“Back to the 1980's/early 90's” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Melbourne

You added Stamford Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #38 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Back to the 1980's/early 90's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

I booked a mystery hotel on Wotif.com but because of the room types being all 'one-bedroom suites' I already knew before completing the booking that the hotel was the Stamford Plaza Melbourne. So I scored a rate of $160 per night on the weekend. I recommend booking this way as you'll save a good $50-$70 per night from the higher rates on the actual hotel's own website.

The rooms are clean, modern and spacious but the windows didn't open.

The hotel lobby and facilities are a bit dated. I'm sure it would have taken your breath away in the 1980's but the gold rimmed elevators with half of the fairy lights around them working and half not makes for a not so great first impression. The pool and spa are like an aquatic centre and don't look as prestige as the pictures on the internet would sway you to believe. We went up there with a bottle of champaign to have a swim and sit by the pool. We were met with 5 or so screaming kids in a humid room that smelt like chlorine so we went back down to our room and enjoyed the champaign on the couch instead.

The rooms have been renovated and feel very modern. Although from what I can gather from Tripadvisor not all of the rooms are renovated so be aware of this when booking. Windows don't open so it's a bit of a glass box that gets very hot as the air-conditioning is quite weak even on 'high' fan speed. We left it on all day and still came back to a hot hotel room which gets hotter in the morning when the sun hits the glass and you can't let any fresh air in. Personally I wouldn't stay at this hotel again purely because of the windows not opening, I need fresh air and don't like to feel like I can't wait to get outside to breath in the mornings when you wake up.

Having the extra space of a lounge room with a kitchenette is very good. Much better than other hotels with just space around the bed and that's it. However you can probably find an apartment hotel that has the same size, if not bigger rooms (like the Oaks around the corner on Lonsdale) that have a balcony (ahhh fresh air) and more room.

The rooms were extremely clean! I work in hotels and I know how important this is, this hotel obviously takes cleanliness very seriously, it was immaculate.

One small piece of feedback for the hotel; don't fill my room with advertising about all of your 'extra' services like putting the breakfast menu back on my bed every day you clean the room and other promotional material next to my head where I sleep on the bedside tables. I've booked the hotel now leave me alone to choose how I spend my money when I'm there. I think if you eat breakfast in a hotel in Melbourne you're mad, there are amazing places on every block, every street to eat.

The service was professional and efficient as you would expect from a brand like Stamford Plaza, which is why I'm giving the hotel a 4/5. For a business trip the hotel would be perfect (if you can handle the window issue) but for a weekend away from Sydney I'll probably look for something more modern and special next time.

Room Tip: We were upgraded for free to a King room which had been renovated. I would recommend this room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Dear dionmarketing

It’s great to get such thorough feedback! Your compliments are of course very welcome and your points to note are duly noted. Unfortunately, the windows not opening is not something we will be able to change, but as you know there are such wonderful things to see and do around Melbourne so spending time exploring the city and discovering the nooks and crannies is a lot of fun!

All our rooms are renovated so everyone can expect the modern standard that you experienced. As well as the recently completed room refurbishments we are in the final planning stages to refurbish the hotel’s lobby, restaurant and bar….In fact all common areas will receive a facelift. So, on your next visit you will be able to experience the Stamford Plaza in all its renovated glory! I hope you will enjoy the improvements. We are really looking forward to seeing them ourselves!

Like us on facebook l follow us on Twitter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights with our baby in a studio room. Unfortunately the microwave was too small to fit my steriliser. The kitchen also did not have a cook-top. However the staff were wonderful and just took it down to their kitchen and microwaved it for us. Every time they saw me out with the pram, someone came to help up and down the stairs. Would definitely stay there again. Watch out for the air conditioning overnight - its motion sensitive so switches off overnight. The location is also fabulous.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear SKSydney

We get lots of comments like yours regarding the great location of the hotel, and of course we totally agree! The access to Melbourne’s CBD and all it offers is second to none. Great food, great shopping and great attractions. I hope you enjoyed it all! Yes our microwaves are compact and I can see you would have had an issue with standing your baby’s bottle up in it, but like they did for you our kitchen staff are always willing to help guests in any way they can….including bottle prep (Day, night, whenever!). See you again soon!

Like us on facebook l follow us on Twitter
Ulverstone, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

After a long journey home the stamford was a welcome break before the last leg. On arrival (we arrived at 10am due to flight times) our room was not ready but staff promptly upgraded us free of charge to a king suite so that we could check in and get some much needed sleep. the room was HUGE! bigger than some appartments. we had a spa in the bathroom and there was plenty of space out of the way for our bags (2 large backpacks 2 large ski bags and 2 large carry ons) the bed was comfy and the room nice and warm.

Another pleasant surprise was 2 free drinks in Harrys bar downstairs. Although we didn't utilise things like the pool and spa they were there if we felt like a swim.
Check out was very prompt for a 5.30am check out.

All in all a place that we would definately stay at again. And recommend highly to anyone looking for a peice of luxury that doesn't cost the world just a few streets from nice restaurants shopping trains etc.

Room Tip: our room was fabulous (king suite) but judging by this any room would be fine.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Dear Ches81,

There is nothing like a bit of luxury and pampering after a long journey! We are very pleased to have been able to provide you with that and to exceed your expectations. Thank you for your complementary feedback, we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We had to make an emergency dash over to Wagga and used Melbourne as a start and end to our stay. The Stamford was affordable luxury and welcome relief to the stress of our visit. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the valet parking was great to have.
We would not hesitate to recommend this wonderful accommodation to any travelers to Melbourne, the quality is exceptional.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Moir family,

Thank you for choosing the Stamford Plaza Melbourne as part of your trip. It is wonderful to hear that you were pleased with your choice! We always aim to take the hassle out of our guest’s journey. Your comments and recommendation is appreciated and valued by TripAdvisor viewers.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

This was our second stay at the Stamford Plaza....this time we were on the top floor in a 2 bed suite.
Room was spacious and very well equipped-we even had 2 full bathrooms which was fantastic as we were a group of girls!
I booked on Wotif as a mystery deal-was pretty easy to tell which hotel it was before booking and the rate was $330 which was REALLY good value.
I love the old style luxury of the Stamford. Of course the location is pretty good as well!
Valet parking at $40 a night certainly adds to the bill-possibly the only downside.....it has stopped us staying here in the past if we have had two cars to park.
All in all though a great stay

Room Tip: traffic noise on low floors
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Dear Shaeleejane,

I am so pleased you had such a great stay at Stamford Plaza Melbourne with your girlfriends. We are always very happy to read that our guests enjoy their stay.

Come back and try our popular Celebration Package, or treat your partner for a Valentines Day experience!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I recently stayed at the Stamford Plaza for a conference because it was the most reasonably priced and within walking distance to the conference venue.
I really liked the 1 bedroom suite - beautiful lounge with cute cushions, lovely bed that I had a few nights of great sleep , and the bathroom was very clean. Slightly confusing lights and TV arrangement but I'm not great with technology! Really liked that you could select the "make up my room" electronically, even if it was slightly later in the day. Staff were friendly and minded bags and conference posters for the day while I met some friends for lunch after checking out. There are some cute businessy open air cafes nearby - but be aware that none of them are open on the weekend.
All in all - would definitely stay again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Katmar83,

Thank you for putting your comments on TripAdvisor. We were delighted you enjoyed our refurbished suite. We are fortunate to be located at the Paris End of Collins Street amongst great shops, restaurants and sporting facilities.

We hope you come back to see us again very soon.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

A friend and I stayed for 3 nights 20-23 Jan 12 and selected the Stamford Plaza basically because our normal hotel on Swantson St was booked out and once I scanned WOTIF and other websites the Stamford seemed the better hotel with what we were after.
Overall a pleasant stay but it wasn't looking that way, we arrived about 10am and as our room wasn't ready we weren't too surprised so left our bags and went for a coffee and something to eat as the hotel said they would ring us when room was ready. We came back at 11am and the receptionist said our room was ready which was great as we wanted to freshen up before heading to the tennis which was the reason for the trip but they made a mistake and said that the previous guest just checked out so now housekeeping had to clean but that might not be for another hr or so. Not good news as we were wasting our time for the tennis so we grabbed our bags had a quick change in the toilet and then headed to the tennis where again they said they would ring when room was ready. We arrived at hotel again after tennis at about 6pm and of course room was ready but we didn't get a phone call as promised so not pleased with that as I expect when something is promised they follow up with it....they apologies but it was different front staff on so there wasn't much they could do but apologise.
The hotel was starting their new High Tea and offered a few guests a complimentary invite to give them feedback so that was nice and made up for a few things that the hotel fell short in..
I'd stay here again as all staff tried their best but unfortunately only if other hotels in the area are unavailable. I think this hotel gets better reviews when the prices are more reasonable because at busy times when they charge full rack rate this hotel falls quite short.

Pros - Location very good to sporting venues, lygon st, casino and other CBD food lanes and shopping areas. We like to walk so it took us only 20mins to get to Rod Laver Arena for the tennis and to the middle of lygon st for great coffee and italian food...5-10mins walk from hotel to Swanston St which is a great place to wander around the lovely little lanes where you end up finding the best out of the way eateries, cafes and of course shops....also to catch trams or buses to see other parts of Melbourne.
Had free newspapers at front desk which was good but really it's the small things that make the difference and it would have been great to have the paper delivered to our room as most other 5 star hotels do or at least offer. Most customers not on businesss I suggest like me this time would prefer to wake up make a coffee/tea and read the paper in the room before heading out for the day.. Stamford having them in the foyer again just seems to me to be half hearted, the thought is there but "that little bit extra" that hotels claim to do, well that little bit extra would be to offer guests the option of newpapers to the rooms..and whether they take up the offer or not is beside the point, at least the guest leaves with a good impression..of at least being offered.
Cons - Again, small things...$4 for water? C'mon Stamford I've just paid $298 per night not including breakfast and the hotel doesn't feel the need to give their customers 2 x bottles of complimentary water that costs $2 like alot of 4 or 5 start hotels do?
Herbal Teas would have been a nice touch as well as any motel has a variety of black, green and herbals teas to choose from...very poor and really it's not much to ask.
We stayed in a Twin Suite where the beds were excellent but to be honest for what we paid $298 per night the bathroom looked quite tired and wouldn't really need too much done to it except maybe get rid of the gold plated taps etc., as it looks tacky but the small rain shower head was nice.
It states 5 star but it may have a 5 star foyer but I've stayed in enough hotels throughout the world to know what really is 5 star and unfortunately the Stamford in my opinion is only a 4 star.
It's better to be a true 4 star that everyone raves about than a 4 star trying to be a 5 star...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Dear KerryBackhouse,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor. Please accept my apologies for the inconsistent customer service you received. We do offer newspapers delivered to the room, however, this has obviously not happened on this occasion.

Our guests’ complete satisfaction is of prime concern to us and it is through guest feedback that we are able to identify those areas that are worthy of praise or in need of improvement.

I do hope you will come back and stay with us again.