“Great hotel in a good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Stamford Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Winter Getaway Specials
Ranked #34 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Great hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

It was a great hotel with standard features and in a good location to the shops/cafes/restaurants.

Staff were very friendly, but the in-room food we ordered wasn't the best. Rooms were neat and tidy and very spacious

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Nick A,

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed that we didn’t get it right with your room service meal and am very sorry for this drop in standard. If you would like to provide me with any further details with regards to your meal, I would be very grateful as it would assist our Executive Chef with his follow up. Please feel free to email me at karlunterfrauner@spm.stamford.coma.au, I would be very happy to hear from you as feedback such as yours allows us to identify areas of improvement. Thank you for noting that all other aspects of your stay were to your liking and I hope we can look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

1,194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely experience the location is great close to many great restaurants and bars. Staff were wonderful very welcoming and extremely helpful. Definitely will be back for the next Melbourne visit.

• Stayed May 2013
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Scannaz,
Sounds as though you had a fabulous weekend in Melbourne and that the Stamford really contributed to the overall experience. If you love great food, make sure you try one of our Magnificent 7 Burgers on your next visit, you won’t be sorry! We look forward to welcoming you back for another great stay soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

So many issues with this place. We stayed 2 weeks for a business trip.

Pros:
1) spacious bedroom, living room and bathroom
2) jetted tub was nice

Cons:
1) asked for baby cot and was brought a very old and with out cot with no padding and a lump in the middle. Asked for extra blankets to use as padding and was given a thin baby blanket. Ended up asking three times and using our own. Baby was so uncomfortable that he slept with us instead.
2) housekeeping brought our requested kitchen supplies but they were all dirty. Had to request another set.
3) service is very slow/non existing. Closet for squeaks so it would wake the kids up when we open it. Asked three times for it to be oiled and ended up doing it ourselves with cooking oil.
4) room was next to emergency exit which to us means no opening. We were wrong as the staff uses it repeatedly day and night. They would bang the door open and close again waking our kids at night and day naps.
5) pool was dirty! Hair floating in the water, tiles were slimy and molded, walls were pealing from water damage or just plain neglect.
6) guest laundry was nice except the machines are old
7)housekeeping is a hit and miss as some would clean the room thoroughly while others did bare minimum and left garbage and crumbs all over the carpet.

Would never stay again. Have stayed in 3 star hotels in Asia with better service and amenities.

• Stayed May 2013
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear castingshadows,

I am terribly sorry to read of the shortcomings you experienced throughout your stay. I will personally follow up these matters with the relevant department heads as this is certainly not the standard you should expect from this hotel. I would be very grateful if you could provide me with further details of your stay, such as your room number and stay dates, to assist me with the appropriate follow up, if you could contact me on karlunterfrauner@spm.stamford.com.au
I would be very appreciative. The comfort of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and I am very sorry for the drop in standard on this occasion.

Whilst you have indicated you would not stay again, I would be very thankful for the opportunity to show that we are capable of exceeding your expectations in all areas. Should you reconsider, I would like to personally oversee any booking arrangements you may have. Please contact me via email or 03 9659 1178 so I may assist you from the onset and ensure your stay is as expected from a Stamford hotel.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I was extremely impressed with Stamford Plaza when I visited last May, and this was in fact during a time of huge construction for the hotel, so I am sure it is even more brilliant by now! The reception people are beautiful, and the breakfast is very nice as well (i was completely comfortable eating by myself as there were lots of other business people eating alone there too, and no yelling children!).
when I found my room and entered, I found my name on the TV, and thought that the personal welcome message was a nice touch. The couch is super comfortable, and the bed is heaven. I also enjoyed the golden/marble bathroom.

I ordered room service because I was on holiday from the Gold Coast at the time and not used to the cold! Hence I did not wish to venture out to find food at 8pm at night. The pizza and chocolate brownie really hit the spot! ;-)

I would insist that if people were choosing between this hotel and another to stay here, as you really do feel taken care of and everything is just right!

Room Tip: Unfortunately this was a "mystery hotel" for me, and so I did not get a choice in the room...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear ClaireSkewes,
I hope you’ll have an opportunity to come back soon and see the changes we’ve made to our lobby and gym – they both look fantastic. Thank you for the great compliments on the service you received throughout your stay, our staff strive to go above and beyond to ensure the comfort & satisfaction of our guests and I’m very happy you found this to be true. Should you be planning a return visit soon, be sure to check out our Winter Warmer special featuring the option to enjoy our delicious breakfast buffet in Harry’s Restaurant for only $1 per person, visit our website or contact our friendly reservations team for more information. We hope to see you again soon.
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Large, spacious suite. Very comfortable and clean. Central location, handy to everything. The concierge service was excellent. Room service served up hot, delicious fare. The in room spa was bliss. Gym and indoor pool were welcome additions.
Only comment was if street noise is an issue for you, request a room on a higher floor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear triptrick_10,
Thanks for your well rounded review, we really appreciate your positive comments and are so happy you found our suites spacious and comfortable. A delicious warming meal in the comfort of your own suite followed by a soothing spa, is just what you’ll need after exploring Melbourne on a winter’s day. We look forward to welcoming you back for another great stay in the not too distant future.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We arrived at the Stamford Plaza Melbourne on the Skybus from the airport. Our check in was easy, and although we were there at 11am we were given an early checkin which was appreciated. We were also offered a room upgrade (for a price) which we declined. We were only there one night so didn't mind being in their smallest room.

The Queen room was plenty big enough, with a lounge area and kitchenette with microwave and large mini bar. There was an extra TV in the bedroom area also which was good. Everything was very clean and lovely, the only small complaint is that the bathroom is teeny tiny - everything gets a bit wet when you shower. Also, the light must be on a timer so kept turning itself off while we showered at night.

There is a bit of road noise at night - considering it was a Saturday night it wasn't too bad.

The location is good - we walked to Queen Victoria Markets and the mall, and also to the MCG. That was a long walk though, not sure I'd do that again! Fed Square is also close by.

Would definately stay again next time we're in Melbourne.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Antsuz78,

All our suites, including our introductory category, are spacious and offer a separate lounge area to bedroom and a kitchenette. It is this space along with high quality furnishings that make Stamford Plaza Melbourne not only convenient but also so comfortable, whether you’re staying for one night or one week. The walk from the MCG can sometimes feel long if you’re team wasn’t successful, however if you want to save your legs there is also the option of trains and trams right on our doorstep too – our Concierge team even has Myki’s passes available for purchase. Thanks very much for your review, we hope to see you again next time you’re in Melbourne.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My stay was very pleasant and the suite was comfortable and clean. I arrived to discover I had been upgraded - a first for me. Friendly staff helped. The Stamford acted promptly when I called to let them know I had left the power cable for my laptop behind.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Charles B,
It’s wonderful to read that the professional service provided by our team was evident even after your departure. I hope you enjoyed your upgrade and that you will be back for another comfortable stay soon.
Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Been to Stamford Plaza Melbourne? Share your experiences!