“Great hotel in a Great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Stamford Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Winter Getaway Specials
Ranked #34 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Belfast
“Great hotel in a Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for the start of a 5 week honeymoon in Australia. It was a great choice. It is central, we got a great price on their own website through a 48 hour deal offer and when we checked in we were upgraded to a king suite.

The hotel is in an excellent location and near trams, free tour shuttle and free circle tram. As it is the CBD it is near all of the attractions of the city and as a guest you can walk to Flinders, Federation Square or hop on a tram to St Kilda or anywhere else in the city you may fancy.

We were in the city during a heat wave and it was too hot to spend long periods outdoors at the beach but the hotel has a rooftop pool that has a roof which is open on hot days so you can relax right in the city centre.

The only negative things about the hotel was the wifi was expensive. It also can be a little dark as the CBD is pretty high rise and the hotel is in the shadow of large buildings. Our room had nice windows but as it was an alleyway outside it was impossible to get natural light into the room. I imagine that most hotels will have similar problems in the area.

The suite was more like a mini apartment with a living, dining area and a kitchen space if you feel like cooking or staying in for a few meals. We had cereal most mornings and then had brunch as the restaurants in Melbourne are excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Bronaghcc,

First things first…Congratulations on your recent wedding and well done for starting your honeymoon in style. It sounds as though you made the most of what we have to offer – a can’t be beat location, sizeable suites and a great place to relax after a long day of exploring. I hope the rest of your trip is equally as enjoyable and we would love to welcome you back again…maybe on your Anniversary

1,194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The only thing they have going for them is the central downtown location. That too becomes a pain when you are woken up by loud people in the alley next door late at night. They are not the 5 star luxury place they claim to be. The internet was also $25 per night. They had a nice restaruant downstairs and a decent in-room menu.

The Federation square and main train station is nearby so that was convenient. The carpet and upholstery in the room was a bit dated so they can work on that.

Valet parking is $45 per night. That is ridiculous. The room/bathroom was nice and clean and the conceirge was AWESOME. I would happily have given them a "4" rating if the rate wasnt so expensive. They charge like a "5" but they are merely a 3.5 hence the "3" rating.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sakeb,

Thank you for your feedback and your comments about the concierge team are very true. We have a fantastic team that shares a wealth of knowledge about the best places to eat, drink and play in Melbourne, they’ll certainly make sure you have a great time. When you are planning your next visit to Melbourne may I suggest that you contact our friendly reservations team directly as we often have packages available which include wi-fi and/or parking in the rate.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Hotel has aged well and we were able to get our room via wotif for a great price so no complaints from us. Rooftop pool/spa saunce complex is undercover and nice to use after a long day shopping. Rooms are actually mini apartments with a living area, dining area, and mini kitchenette with seperate bedroom which is nice when staying longer than a night. Great location handy to collins street tram stop. Check in was busy but we were able to check in early just before 11am which was lovely.

Room Tip: We had a room in the main tower with reception on the ground floor and had no issues with noise or v...
Dear fussytraveller2,
With a name like yours I’m sure such compliments are not given freely, I’m thrilled that we were able to provide all that you were looking for in a hotel. Thanks for highlighting some of the positive features of the hotel and we hope to welcome you back for another shopping trip soon.

Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Hotel pretends to be a 5 star luxury place in the heart of Melbourne. Well the place is way far from that.

Rooms : Old dusty places, the suite room I have booked was with one window on the internal atrium of the hotel and the other facing the air-conditioning machines. I asked to change but the new one, not facing the air-con machine was facing a wall 5 meters away. The rooms were probably nice some years ago, sorry, many years ago, but now they are very tired out, dusty, dark with horrible furniture

Service: Lousy and unfriendly. When I asked to change the room the first time, the staff at the reception made me wait almost 20 minutes to show me another room. Nobody helped with the language, and they were evidently annoyed by the fact that I wanted to see another room and they could not understand why I did not like facing the air-con machine. Strange, why anybody in the world would not like it ?

Internal Atrium: It looks shabby, almost dodgy. There were some "sculpture", if you can call them so, hanging from the very high ceiling in the middle of the atrium, some monster-like animals, that made the place even uglier that it could be already by itself.

Breakfast: I did not have it, but basically they give you some vouchers to eat in a nearby restaurant... so so sad...

At the end after some struggle I decided to go to another hotel right away. I lost my money for the pre-paid booking but better wasting money than staying in that place. The moment I walked out I felt already better.

Room Tip: My only suggestion is to go to another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Agadotti,

I’m very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your experience at Stamford Plaza Melbourne. We pride ourselves on our modern suites, friendly service and value for money and I’m sorry you felt that we did not deliver in these areas.

It is true that we have had to compromise on views in some of our suites due to our central city location and I apologise that a suitable alternative was not found for you on this occasion. I am surprised to hear that you found our staff unhelpful with the matter, we usually receive very positive comments about the high level of service they provide. It seems that there may have been a slight miscommunication in regards to breakfast as we have recently had a promotion whereby guests can present a voucher to receive 50% off the price of their breakfast, but this has always been served in our own restaurant.

Should you choose to return to Stamford Plaza Melbourne, I would be more than happy to personally look after you, please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Brussels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at the Stamford from Boxing Day until early January in room 1314: a queen suite in the "West Tower" overlooking Little Collins Street. We had family staying here at the same time, although they checked in on Christmas Eve.

The room itself is spacious and split into two main rooms divided by a pair of sliding doors. One room being a lounge area with an open kitchen equipped with a large TV, mini-bar, dish washer, etc. and the other being the bedroom with en-suite and a second smaller television.

The mini-bar was fully stocked, so there's not much room for your own stuff, however I'm sure you'd be able to request this to be emptied as you can request pots and pans if you wish to cook within the hotel, effectively turning the suite into a very nice small serviced apartment. The mini-bar fridge made no noticeable noise, unlike in older hotels.

The suite is very comfortable, although as with most of these hotels you cannot open the window and the air-conditioning is quite noisy. This is a common complaint with modern hotels, however the air-conditioning could not take the room temperature below 26 degrees, and even when off the extraction vents in the bathroom were incredibly noisy. With the air-conditioning switched off, the room rapidly became hot and stuffy, however with the air-conditioning on the bed was covered in a strong freezing breeze (even with the fan level set to the lowest setting).

Further to the nuisance during sleep is a touch screen panel by the door for indicating "do not disturb" or "please make up room" - this has a super bright blue back-light which does not switch off and easily keeps the entire suite illuminated at night. We noticed when dropping off our family at the hotel that in their room a previous guest had folded a booklet from the hotel over the panel, and we went ahead and did the same thing with ours to save our sanity.

The Stamford has an odd environmental policy in that you can receive a $10 discount on all food and bar (but not mini-bar) expenses for the day if you leave a card on your pillow telling housekeeping not to make up the bed. However (and completely illogical to me) housekeeping still replaces all towels, and all toiletries. If you use one drop of shampoo, the entire bottle is replaced. We were completely baffled by this, as the use of less water, detergents and bleaches is usually a high priority for a hotel's environmental policy, and usually towels are only replaced if requested or left in the bath/shower.

Outside of the room, the pool are is tiny (smaller than the room) and despite the small number of guests there it could be considered "packed".

Breakfast was not included in our room rate, but while advertised for $32, 50% discount vouchers were available at reception. For $16, the buffet breakfast was fantastic - everything you can imagine on offer, including fresh eggs done on the spot by an extremely friendly chef in any which way you want them to be. Alternatively waffles, bacon, eggs, etc. are also available. A variety of breads are available for toasting, along with the usual affair of croissants, pain au chocolat, etc. Every possible jam and spread has been provided, fruits, juices, cereals and a large range of teas. The pot coffee is awful, but a coffee bar is available for a good cup to get you started. I was blown away by the quality and scale of the breakfast service, as $32 is typical in hotels in Melbourne but you rarely get this level of service.

Speaking of service, the staff were friendly, welcoming and accommodating from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. The typical Melburnian slightly formal yet relaxed vibe really comes alive from the hotel staff and they should be commended.

The hotel's situated in the so-called "Paris" end of town, particularly obvious when you look at this end of Collins Street, and is very safe at night white equally close to trams, public transport and even walking distance from several of Melbourne's attractions.

If given the opportunity, I think I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room as the windows on Little Collins Street are single glazed. Prepare to test your...
Dear SimonButcher,

What a detailed review…Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay.

I appreciate your constructive comments relating to the mini bar fridge, as you have suggested these can certainly be emptied on request. Thank you for bringing to my attention the light from the “Do Not Disturb” sign, I apologise that this inconvenienced you and will engage the Engineering team to see if modifications can be made.

I’m pleased to hear you were able to take advantage of our breakfast promotion and that we exceeded your expectations in both food offerings and service. Our team works hard to meet all of our guests needs and they will be very happy to receive your recognition.

Thank you once again and I hope we can welcome you and your family back soon,

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I had a two night stay at the Stamford Plaza Melbourne and the location in the 'Paris end' of Melbourne is ideal. Lots of restaurants to choose from and only a short walk to the main shopping district. My check in had some problems but were efficiently sorted out by Lisa on reception who was very helpful. The room decor is warm and inviting. The beds are AMAZING, I loved the pillows and linen, it was of the best quality and gorgeous to sleep on. My only negative comment is the maintenance of the pool area is lacking. There are broken tiles and grout is need of fixing. It has potential to be a beautiful pool area, just needs some repairs to freshen it up.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear ref77,

It is sometimes difficult to decide what to do while staying at Stamford Plaza Melbourne – stay in & enjoy the luxurious suite? Dine at one of the fabulous nearby restaurants? Catch a show at the theatre? Shop til you drop? We’re right in the heart of it all. You can be sure though whatever you decide to do our fantastic beds will be waiting for you to rest and rejuvenate after a busy day. Thanks for your contstuctive comments regarding the pool , we are currently in the planning stages of an update for this area, so stay tuned for further news. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Warrnambool, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We decided to stay here for a night away and was not let down. Great location, short walk to southbank for restaurants and close to the city for shopping. Room was very impressive with a seperate lounge to the bedroom which is always better for relaxing. Valet parking and breakfast was part of our deal and pretty good for the price too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear DJR1975,
What a lovely way to wind down and take time out from a busy lifestyle. I’m so pleased we were able to deliver the relaxing night that you were looking for. Luxiourous suite, delicious food and a spot of shopping – is there a better way to recharge the batteries? We look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing stay.

Karl Unterfrauner

Been to Stamford Plaza Melbourne? Share your experiences!