“Mostly Comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Melbourne

You added Stamford Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Escape Package from $259
Ranked #37 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Geelong, Australia
“Mostly Comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed for 1 night at the Stamford, it is situated in a good position close to many shops and restauraunts. We had booked into a studio room but as they had a special on the day we stayed, we were offered an upgrade to a king suite for an extra $20. As mentioned in other reviews the rooms are a little outdated but having said that it was very clean and comfortable. The shower is over the bath which could be a problem for older patrons, the bathroom was very tight in space. The breakfast was ok there was not a big selection, they had an egg station with your eggs cooked fresh and to your liking. Overall staff were polite and friendly and it was a nice stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear rachelgeelong,

We hope our guests find value for money when they choose to stay at Stamford and it’s great to hear that you would agree. Our staff are professional as well as friendly and will always be happy to offer assistance. Thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Karl Unterfrauner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Stamford Plaza Melbourne is a "self rated" 5 star hotel. My wife and I spent a weekend here in December. It was pretty convenient to everything so location wise its pretty good. The layout of the rooms is a bit unusual but they are making the most of the space available. Bathroom a bit cramped but functional.
This hotel is probably not on par with the likes of Starwood, Hilton or InterContinental brands but it does have its advantages. The mini bar and restaurants/bar are much more reasonably priced and the staff are a little less robotic.
Now to the not so positives: Everytime we made a request, it took ages for it to be actioned. The first day they plain forgot about the bucket of ice! Housekeeping didn't replenish all the toiletries and we waited about 20 minutes before we could be attended to. The hotel did not seem extremely busy so it might just be a staffing issue. In any case, its poor form for a 5 star place regardless whether its "self rated" or otherwise.
On check out, I informed the reception of mini bar usage and paid accordingly. Get home and a couple of days later there's another invoice for the same items and they've helped themselves to charge my credit card. Now, I know when I give them an imprint of my credit card I'm authorising them to charge it for incidentals, but everytime this has happened in the past with other establishments, I get a courtesy phone call before they do it. If these guys had done so I could've told them that I'd already paid! Not really a big deal because I did give them a call myself and notified them of the duplicate charge and they fixed accordingly, but its these little things that can be the difference between an average and a very good experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear sporthead,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Stamford Plaza Melbourne. I agree that it is the little things that can make a difference to an overall stay and I apologise that we were a little off the mark in the areas you have identified. I apologise for the error with your minibar account and will ensure our procedure is reviewed to prevent such an inconvenience in the future. We aim to exceed the expectations of our guests and constructive feedback such as yours is very helpful in helping us to achieve this. Thanks once again, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Have stayed here before. Very central but quiet. My husband and two of our teenage children stayed in a 2 bd suite. Made mistake of not asking for twin beds in second room! after going back to reception organised a rollaway bed for son (if they'd had to share there would have been a murder ;-) - worth the extra $$$ charge per night for rollaway.

Heaps of space. Beds VERY comfortable - didn't have my normal first night restless sleep getting use to the bed!

Room service beautiful. Son especially enjoyed club sandwich.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jodie K,

Happy kids means a happy Mum and I’m so pleased we were able to help keep the peace on your recent visit. We do have two bedroom suites which feature twin bedding in the second room, so please request this for your next stay. I look forward to welcoming you all back in the not too distant future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

One of the most friendly Hotels we have ever stayed in Andrew on the front desk started the ball rolling he was most helpful as was the concierge & valet parking right through to our waitress Ingrid from India who has worked for Stamford for 16 years everyone made our stay so enjoyable.
The room was very large ,breakfast very good & the rate was a bargain.

Room Tip: Spa bath was very small
Dear bigdave,
You have touched on a very important point: the staff at a hotel can really make or break a stay for guests. We are so lucky to have such an amazing team all throughout the hotel and having fantastic facilities to offer as well is an added bonus. Thanks for sharing your experience, I know the team will be very proud to know that their efforts are not going unnoticed. We hope to welcome you back soon,

Roppongi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Tiny room...no room for luggage.
Cleaning was hit and miss...didn't clean the toilet bowel, no refill of vanity set, didn't change towels, cleaning commenced at 4 pm.
No towels in the gym and half the extremely limited gym equipment were unserviceable.
The key card didn't work.
Fridge stuffed with stuff I didn't need so I couldn't store anything.

I paid $2000 upfront for the room and then was asked to pay for carparking as you go along. Was told this was standard policy by the manager. I have stayed at more than 100 hotels and it was the first time that I saw this. Even two stars hotel don't do this kind of stuff.

Only good point: Valet parking staff.

Overall, much better value elsewhere like Sommerset on Elizabeth Street. Would pay me to stay there again. Stay at this hotel if you want to be peeved.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
Dear Tokyo_Tourist1,

I am very disappointed to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay and I am sorry for the lapse in service you experienced in regards to the servicing of your room. I am surprised though to hear that you were not impressed with our gym. We have recently completed a whole renovation of this area and all the equipment is state of the art and only a couple of months old. I would be very grateful to welcome you back again and to show you that your experience is not the standard you should expect. If you do reconsider, please feel free to contact me directly as I would be more than happy to personally look after your arrangements.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

A great place to stay if you need a nights accommodation in the CBD whilst in Melbourne. Whilst there was no view from the room which was a side room on the seventh floor (B Building), it did mean a good nights sleep and on a Friday night before Christmas. All good except for the fact that the bed seemed very small - OK - I do have a King size bed at home - but I am sure the bed at the hotel was only a double. The room was spacious with a small kitchen and an area for relaxing. By biggest gripe - the internet charge - in my opinion is outrageous. The service at the front desk was not particularly noteworthy - they were just doing their job. In conclusion, I have stayed there at least twice - so obviously, there is no reason for me not to go back in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JCM81,

We do have suites offering different bed sizes and I would be more than happy to update your profile with a king bed request. Please feel free to contact a member of the reservations team prior to your next stay and , although we can not guarantee, we will do our very best to allocate a room that meets your preference – they will also be able to inform you of our latest room offers which sometimes include wi-fi. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip and I hope the third times the charm and we are able to satisfy you in all areas.

Temora, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We picked up our room online for a good price, and were offered an upgrade when we arrived for an extra cost which we took. Our room was spacious, with a small kitchen and very well stocked minibar. We had one faulty light which was fixed promptly on reporting, and had an enjoyable stay in a clean, comfortable and quiet room. The staff were friendly and obliging both in the foyer and the bar, (especially the singing barman!) This may sound strange, but the elevators in the west wing worked exceptionally well. We rarely waited more than a few seconds for a lift, and when they arrived they whisked us away quickly and quietly. All in all a pleasant Hotel in a handy position in the CBD.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear VicNtony,

It sounds like the Stamford Plaza Melbourne has delivered once again on all the aspects that make for a great stay. You have great attention detail as our lifts have recently been refurbished to make them more smooth and efficient, it is the little things that count. Thanks for a great review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Been to Stamford Plaza Melbourne? Share your experiences!