviews on TA. I'm glad to say everything was perfect for our stay from the moment we arrived. We were greeted by friendly staff who personally escorted us to our room with the luggage and we were contacted by the Duty Manager who wanted to know if our room was ok. We found the rooms to be clean, the furnishings in the classic style and the room (ours on the 12th floor of the tower) very quiet. We ordered from the pillow menu and the chosen pillow was delivered within 10 minutes - very impressive. The consierge's advice and directions were most helpful on the few occasions we had questions. Although we didn't have breakfast at the hotel during our stay as there are so many great places in Melbourne to eat out at, we did spend time in Harry's bar & had drinks at the end of a long day and thought it was great.
All in all we had no complaints - yes, the gold from the bathroom taps is worn off in places - so what !. The location is fabulous, the rooms very comfortable and the service was friendly and efficient.
Thanks Karl and the team for an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: request a quiet room on a high floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Pinkzinc,
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and found that Stamford Plaza Melbourne offered all you were looking for in a hotel. We take great pride in our professional service and the presentation of our suites and facilities and I am very pleased that you found each of these to a high standard. Welcome to the Stamford Family and we look forward to welcoming you back for another exceptional stay next time you visit Melbourne.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

We spent 6 nights at the Stamford. Service was excellent. The room was clean and we'll maintained. I had two concerns. I was attracted to the hotel for two reasons. One was the indoor pool. The other was the spa bath. The pool we discovered on arrival was closed for maintenance until Xmas. The spa bath / shower was very deep. The first night I got into the bath but could not get out without assistance. So much for the spa. Getting me out of the shower also required assistance as I have a mobility disability. At no time in the literature about the hotel was there a warning about the shower or spa. If I had been there alone I would have been in big trouble.
I was also disappointed that there was no notice given about the closure of the pool on booking the room.
Please management be open and accountable to prospective clientele. I could not go back on my own regardless on how nice the service, the cleanliness or the personalised pillows. Very good overall but disappointing in the areas discussed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sherry C,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and for noting the friendliness of our staff and the high standards of our suites. I’m also pleased that you were able to make use of our pillow menu; our selection of pillows certainly enhances our already comfortable beds and makes for a truly restful sleep. I am very sorry for the disappointment caused by the pool area being inaccessible as a result of the unplanned maintenance works. Should you reconsider staying with us in the future I would like to advise that we do have a small number of suites which offer easier access including a walk in shower. We would be very happy to allocate one should it make your stay more comfortable, please contact our friendly reservations team so they may assist with the arrangements. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Thought it was a deal as purchased for $150 on WOTIF.COM one bedroom suite sunday night stay BUT found out after the fact that $45 for parking !!!! Total of $195-Waited 15 minutes to check in whilst clerk was busy doing his paperwork then he served someone else who pushed infront of me? I got the impression that perhaps lots of tour buses go thru this hotel because no real effort was made to welcome me. Hotel had amenities but pool closed ;( room was very cosy it was clean stylish and comfortable. No real hospitality to speak of - no smiles at check in or check out.Infact it was a 15 min wait in both experiences. Location was Ok at Paris end of Lt.Collins St however pillows were like a wad of cotton wool no neck support -spares were the same and doona kept falling off bed during the night as was so lightweight and thin it would slide off. Not hotel quality linen either.I didnt call and complain what were they going to do? I didnt even get a smile at check in as If they would care enough to fix this! Heating was tempramental and if that wasnt enough to irritate me sirens going off randomly thru the night certainy didnt help.Noisy neighborhood! Maybe cheap room was the WORST! For $195 could of gotten better value elsewhere.In my opinion a hotel is only as good as (a) its hospitality and (b) the sleep you get there. Broken sleep = no rest which is the LAST thing you want when ur travelling... speaking of costs $45 for VALET PARKING is crazy I dont care which number Lt Collins St your address is..even the Langham dont charge this much and they are in a much better league than this hotel. Nothing is more unacceptable when travelling than poor sleep quality. Grrr! when I was asked how was your stay and I said it could of been better and advised about poor linen road noise etc the clerk said "Oh ..well heres a discount coupon for breakfast in our restaurant "which I had already gotten upon checkin ( standard in welcome pack gee thanks mate I get to pay $25 for brekky instead of $32!) .I was hungry and TIRED so I headed to restaurant and was turned away "oh sorry brekky finished at 10:30"said with the first AND ONLY smile of my entire stay it was 11am- I dont know why the waitress just didnt say "bad luck sucker!"Because thats exactly HOW I felt. WOuld of been helpful of the clerk WHO checked me out to mention that brekky FINISHED half an hour ago when he gave me the brekky coupon when he didnt apologise for a poor nights sleep! Like I said no real hospitality here ZERO CARE FACTOR I wouldnt go back as no vibe -staff arent friendly AND they really dont care- its just a really "blah" hotel with no personality no hospitality and definately no class for $195 its overpriced AND its out of the entertainment and arts district ...next time Ill return to southbank plenty of serviced apts there= better value. Wont return and I doubt theyll even care. Oh and "spa bath" is a step in bath tub shower are they serious?? Dont bother.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear McGorgey,
Congratulations on being one of the lucky few to secure one of our fantastic suites at this heavily discounted rate. Parking is at a premium in the centre of Melbourne and our Valet Service fees are highly competitive for the area, these are also listed in the hotel details on the wotif website. It is a shame that you did not raise your concern prior to, or on your arrival, as we would have been very happy to assist in locating a self service car park nearby. I am sorry for the miscommunication with regards to the discount breakfast offer and will further investigate. I am also disappointed to read that you found our staff to be unfriendly; we have a great team with a strong hospitality focus and usually receive such positive comments about the personal service they provide. I will of course review your comments with the team as we receive all feedback constructively as a means to improving our service offering.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed 4 nights in a queen bed suite booked via wot if mystery deal. After reading other negative comments on trip advisor I was concerned the hotel would not be up to scratch. Fortunately the Stamford plaza was excellent. Our queen bed suite was very spacious and provided loads of room to lounge and relax. The bathroom was small but certainly adequate. The housekeeping service could not be faulted as was the concierge service.

The best aspect of the hotel was the location in little Collins street, right in the heart of designer shops and so close to everything Melbourne CBD has to offer. We did a three hour walking tour on the first day as well through "I'm free walking tours" which was excellent. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Tessietucker,
Thanks so much for your glowing review, we’re really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and are already looking forward to a return visit. In this business the comfort and satisfaction of our guests is our main priority and we have many measures in place to ensure these are met across all departments. Thanks for the tip on the walking tour too, it certainly sounds like a great way to see the sights of this wonderful city.
Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Been to Stamford Plaza Melbourne? Share your experiences!