“Great stay although slightly short of five star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Stamford Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Winter Getaway Specials
Ranked #34 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“Great stay although slightly short of five star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

A friend & I stayed two nights in a twin room. The reception staff were great and check-in easy.
The room was spacious and really clean. We thought the minor finishing touches were missing for a five star stay though.

There was almost nothing complementary in the room apart from toiletries. My friend had forgotten a hairbrush but even a comb would have cost us extra. It would have been nice to have at least had some bottled water or chocolates complementary but evidently this isn't common in Australian hotels anymore.

To be really critical, the painting looked a little unfinished, one of the cushions needed repair, and the bathrobes were a little too worn and not soft. Disappointing given that I am looking for a nice one to buy and would have considered buying from the hotel but the ones in the room were not a good advertisement for their quality or comfort.

The breakfast buffet was really nice on the first morning, not a huge amount of choice but just enough of each type of thing to be sufficient. Service was fast and friendly.
The next morning was a horrible shock, there were no tables, we had to sit over in the bar. The waitress then uttered an exasperated sigh when asked for a latte rather than the 'make-your-own' coffee, which made my friends' hot chocolate request of an equal imposition (note you cannot make your own hot chocolate). They ran out of many cereals, only three types were left, had to wait for bowls and cutlery. The small toasting station had a large queue at times, and by the time you got around the hot food buffet, the first things on the plate were cold. Noted that the man at the egg station was really helpful and friendly despite the pressure.

We ate at the hotel restaurant for dinner. The menu is not large but there is something for everyone. The prices were very reasonable and the cheese platter surprisingly large for the price. Service was great although we note there were not many people that night. We also were given 20% off the bill with our card we were given on check-in.

Check-out was pretty bad. We waited in a queue for almost 15 minutes to checkout. I acknowledge that we checked out at 11am, being the end of check-out time, but they need to cater for this being busy. There is also express checkout available but as I had some queries on my bill, I did not want to use this option. I note that the staff were apologetic though and managed service with a smile despite the chaos at that time.

Overall, we would stay again but some work could be done on the finer things to feel like the five star hotel it is.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear psboll,
I’m sorry that we didn’t get it quite right in all areas however it is wonderful to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate your constructive comments and we will certainly use them as a basis for improvement. It is the attention to detail of the small things that can make a good hotel a fantastic one, and we want to be the best. I am sorry to hear of the slip in standard you experienced on your second breakfast and also the delay upon check out – although Sunday morning is a peak time, the level of service should remain high and I will further discuss your comments with the relevant department heads. We look forward to welcoming you back for another visit and hope you will notice the efforts to improvement we will have made.

1,224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at the Stamford Plaza for 2 nights celebrating our first wedding anniversary. We booked through Wotif and booked the Lazy Dayz Package for Friday night and the Romantic Package for the Saturday night, and we were not disappointed! From the moment we checked in, we were treated well (not like second class guests, how most hotels make you feel when booking through Wotif!) Check in was quick and easy and we were escorted to our suite.

We stayed in a one bedroom queen suite, which was nicely furnished but quite small. While the room itself was quite modern, the bathroom was a let down and could have used some refurbishing (shower over bath, what more can I say!) Other than the bathroom, we were happy enough with our room, it was clean and comfortable but not the standard we are used to.

The Lazy Dayz package included a half hour massage each, which we had just after we arrived. They use an external massage company, who was professional enough, but I did not really enjoy the massage. The room was too small to set the massage table up comfortably and they only did one at a time, so the other person was left sitting around waiting, which was quite awkward! After the massage, we had dinner in our suite, where the chef came up and cooked and served our entrée in our room (which was set up for fine dining). The entrée was not bad, but we did not get a choice, which I was pretty disappointed about (too bad if you don't like prawns!) We then ordered our mains and desserts from the menu which was bought up to us at a specified time. The food was good (steak cooked perfectly), the wine was good (included in the package) and the service was prompt and friendly. We finished off the night with popcorn and in house movies (which was also included in the package), making it a wonderful and relaxing night!

Saturday night we went out for dinner, but had booked the Romance package for that night. We came back to the hotel to romantic music playing, canapés and choc-dipped strawberries set up with sparkling wine on ice and rose petals scattered throughout the room, bed and bathroom (the spa bath was also drawn with bubbles). It was nice to walk into our room with it set up like this, but we were late back from the restaurant (an hour later than our specified time), so the canapés had been sitting for over an hour, so unfortunately we did not get to eat those. While it is a great package, I think it would work better having the guest call the hotel when they are on their way back, for them to bring up the canapés then, because people get held up and don't want to risk eating the canapés that have been sitting in a warm room for over an hour!

The next morning, our package included a cooked breakfast in our room, which unfortunately, was a massive let down of our stay. The food was cold, soggy and overcooked and was so bad I did not eat it. e would have much preferred to have brekky in the hotel restaurant, but were not given that choice - maybe something for the hotel to consider in the future. Check out was quick and easy and staff were all very friendly and helpful. The concierge went out of his way twice to help us and we felt we were treated very well (they even congratulated us on our anniversary)!

I highly applaud this hotel on their staff, always friendly, courteous and helpful. I would also highly recommend to book one of the packages, as it is a great deal; you will not be disappointed. Thank you for a wonderful stay for our first wedding anniversary! (Oh, and we also got personalised robes to take home and a personalised bottle of wine!) I would stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a one bedroom queen suite, which was quite small. If travelling on your own, it is fine...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Laura P,
Congratulations on your wedding anniversary and thank you for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us. What a wonderful weekend with the opportunity to enjoy not one but two of our fantastic packages. Your comments with regards to the massages have been well received and will be further reviewed by our management team, this experience should be as relaxing and enjoyable as possible and we appreciate your constructive comments. In terms of our Romance & Seduction package we arrange a pre-set time with our guests to prepare all the inclusions such as the canapés, warm drawn bath and scattered petals. I am sorry to hear that you were held up and could not enjoy your canapés, it’s a shame you were not able to let us know as we could have certainly postponed their delivery for you. I’m very disappointed to read that your breakfast was not up to standard and I sincerely apologise for this. Your comments will be shared with our Executive Chef for further follow up with his team. Your detailed feedback has been extremely valuable to us as it allows us to improve on our offerings and ensure a great stay for all our guests. Despite the shortcomings I am pleased to know above all you had a wonderful stay and a very special Anniversary – we hope to see you again at the same time next year – if not before.

Kind regards
Melbourne, VIC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed at the Stamford Plaza on a Saturday night in a 1 bedroom Queen Suite and we were very satisfied with our stay. The service was great from the vallet, concierge and reception staff and the hotel itself was very nice - I particularly liked the glass elevator.

I booked through Expedia and requested a room on the highest floor possible and they certainly delivered as we were on the 15th floor out of 16 in the west building. As most rooms seem to face their second building the view wasn't much to be desired but we did have a very small balcony which we could walk out on to see a bit of the city and Port Phillip Bay in the distance.

The rooms are a very good size compared to other hotels I have stayed in in Melbourne and I would be happy with it to stay for a few nights. I suppose the only slight negative I'd have to say about the rooms is there is no natural light coming through as we faced their other building so we had to have the lights on the whole time but not a major issue. I slept very well in the very comfy bed and the rooms are very quiet which I appreciated.

We paid $235 for one night, vallet parking and buffet breakfast (which was delicious and lots to choose from) which I think was good value for money considering you're in the heart of Melbourne and it was in a very convenient location for us.

Next time we stay in the city and need to be within walking distance to Bourke St Mall and Collins Street I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor possible to avoid hearing noise from the streets below.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Holden-Gal,
Excellent service from start to finish and all at a great value price certainly sets the tone for a great stay. Our comfortable beds guarantee a great night’s sleep and our tasty breakfast buffet will set you up for a busy day’s sightseeing or shopping. Thanks for such a positive review – we look forward to welcoming you back on your return.

tasmania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Our stay in a 2 bed/2 bathroom suite was very good. The 2nd bedroom was quite small - no room for 2 cases. Wardrobe tiny. Television sets in both bedrooms and one in lounge were appreciated and the beds were extremely comfortable.
The lifts and the gym were wonderful. Only 2 washing machines and 2 dryers in guest laundry.
Internet access was 40cents per minute... bit rich... Last year we stayed at another Hotel in Melbourne which had free internet access in all rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Karl U, Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear parisTasmania,
We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to know your stay was comfortable and enjoyable. It’s very pleasing to read of the aspects that impressed you, including our modern gym facility. We sometimes have special rates which include complimentary wifi, please feel free to contact our friendly reservation team prior to your next stay so they may assist in finding a package that best suits your needs. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Portland Vic Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

i usually have outstanding service at 5 star establishments but, certainly not here. Booked this hotel directly as I only wanted a roll out bed for one night and this facility is not available on Wotif.
Reception staff member was belligerent and disputed arrangements with my original booking and then pressured me to upgrade. After a 4 and a half hour drive I was in no mood to argue or debate the issue.
To cap things off, when I checked out I wanted two separate invoices as part of my travel was business related. The hotel could not print off an invoice with accommodation (with normal rate and upgrade grouped as one line). I was even told that to do this would be fraudulent. This to an accountant! I was gobsmacked. I was to feel dishonest and I pride myself on my professional integrity!
When I emailed the GM of the hotel I was again advised that the computer or, system could not print what I wanted. The simple solution would have been to print off the details on a Word document with the hotel letterhead confirming my accommodation. Simple!
I travel regularly, along with my other Board members, and we will definitely never be staying here again. Should have stuck with the Westin and Crown.
Rooms were also not sound proofed as we could hear rubbish and construction work at 5.00am in the morning!
The doorman was very friendly and made us feel special !

Room Tip: The higher up the better so as to avoid noise from garbage disposal and construction next door.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Andrew W,

Once again I would like to apologise for the issues which impacted on your stay. I appreciated you bringing the matter to my direct attention and am regretful that our correspondence did not provide the solution that you were seeking.

Our Front Office Team usually receive great positive feedback and on this occasion unfortunately they have fallen short of your expectation. I agree that your request could have been handled with more tact and I have personally reiterated this with the team.

I do appreciate your comments and will certainly take them on board as feedback such as yours highlights areas for improvement within the hotel.

As per our original correspondence, I would be very grateful for the opportunity to welcome you again and show that we are capable of exceeding your expectations.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here recently in a 2 bedroom suite and the room was excellent, as was the location. Michael, one the managers, gave exceptional service and must be commended. Definitely recommend staying here. We were in the west tower on the 15th floor and it was whisper quiet.

• Stayed April 2013
Karl U, Owner at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Fairsea,
The team at Stamford Plaza Melbourne strives to provide exceptional service and it’s wonderful to read that’s exactly what you received throughout your stay, thank you for sharing your experience. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your suite as well and found it to be comfortable and well appointed. We appreciate your recommendation and hope you’ll be back for more of the same soon,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed here for a night when I needed to get out of a terrible hotel I was in and I am so glad I did. The staff were wonderful, polite, helpful and extremely friendly. I had a room on the 13 th floor of the West Tower and it was lovely, very spacious, clean and the bed very comfortable. The buffet breakfast was delicious. I didn't need the kitchen and dining area as I was there for 1 night on business but if returning with my family I certainly would. Central location, easy walk everywhere and close to tram stops. Would recommend and will definitely return next time I am visiting Melbourne

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear ABC123709,
I’m happy we were able to offer you an escape from an unpleasant situation and provide the hotel experience you were looking for. The beauty of our suites is that they are luxurious and also functional, this makes Stamford Plaza Melbourne the perfect choice whether you’re travelling solo for business or for leisure with family or friends. Thank you for your great review, we look forward to welcoming you back and hope you get the chance to stay longer next time.
Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Been to Stamford Plaza Melbourne? Share your experiences!