“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Melbourne

You added Stamford Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Summer Saver $1 Breakfast
Ranked #35 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Launceston, Australia
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have just spent the weekend in Melbourne with four friends, we stayed in a three room apartment, it was a little expensive but the room was fantastic.

Each room had a bathroom, TV and the main areas were large, accomdating and well maintained.

The staff were amazing. I would stay here again tomorrow. The location of the hotel in terms of the city is great its about 5 minutes to the centre of the city and there are heaps of places to eat

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear ckb_au

There is nothing more luxurious than a break away in a plush hotel with friends! I’m really pleased to hear how much you enjoyed yourselves and how comfortable you found your suite.

It would be lovely to see you back again.

Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

The locations of the hotel is great. Easy to get around the CBD and only a block away from the tram line. The staff are also very friendly and welcoming. We stayed for 3 nights in a one bedroom suite, which was good. It was bigger than a regular hotel room. The bathroom is quite small.

One thing which was a problem for me was my comfort. I didn't find the bed comfortable at all and hardly slept on the first night. I looked at the hotel directory (which annoyingly is on the tv, not a compendium to look through) and it said housekeeping had a pillow menu. I rang but housekeeping was closed for the night but got reception. I asked for a different shape pillow, preferabley a v shaped pillow, but they had no other option other than a softer regular pillow. They shouldn't advertise they have pillow menu when they don't have options for their guests.

The new lobby opened while we were there. It was nice and plenty of staff manning the desk.

Would I stay there again? Probably not.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MrsKPerth

Thank you for your compliment regarding our new lobby, we are of course very pleased with it and the staff are enjoying working in this refreshed environment. I am very sorry that your bed and pillow were not suited to your preference. The hotel offers a selection of pillows with varying thickness and density, although they are all of the ‘regular’ shape as you have stated. I hope the softer replacement you were given went some way to relieving your discomfort. I am surprised that you found our beds not comfortable as we do get a lot of compliments about them. Of course the comfort of the bed is a personal choice and if you advise us of your preference at time of booking we can arrange the bedding to your liking. Nevertheless, I do hope you enjoyed your stay in Melbourne with us.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back where I’m certain we will be able to accommodated your requirements.

Redcliffe, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Partner and i enjoyed service and room. Excellent location to get around the city. They made us feel special from the front door, to reception, then to our room. Will stay again and again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kiwiborn

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! That’s exactly what we like to hear. See you again soon then!!

Dunedin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary for a couple of nights. Got a great deal through wotif so had a one bedroom apartment. Arrived and had to wait for the conceirge to attend to us outside as he had other people to attend to, felt a little put out as we weren't assisted with our luggage but the people before us were, I think we didn't look posh enough lol! Alterations were going on in the lobby so it was a little mickey mouse checking in but that was ok. We had room service for dinner that night, was pleased with the quick prompt service and the variation of the menu but was a little disappointed in the taste of my steak as it seemed to lack taste. Location wise the hotel was fantastic and the conceirge the following morning was fantastic with great tips and information about Melbourne. We would more than likely stay again as the experience overall was really good!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DunedinKailey

Congratulations on your anniversary! Our lobby is all finished now so it would be wonderful if you could come and stay with us again and see what you think of the improvement. I would love to have read that everything was wonderful about your stay but am still glad overall you had a pleasant experience. For those points you have made where improvements could be made the relevant department heads have been notified and the issues reviewed, so thank you for your constructive feedback it is very helpful.

Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I've just returned from a 4 day stay at the Stamford Plaza Melbourne. It was my second interstate stay at the hotel, combined birthday celebrations with a friend again and the hotel's complimentary bottle of bubbles waiting for us in our room was a lovely gesture. We had a high level room in the West tower. Our room was spotlessly clean, modern and spacious with 2 double beds, kitchen, dining room, lounge area, 2 TV's, bathroom with separate vanity area, just perfect for 2 girls travelling together! The current renovations caused no problems at all. The staff were amazing; courteous and helpful at all times. Reception staff were fabulous on check in but in particular on check out, a porter swiftly taking my luggage and weighing it to allay my fear of excess baggage due to my excess shopping!! (was 19.98kg with a 20kg allowance). We used the concierge on several occasions and they were always friendly and informative, nothing was too much trouble for them, they even completed our return flight online check-in's and provided our boarding passes to us. Nic (Arnica?) on concierge was fantastic with my list of questions one morning, providing an insight into the places I queried. We accidently locked ourselves out of our room, but once again a phone call to concierge had staff come quickly and unlock it for us. We love the location of the Hotel. Trams to everywhere are close by, several theatres are a close walking distance, all the shops are a close distance, ditto great restaurants. Can't fault the Stamford Melbourne, would definately stay again and again.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a high floor room to avoid any potential traffic noise
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear DesertQueen65

Such a cheerful review! I can feel in your words the great experience you had here at the hotel and of course the good times spent out and about around Melbourne. I think a regular annual get together might be the pattern starting to form here, and of course we would be more than happy to oblige the bottle of bubble to welcome you back each time. If you are checking in on Friday you can also receive a complimentary glass of Moet & Chandon in Harry’s Bar between 5.30 and 7.30pm if you are wear red shoes, so be sure to find a space in your suitcase for those! Thank you for your complimentary remarks concerning our Concierges and in particular Nik. They really have a passion for their job and do us very proud.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Just stayed for 4 nights at the Stamford Plaza, a mixture of business and leisure. Unfortunately for the first two nights I had a room in the East tower above the lobby undergoing renovations. Work started at 6:00am both mornings. Not really an issue for me as I was working but I felt sorry for those who were there on holiday. I asked at reception on the second day whether the work would continue over the week-end when I would become one of those holiday makers and would certainly not appreciate being woken at 6:00am by the builders. I was told that work would continue so I asked to be relocated to the West tower. This was agreed without hesitation (I suspect they are used to dealing with these requests), the room was also upgraded for me at the same time, so good response which was much appreciated by me wife when she arrived for the week-end. The King Suite which was the upgraded room was very spacious but the bathrooms in both rooms were tiny although well equipped. Bathrobes and slippers are a nice touch.

Other comments - breakfast was included in the room rate and was OK but not worth the $20+ which you have to pay if it's not included.

The saving grace for the hotel is it's staff who were unerringly polite and helpful, always greeted us warmly whenever we arrived back at the hotel and did do their best to sort out the noise issue when I complained.

My only real issue is that they shouldn't really be letting rooms in the East tower while the building works are in progress unless they restrict the working hours a bit more.

Room Tip: Ask for the West tower until nuilding works are finished
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear ZX9man

Thank you for your constructive feedback, I am very please to advise you that our new lobby is now complete and it looks fantastic! I’m very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced due to the work but am happy your concerns were successfully resolved by our ever helpful and accommodating staff. You will be able to experience our new and inviting reception space on your next stay with us! I look forward to welcoming you back then.

Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel whilst on business in Melbourne and both times I have been very happy with the experience. The rooms are modern, spotlessly clean, well appointed and very comfortable. I ordered room service for dinner on this occassion and was very impressed with the selection and quality of the food - it was also delivered promptly and was professionally presented. Probably my favourite thing about this hotel is the excellent buffet breakfast - there is a vast array of hot and cold foods on offer, fabulous coffee and cheery efficient service. On my earlier stay I ate dinner in the resturant and had one of the most delicious steaks I've ever had - it was cooked rare just how I asked for it and it melted in my mouth - the resturant also had a good selection of wines. This is a fabulous hotel, which is well located and with very helpful staff - nothing is too much trouble for them. I will definitely stay here again when next in Melbourne. The foyer was undergoing rennovation when I was there in June but this did not cause any problems for guests - staff were directing guests to the temporary reception area.

Room Tip: The one and two bedroom suites are very comfortable - Make sure you have the buffet breakfast!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Geoff J

On business trips it is really important for you to be able to relax and unwind with great food and wine and then to also start your day with a quality breakfast, so your experience with room service and in Harry’s restaurant is very reassuring that our food and beverage department is getting it right. Your kind compliments about the staff here at Stamford Plaza Melbourne will be greatly appreciated. They do a wonderful job it is really means a lot when guests notice and praise the efforts they go to. Thank you. I am also pleased to advise you that our new lobby is completed and the first checks will be done in it today. We are all very excited!

We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next trip.

Like us on Facebook l Follow us on Twitter

Been to Stamford Plaza Melbourne? Share your experiences!