I recently had to travel to Melbourne to be with my daughter, her husband and 4 year old granddaughter who was undergoing major heart surgery in the Royal Children's hospital. As I could only book the accommodation at the last minute, I was very fortunate to be able to book a premier king bedroom suite at the last minute. Check in and check out were friendly and efficient. The suite itself was very comfortable, although the decor was slightly dated. The bathroom was on the small side but I liked the old fashioned shower taps (no fiddling about to find out how the taps worked), although when I booked the room, I was under the impression that L'Occitane bathroom toiletries were included, as well complementary newspapers. This was solved by just one phone call to housekeeping and L'occitane bathroom toiletries were delivered within 5 minutes. I was slightly taken back that no toothbrush and toothpaste or shaving kit was provided, these had an additional cost of approx. $5 and $6 respectively (in all other 5 star hotels we have stayed in these were provided as well as shaving kit). As I was in Melbourne for 7 days, the kitchenette came in very handy, just to have the occasional meal in room. The bed was heaven, never have I slept so well in a hotel as in the Stamford Plaza, the pillows were great. A good "green" option is to get a credit of $10 to be used in Harry's bar/cafe for not having the room serviced.
The location of the hotel could not be better, a 5 minute walk (less if one is a fast walker) to the shopping malls, CBD and all the trams.
Now to the negatives: breakfast was a big disappointment, poorly presented, not a big choice in any particular section, and for what it offered very expensive ($32 with a 20% discount).
The gym is small, only 2 treadmills, 2 bikes and 2 cross trainers and only one cable machine with a very limited amount of weights.
Overall, yes I would stay in the Stamford again, definitely and planning to come back sometime next year under less stressfull circumstances.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stamford Plaza Melbourne is a leading all-suite 5 Star Melbourne CBD hotel. Located at the "Paris" end of Little Collins Street, Stamford Plaza Melbourne is the ideal choice for guests looking for quality accommodation in Melbourne's central business district. Set amongst theatres, renowned restaurants, fashion boutiques and Melbourne's finest attractions, guests can relax in the boutique surroundings whilst immersing themselves in the city's vibrant culture. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from Flinders Street station and Federation Square and a 25 minute drive from Tullamarine Airport. Your home away from home, the hotel's elegantly appointed 283 suites are a sanctuary with a luxurious sense of space and comfort. Each suite contains a kitchen with cooking facilities, spacious lounge and dining areas and separate bedroom/s with bath spa en-suite. Guests can enjoy the newly refurbished pool featuring sleek new furnishings, a hydration station, spa and sauna facilities, a recently refurbished gym that is well-equipped with cardiovascular and weight training equipments. Services such as 24-hour reception, Concierge and room service, valet car parking and laundry, ensure a relaxing and fuss free stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, EasyToBook, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Stamford Plaza Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stamford Plaza Melbourne Hotel Melbourne
- Stamford Plaza Hotel Melbourne
- Melbourne Stamford Plaza Hotel