“Right in the heart of Melbourne - with a kitchen!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Stamford Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Winter Getaway Specials
Ranked #34 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
“Right in the heart of Melbourne - with a kitchen!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

I stayed at the Stamford Plaza for four nights on a business trip in November, we also paid for my wife to stay too.

It's a good hotel all things considered, we had a double on the 10th Floor, which also has a mini kitchenette - something you don't expect in a hotel, but useful as breakfast was $30ASD!

The bed was comfy and the room had a good bathroom, two flat screen TV's (excessive, but hey!), a desk to work at, room safe and a couch. To fit this all in the room has to be a good size and it was. What else? Well the elevator was glass and the walk to our room was along a open walkway / balcony and wouldn't be great if you had vertigo.

There was a swimming pool which had a sauna and jacuzzi - these were in the east tower and you had to walk across the walkway via the lifts to get to them from where we were. These were on the 16th floor so the pool isn't massive, but it's good for a quick dip.

Breakfast was good - watch out for the special coffee's though, you only have one of these included and then you have to pay - we nearly tripped up here.

The bar had a deal on most nights with food - burgers on Thursday, Oysters on another night and if you wear red shoes on a Friday at a certain time there was a free? drink on offer. They also include a 2 for 1 drinks deal card when you get your room card - but didn't tell us about it so check in your key pouch after you've checked in.

One grip - Wifi wasn't included. I think it was $19.95 for 7 days - but I could be wrong. I feel that this sort of service should be included at hotels. Others might be happy paying.

So, would I go back. Yes, I am in December.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Right in the heart of Melbourne with a Kitchen

Dear MJButler7,

Thank you for your lengthy and very informative comments following your 4 day stay with your wife at Stamford Plaza Melbourne. We really appreciate the time you have taken.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you back later this month.

1,188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011 via mobile

booked this hotel as a gift for my mother on her stay in Melbourne. upon booking having read other reviews I requested a room that would b quiet meaning no noise from busy elevators and clubs. ( i asked nicely by the way). Upon checking in I reiterated that although we booked for two nights we were only staying for one and late check out the next day leaving them to make a double profit off the room that very night. this fact offered us no complimentary extras in acknowledgement. fine. but the room we were given was right across from the elevator and now as I type I can heAr the night club from down below. I specifically asked for a quiet room and we got put by a elevator and near club!!I am glad we Are not here another night and I am upset. of all the hotels I could have chosen..and I only give service a 2 instead of one due to the friendly door man.

• Stayed December 2011
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear Centella 1,

I am sorry we did not get your booking right. I would like to apologise and would appreciate it if you would give me a call on (03) 9659-1175 to discuss further.

Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I hadn't realized that we would get a room with a kitchen and sitting area, so this was a nice surprise. Even though we were there for only 4 nights, we appreciated being able to use the refrigerator and have real dishes. My husband liked the room more than I did but I didn't find anything wrong with it. It just had a few quirks, like the shower door that opens only partially, so you need to reach around the door to turn on the water. Even with long arms, I had to be IN the shower to adjust the water temperature.

As far as service was concerned, housekeeping was average, with little things forgotten, like removing the ice bucket. Room service delivered ice quickly but no one took the bucket in the morning. Service at the bar was great !

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Red Nailz,
Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. People like our suites with the kitchen due to the extra space they create, whether they use them or not. Many families come to stay with us for this reason. I am sorry the ice bucket was not taken away. I will discuss your comments with our Executive Housekeeper.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

We stayed here for honeymoon. Basically we choose this hotel because of it location and also based on people review / feedback from internet. It located at strategic location and its not far from business centre. The room was absolutely great in condition, and the service was wonderful. Staffs were helpful and friendly. We would love to comeback again for birthday or anniversary next year. I would love to recommend this hotel to my family members and friends.

Room Tip: gym located at floor 11 and 10
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Melikhai,

Thank you for your lovely comments, we appreciate all feedback. We certainly hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to Stamford Plaza Melbourne.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

The room given to me was out of this world! Two TV's, lounge, kitchen, all in the middle of the city of Melbourne.

Good restaurants around the place, ok breakfast. Overall very good service as well.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear Madman101,
Thank you for putting your complimentary comments on Tripadvisor. We were delighted you were so happy with your suite.

Come back to Melbourne again soon, we have so much to offer. Spoil yourself with one of our Magnificent Seven Burgers on a Wednesday, or on a Thursday try our freshly shucked Oysters.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Luxurious spacious suite with kitchen and laundry facilities. Staff were excellent and welcoming and did everything possible to assist me with a problem I had with luggage lost by the airline, that eventually turned up. Room service food was reasonably priced and good standard . I would agree with other comments regarding the smallish bathroom, and this would bother me more if staying on a holiday ,but for a business trip, the room was perfect. .This hotel is in a very good location if on buisness at the "Paris End" of Collins St in Melbourne.

Room Tip: Higher floors may have less noise from the early morning garbage trucks that travel through the back...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Dear Bon2005,

Thank you for staying at Stamford Plaza Melbourne on your business trip. I am delighted that you enjoyed the central location of the hotel, and the helpful service from our Concierge team. We will pass this on as it is important that our staff received positive feedback from our guests.

I am pleased you found the services and facilities of the hotel fitting for Business Travel.

We hope to see you back again soon.

melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

I took my mother away for the weekend to see Love Never Dies at the Regent Theatre. We got a good deal which inculded a 1pm check out, which had made the following day much more relaxing. I chose to stay at the Stamford mainly for the location, being so close to the theatre, a restaurant that I wanted to take mum ( Fabulous place call The Kitchen Cat) and the trams that would take us straight home the next day within a 2 min walk. I was surprised that the hotel still held my information from previous stay several years ago, which was just as fantastic. We got upgraded so my mum was very happy. The suite was luxurious. So wonderful to see quality furnishings with an elegant old world charm. It is most unfortunate these days that cheap and unsturdy furnishings are so widely used in modern style hotels and still expect to pay a high price. We loved everything about the suite and everything that was offered. A small but functional kitchen and bar area. Clever use of space. Lighting was practical. Air Conditioning/ Heater was easy to operate and quality of air was comfortable. Beautiful bathroom with a nice spa bath. Adequate bathroom amenities. Bed was cosy and comfortable. It was so comfortable that my mum refused to leave the room the next day, apart from getting breakfast! Buffet breakfast was delicious. Just enough variety and done with care. Scrambled eggs served in portioned size cups a much better way to keep quality than leaving a big dish of unedible eggs sitting in a pool of liquid, like most other hotels do. Have to say the overall breakfast experience at Harry's was far much better than our previous stay. Glad they had improved. It was also obvious that their maintenance team and housekeeping do, do their jobs properly. Not an easy thing to achieve but well done! Thorough cleanliness and general maintenance always get my utter attention, which can really affect my entire stay. Check in and Check out was efficient and friendly. What a wonderful place. Mum and I got to spend quality time together and she loved everything about it. Cannot wait to return but next time I won't be leaving my room at all...because there is no need to!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Stamford Plaza Melbourne? Share your experiences!