“excellent position, friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Melbourne

You added Stamford Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #39 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Australia
“excellent position, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

I stayed one night here and was reasonably happy with the Hotel. I had a suite and the lounge, kitchen and bedroom were lovely however the bathroom is really small and outdated. You would not be able to fit 2 people at the hand basin and the shower was in the bath and very low. Could not see that it could be adjusted. Had room service and was disappointed as the soup was barely warm even though the flavour was lovely.The upside for me was that the pool was warm!! most times pools are advertised at hotels as heated, yet you struggle to get in but the stamford pool was lovely.Staff were very friendly and helpful and even rang me during the day to say my room was ready as I had arrived early.The hotel is a five min. walk to the city centre and is in an ideal position for the theatres and one min walk thru a laneway to the Collins street tram. Overall I enjoyed my stay and would consider staying again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear Travelbug,

Thank you for sharing your review, and it was pleasing to note you enjoyed the swimming pool and our central location. We always strive to provide authentic hospitality to all our guests and a memorable experience. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed interacting with our staff and if you wish to highlight anyone in particular, please let us know so we can nominate them for our staff awards.

Looking forward to welcome you back again.

Like us on Facebook.

Karl Unterfrauner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
sydney, aus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I stayed here for work earlier in the week. I wasn't expecting much and was initially disappointed not to stay in one of my usual haunts. But I was very pleasantly surprised. The Stamford Plaza was actually pretty good and is an excellent location just off Collins Street.

My room was relatively modern and nicely furnished, as well as being clean and functional. It was also a decent size although I was only on the 3rd floor so had a fairly uninspiring view of a laneway.

I didn't dine in any of the restaurants or use many facilities as was only there overnight but enjoyed my stay and would stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Dear Marniemac,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay. Our newly refurbished rooms are suitable for business travelers, and we are pleased that you liked the style of furnishings we have chosen.

When you stay on a Wednesday (Stamford Burger Day), select one of our mouth watering magnificent Burgers.

Hope to see you soon.

Like us on Facebook.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I just wanted to advise of the wonderful experience we had in Melbourne whilst staying at the Stamford Plaza Hotel. We booked a twin room for the weekend. From the moment we arrived at the hotel to the moment we left everything was perfect. We arrived at 9.30am and I was quiet surprised to find that a room was available and we did not have to wait until check in time. Upon entering the room I was impressed with the decor, organisation and the cleanliness of the room. Rooms were a good size with a small kitchenette and living space, beds were comfortable. The bathroom was small but pratical, clean and water pressure of the shower was excellent.

Throughout our stay I found the hotel staff to be very attentive to our requests. Upon checking out of the hotel the concierge could not have been more helpful. Although he was very busy and surrounded by other guests, he assisted in confirming our flights, printing our flight details as well as booking the airport shuttle for us. Upon the airport shuttle arriving he insisted on carrying our luggage and all we had to do was take a seat on the shuttle.

It is really nice to stay at such a lovely hotel with such professional staff. I will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear Mhobbis,

I was delighted to read your comments and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Your complimentary remarks concerning our Concierge staff has been passed on accordingly as it is important that our staff receive positive feedback from the most valuable source, you our guest.

We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I last stayed at this hotel in 1995 and was expecting it to be old and dated. I had a pleasant surprise when I found that the rooms were fairly well maintained though not exactly modern.

Service from the front desk and concierge were good. Though I had major issues with housekeeping. One my first day I came back to my room with my nightie strewn over the phone on the bedside table. I had left it neatly folded on top of my bed that morning.

I ordered a burger from room service. I specifically asked them to cook it medium and it came super well done and as hard as a board.

I forgot to bring toothpaste with me so I asked housekeeping for some. They charged me aud4 for a very small tube. Pls also note that this hotel charges aud19.95 for Internet access.

Overall it's bearable, but I wouldn't stay at this hotel again as there are far better options in Melbourne.

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Corky_c

Thank you for your comments. I was disappointed that Housekeeping and Room Service let us down.
It was pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our Front Desk service and the recently completed refurbishment of our Suites.
The team and I would love the opportunity to have you back and show you how fabulous our Burgers normally are!

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I stayed here for business in early August and opted for the Stamford (over other hotels nearby) particularly for a special deal that included double frequent flyer points. The room whilst well appointed, was on the small side and the outlook was very ordinary..(into the building next door). For the most part, the service during my stay was friendly and prompt. However, it is now 3 months later and I STILL have not received ANY frequent flyer points for this stay. Despite contacting staff, the only response i've had has been two emails from the Assistant Manager assuring they will be "processed in the next couple of weeks". So, hardly 5 Star service I'd say.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear g d,

I am sorry you have not received your Frequent Flyer points and I apologies for the tardy follow up work from my team! We did experience a technical problem with the Frequent Flyer software, which caused the delay. My team have assured me that this has now been rectified and your points have been processed. Please contact me direct if there is anything further I can help with on this matter.

I trust you enjoyed the services and facilities the hotel has to offer and we hope to see you back soon.

Perth - Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I had the opportunity of staying at this hotel in April of this year with my teenage son. We were venturing out in the big city - doing what most AFL footy dads and sons should do and enjoy a full weekend of watching AFL. This hotel is close to the MCG - however there is a good walk to reach Etihad Stadium.
Upon arrival we were greeted by the friendly reception staff and directed to our room. The room itself was well appointed however being on the vertical side of things over 195cm the two king single beds were small. I know you only sleep in one, but a small bed does not include a good nights sleep. The sleeping area where the beds were placed I found were confined to being too close to the window - in such a position you were sleeping with the curtains.
Word of warning, if you are a light sleeper, ask for a room further away from Little Collins Street - I could easily hear the party scene going on by passers by during the late and early early hours of the morning.

Overall if you like to try something new, give it an opportunity - we did. Would I recommed it - perhaps not.

Room Tip: Request rooms away from Little Collins Street and not around levels 3, 4 or 5.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Fourlids,

Thank you for your feedback. The Hotel has completed a total room refurbishment recently, featuring many different sized rooms and beds.
Melbourne is a great city to visit and most destinations/venues are in walking distance of the hotel or a short tram ride away.

We would love to have you and your son back in the upcoming footy season to experience our refurbishment.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

If you come to Melbourne, do yourself a favor and stay here.

I am yet to this day able to find a room that compares in luxury to the Stamford Plaza Melbourne. There are 2 different kinds to choose from.

First: in the main tower where reception is located. These rooms contain marble bathroom, kitchen, lounge, desk area, small dining and king-size bed. 2 Lcd televisions, 1 in bedroom, other in the main bedroom. Absolute luxury.

Second: The rooms in the other tower where Harry's restaurant is located contain rooms like the above however with a much larger lounge room and internal balcony that looks out to the lift area. It is larger, however the first tower rooms are still quite roomy.

There are a number of TV stations and Movies to purchase.

Although I have stayed numerous times I have yet to eat in any of the restaurants. Melbourne is a food mecca and there is plenty of amazing, fresh food around to choose from.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
DustyMelbourne, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Dear QuinnOZ,

We are so pleased you keep coming back to stay with us and love your rooms. Make arrangements to come back on a Wednesday and try our 'Burger Special'.

Karl Unterfrauner

Been to Stamford Plaza Melbourne? Share your experiences!