I recently had to travel to Melbourne to be with my daughter, her husband and 4 year old granddaughter who was undergoing major heart surgery in the Royal Children's hospital. As I could only book the accommodation at the last minute, I was very fortunate to be able to book a premier king bedroom suite at the last minute. Check in and check out were friendly and efficient. The suite itself was very comfortable, although the decor was slightly dated. The bathroom was on the small side but I liked the old fashioned shower taps (no fiddling about to find out how the taps worked), although when I booked the room, I was under the impression that L'Occitane bathroom toiletries were included, as well complementary newspapers. This was solved by just one phone call to housekeeping and L'occitane bathroom toiletries were delivered within 5 minutes. I was slightly taken back that no toothbrush and toothpaste or shaving kit was provided, these had an additional cost of approx. $5 and $6 respectively (in all other 5 star hotels we have stayed in these were provided as well as shaving kit). As I was in Melbourne for 7 days, the kitchenette came in very handy, just to have the occasional meal in room. The bed was heaven, never have I slept so well in a hotel as in the Stamford Plaza, the pillows were great. A good "green" option is to get a credit of $10 to be used in Harry's bar/cafe for not having the room serviced.
The location of the hotel could not be better, a 5 minute walk (less if one is a fast walker) to the shopping malls, CBD and all the trams.
Now to the negatives: breakfast was a big disappointment, poorly presented, not a big choice in any particular section, and for what it offered very expensive ($32 with a 20% discount).
The gym is small, only 2 treadmills, 2 bikes and 2 cross trainers and only one cable machine with a very limited amount of weights.
Overall, yes I would stay in the Stamford again, definitely and planning to come back sometime next year under less stressfull circumstances.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience premium five star luxury in Melbourne's finest all-suite hotel. Located at the "Paris end" of Little Collins Street in the heart of the CBD, Stamford Plaza Melbourne is surrounded by the best of fashion, theatre, cuisine, and only walking distance to the city's famous sporting venues. An ideal location for those wanting to immerse themselves in Melbourne's vibrant culture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Tingo, Otel, HotelTravel.com, BookingOdigeoWL, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Stamford Plaza Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stamford Plaza Melbourne Hotel Melbourne
- Stamford Plaza Hotel Melbourne
- Melbourne Stamford Plaza Hotel