“5 star treatment for everyone” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Early Booking
Ranked #11 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Traralgon Vic
“5 star treatment for everyone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The 5 star service starts the minute you pull in the driveway. Or in our case after you miss the driveway a couple of times and drive around the block!! Got 2 rooms on a wotif mystery deal to bring my simple country folk parents on a trip to the big smoke! I was a bit worried when it turned out to be the Sofitel as they are easily overwhelmed and don't like getting out of their comfort zone. I needn't have worried as the staff were so friendly and patient. They didn't even bat an eyelid as they tagged up my mother's bright blue 'Devondale' esky bag full of snacks and wine. The only thing brighter was the redness of my face. Both check in and check out were swift. Rooms are jaw droppingly gorgeous with uninterupted views like no other hotel in Melborne. It was too beautiful to close the blinds while we slept. Well lit vanity for doing makeup. Needs a bit more vanity space. Once you put your toilet bag down there's not much room for anything else. TV in the bathroom was a little wasted above what was a pretty average looking bath. Bathroom and room were spotlessly clean. 10/10 for the huge cosy comfy bed and heavenly feather pillows. We weren't too facr from the lift and could unfortunately hear the bell from inside our room which woke me up. Location is perfect for proximity to theatres and our favourite theatre the MCG. This hotel would be perfect if it weren't for one aspect shared by most hotels and restaurants. OVER INFLATED drink prices. The jig is up, we're not stupid, we know that we can by a bottle of Moet & Chandon from Dan Murphys for $50. Please stop charging me $15 for a glass of sav blanc when I can buy the whole bottle for less. If your mini bar was reasonably priced my mother wouldn't have to bring her eye catching blue esky would she? Nonetheless I still loved this place and I'm going back again this Wed for my b'day. Just hope mum's not using her esky.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeremy H, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I was glad to see you enjoyed your stay. I am glad the friendly hotel Ambassadors were there for you to make your stay a pleasant one. We look forward to welcoming you back on Wednesday when you celebrate your birthday.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Indonesian first
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Reception & lobby areas are on the first two floors, the accommodation is all from the 35th floor up of the Telstra building on Collins. Ideally situated with one of Melbourne's marvellous tram network stops outside. We have been warned though that parking here can be expensive,so if driving seek alternative arrangements (Google parking Melbourne CBD).
This hotel has the "WOW factor in spades and the staff were all extremely helpful & friendly. The views from the rooms are to die for, beds are extremely comfortable, my wife went into "nesting mode" & refused to get out!! The bathrooms are excellent AND functional in a country where they seem to go in for style over function meaning you get soap all up the mirror and miss the hand basin completely!
Thoroughly recommend

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I was glad to see you enjoyed your stay. I am glad the friendly hotel Ambassadors were there for you to make your stay a pleasant one. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Sale, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Excellent service by the conceirge and crew on arrival and departure. Front desk service also very good even though two sets of cards would not allow us access to our assigned floor from the lifts. Manager used different card and different lift and escorted us to our assigned room. Lighting in room is appalling as is the technical contraption that controls it. Service in Sophies Lounge was non- existant. Other than that it was all good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I was glad to see you enjoyed your stay. I was however disappointed to read about the lapse in service you received from the tea lounge, Sofi’s. I have passed on the comments to the relevant department to review the comments. I sincerely apologise for the impact this had on your stay. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We visited Melbourne for 1 night 2 days primarily to see the Monets Garden exhibition. My partner talked me into staying here as it was more central than another option I was looking at, and we ended up booking a club room for a bit of luxury.

I think we got an upgrade because we ended up in one of the huge corner rooms, level 37 in our case, and I think the other club rooms are quite a bit higher. But we were very happy as the room was so big and 37 floor is already plenty high up - and we were on a perfect corner where depending on which window you stood at, you could see everything from the MCG around to the northwestern suburbs into the distance.

Club Sofitel has something complementary going on almost all day - breakfast (long hours!), lunch, afternoon tea, canapes & alcoholic drinks (non alcoholic drinks any time), and at 8pm some sweet treats. Various TV screens as well but they don't dominate the room. Computers as well in a little nook. The main bar is very close by. Half the value of staying in a club room is being able to make use of all of complimentary food and drink.

The staff were all fantastic and helpful. Location is at the very east end of Collins St but very easy to get a tram for a few minutes down to the Swanston St & Elizabeth St area which puts you close to Bourke St Mall and Flinders St station. So really the location is great too.

The weather was pretty good and clear and there were such amazing views in most directions (either from our room or Club Sofitel) throughout the day and night. Even just looking out in one direction from our room you could see Fed Square, Yarra River, Arts Centre, Albert Lake/Park, the St Kilda breakwater, and of course over Port Philip Bay and various boats out there.

When we are back in Melbourne one day I think that unless we're low on money, we'll be staying here in a club room again!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review in Tripadvisor. I was glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The offering in Club Sofitel has been the talk of the town and I was glad that you enjoyed the experience. I will be passing your comment to the relevant department for special mention and it will be a proud moment for the Ambassadors. I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The Sofitel is a spacious hotel that boasts large, high-tech rooms. The attached mall is pretty horrible but Club Sofitel somewhat made up for that - all day complimentary snacks and drinks, with a great view of Melbourne. Unfortunately we weren't given the documentation for the Club upon check-in so that was an inconvenience. The hotel is within walking distance of most things but it does lack the "wow" of Crown on Southbank. You don't really feel like you're at the heart of everything. The bed was amazingly comfortable as were the rooms as a whole. Overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for posting your review in Tripadvisor. We have taken on board your review especially the missed documentation in Sofitel Club,upon check in. I am glad your overall stay was a pleasant one and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The good: great location, good view (from corner room), lovely room.

However: two problems we encountered which do not meet my expectations for a five star hotel. The lighting dimmer control system in our room was not functioning correctly (a light kept coming on and going off throughout the night). We reported this and it was looked at but not fixed. We were left a note telling us there was a problem with the dimmers - which we already knew! We were offered no compensation for this.
Also, I discovered a used band aid stuck to the bath towel I was using. Not acceptable, and disappointing for a hotel of this standard.

Room Tip: Good views from corner rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I was glad to see you loved the location, the view and the lovely room. I was however disappointed to read about the lapse in service you received from our Maintenance and Housekeeping Ambassadors and I sincerely apologise for the impact this had on your stay. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed here twice now for quick weekend trips. Both in Sea and land view rooms.
Service is fantastic and rooms whilst maybe a little dated compared to other 5* Hotels i.e. Westin are spacious and well appointed. The bed is very comfortable! As an Accor Le Club Platinum you are treated very well and the extra perks are great!

Location is just a short hike up from Swanston and handy to trams.
Definitely stay agian

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review in Tripadvisor. Thank you for choosing us for your weekend stay. I was glad to hear that we made your stay a pleasant one and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.